Firmware upgrade Failure DJI Repair

Reaction score
Has anyone experienced Hardware failure issues after a failed Firmware update?
My P3S flew fine. 2 days later it said update firmware so I did. It failed miserably. Contacted support and They looked my History over and had me send it in for repair.
Shipped it via the DJI UPS shipping label.
Just got a invoice for 4 new motors!!!!
How does this happen with firmware update failure.
Anyone, please school me.
Is it not DJI that is at fault here?
There were no crashes. No misuse...
Just a Firmware update failure.
1c938839d6af8c65633b9b48267ee310.jpg

There is the machine 2 days prior..
Flying like a top.

You should have written specifics, like version numbers.

Anyway one of the firmwares does update ESC status verification - so if a motor works below normal parameters, it is possible the update caused the drone to be more rigorous there.

Still, if I had such situation, I wouldn't believe the support. It sounds more reasonable that they just wanted to give an invoice.

I did the firmware updates not too long ago when I got my new P3A. Maybe I am looking in the wrong place but the latest firmware update I saw was v1.10.90. After I upgraded, I checked my system and it said that the firmware version installed on my system is v1.10.20. Why is this? And I haven't had any issues with my P3 since the upgrade.

I don't know of any full firmware, or any module within, which would have version marking 1.10.20.

PIC 02.PNG
I re-checked the About page and it did say v1.10.20. unknown where that came from. I performed the firmware upgrade again and now it says v1.10.90. Screwy!

Last edited:
Quaddamage, Sorry dude thought I had posted that before I left the US on work it's: 3.1.10 App version

DJI has about the most unethical practices on their After sales service. Dealing with them is probably one of the most frustrating things one can experience. There is NO service. They know they have your machine and they will do as they please once they have it. You have no control. Make sure you read there so called after sales warranty. Extortion is the simplest explanation as to how they roll.
Firmware Failure to a Quad that flew fine prior to the firmware failure... sent in at tech support advise... four (4) motors and other parts to an unabused or non-crashed Quad! Basically Thieves if you want your machine back! It's not about the invoice costs... it's about how they operate. Pretty piss poor service to say the least. DJI sucks... buyer beware.

Last edited by a moderator:
So update from the Dealings with DJI. Firmware Failure causing Hardware Failure.
Not sure exactly what to explain on this...
1st they tell me it's a GPS module gone bad and you need 4 new motors. Then they change their story when they figured out that the Phantom in the Shop was not a GPS Failure. It's The aftermarket Blade Guard screws.
Sad part, the P3S never had Blade guards on it of any kind.
It flew fine before the Firmware update...
As quaddamge wrote above. DJI is not about to admit that they and their were the issue.
After 6 weeks of fighting with them they shipped a Refurb and my machine obviously was tossed in a pile.
They will charge you whatever they feel like rest assured of that and unless you want to go to court over a 400.00 drone your gonna pay the invoice and they know that.
Money is not the issue. It's their shady business practices. Shady as ****.

Reactions: macoman
Guys... Let's not slam lawyers in general, or DJI for that fact. If you have a beef with either, simply state your case without using derogatory terms... Thanks...

-slinger

Are you a lawyer or just an easily offended sissy baby la la..
Lawyers are pussies.. all of them just so we've got that straight.
And your mother dresses you funny!

I know DJI does not have the best service but if the drone felt to the ground and it was the drone itself and not pilot error. They will repair the drone or give you a refurbished one. Now if they found out that was pilot error, prepare your wallet, because I doubt they will repair it for free.

DJI is all about DJI. They are in the market to make money. They are not in the business of taking responsibility of their handy work.
A machine that was not crashed.
Was flying just fine a couple of hrs prior to the Firmware update Failure. Single motor hardware failure after a Firmware update based on the information recovered from the files on the SD card and 3 hrs with tech support. They took my machine in. Said you need 4 new motors, top and bottom cover. They never even attempted to replace the motor or cipher how the Firmware Failure caused the Hardware malfunction. They tossed it in a pile. Grabbed a refurb and jammed it in a box and said you owe us 220.00 if ya want your machine back. End of Story. I could care less about the money dude.. it's the shady way they do business. I told them to send the machine back un-repaired. They refused. Several days fighting with them to no avail. Customer service said we feel your frustration... no pay us!
So.. buyer beware with DJI.. you send it in and your not getting your machine back your getting whatever they feel like sending you and charging you whatever they feel like.

I would send my drone some other repair center. In the US I have used usdronerepair. There are many more listed if you use your favorite search engine. Also,if so inclined, parts are now readily available for the do-it-yourselfer.

I would send my drone some other repair center. In the US I have used usdronerepair. There are many more listed if you use your favorite search engine. Also,if so inclined, parts are now readily available for the do-it-yourselfer.
Drone nerds is another repair center, DJI certified vendor.

You guys that sent yours back.....was it under warranty? Mine is less that 2 months old. Same problem as everyone else. Good before update, awful now. After 3 hrs of tech support they finally want it back. I've got it boxed up & ready to go, but now I'm a little gun shy after reading your replys

You guys that sent yours back.....was it under warranty? Mine is less that 2 months old. Same problem as everyone else. Good before update, awful now. After 3 hrs of tech support they finally want it back. I've got it boxed up & ready to go, but now I'm a little gun shy after reading your replys

You can try and send it to DJI but don't expect a quick turnaround and they may send you another drone that most likely will be a refurbished one.

Guaranteed that they will send you a different machine than the one you send in!!
It's how they roll.
Replacing Your stuff with some tards rebuilt crashed Junk!
My machine flew great.. I've had nothing but problems since they sent a refurbished pile back...
Buyer beware!!

Yes, if you can get competent repair elsewhere do it. Never trust the Chinese managed company. They will rip you off!

I had some problems with my P3A after loading the new updates. The worst problem was the new program would not allow me out of beginner mode. What a shock that was! After rebooting the update again the same problem persisted. Refered to one of the posts on this good Phorum that the OP rebooted the app.....problem solved. Had a little trepidation when I launched the bird that afternoon but it was unfounded...she performed FB.
...Jim

Reactions: Elijahjames74
I can’t believe they tried to say your motors where messed up from “The aftermarket Blade Guard screws” when you clearly never had any like you said. Some one is lying.
I sure like the picture of you phantom flying just 3 days before the update, in your first post.
By the way nice prop guards!!

Reactions: Brother Dave

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan