Firmware Upgrade Failed

Thanks Multi.....So I guess I am following the right instructions...its just not working for me. Does anybody have a step-by-step for dummies that goes into more detail than what is included in the manual?

Thanks - I tried that, but its more FUBAR now than it was the first time. When I get home rom the office tonight, I'll try installing the DJI GO on another device and see if that makes a difference.

When I got home from the office tonight, I decided to connect a different device to my P4. I've been using my Samsung Galaxy S6, but was able to get my son's iPod 6.

Its worth noting that ever since I update the DJI GO App for Android yesterday, the app has been recognizing my P4 as a P3 Pro.

Also, ever since the update yesterday, my camera has not been active.

I installed DJI GP on his iPod and its definitely a more polished experience and this recognized my bird as a P4.

Once I had the RC, the P4 and the iPod powered up and connected, it indicated that my RC firmware was current at version 1.6.

While still connected to the RC, it said all firmware was fine and I did NOT receive an alert for the P4 firmware being out of date. However, it did say that I needed to recalibrate my compass (which I did) and that my gimbal was not active, but didn't give me any options to correct that.

I then plugged my iPod into my P4 and it said that there was an "Air Encoder Error (0x800020) Restart Aircraft. Contact DJI Support if Problem Persists" As I was restarting the P4, the above code switched to (0x800020a).

I restarted and the same error came up.

I think I'm ready to call it quits and send this back to Amazon unless somebody here can advise me. Bueller? Bueller? :)

20160426_202519.jpg 20160426_202537.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Justgregg....I found that out the hard way. The last updates have been attempted through DJI GO.

I'm not having good luck today. I updated my Android DJI GO app today and was anxious to fly when I got home. When I was getting ready for take off, DJI GO recognized my P4 as a P3 Pro and I had no control of the camera and There was no video feed.

While I had my Android connected to the remote and the bird powered on, it told me I needed a firmware upgrade.

I tried to upgrade the firmware according to the instructions msinger provided yesterday, but this time the DJI GO app was not telling prompting me for the upgrade when I connected directly to the P4. I then connected directly to the RC and also wasn't prompted.

I read Randall Parson's post and used his trick to hold the graduate button down for 7 seconds. I tried to upgrade / downgrade to whatever options were available and it failed every time with my P4, but worked with the RC.

After trying to upgrade firmware for 2 hours, my P4 now has 4 red lights. Upgrading firmware shouldn't be this difficult. Can this be fixed...Do I need to put this back inits box and send it back?

Oh yeah...my "Overall Status" in the DJI GO app is now listed as ""Updates Required" "Abnormal"

Dude!! I've got EXACTLY the same problem as you. Have you found I way to fix it?

No image
No prompt to update (I'm updating and dowgrading the bird through Assistant 2 since it doesn't prompt anything. Doing this million times with no luck)
Updates Requite and Abnormal red error + Aircraft Enconder Error
Zero flights after 2 weeks I got it. ;(

Some of you with any ideia? The only thing I didn't tried so far was trying to update using Apple device.

Hi Evandro - The only solution I came up with was returning my P4 and exchanging it for another one. Good luck! I feel your frustration.

Try my advice from post on first page. It worked for me and seems to be the issue. If you have different problem going on, I'm very sorry.

So much good info here. I have been trying for 2 days to get the new firmware installed. The Go App does not have an option to upgrade the Birds firmware, it tells me to get it from the website. The website tells me to use the Assistant app.

The assistant app sees my Bird, but never presents a list of files to download.

Getting ready to return Bird, frustrated that I can not fly it

So much good info here. I have been trying for 2 days to get the new firmware installed. The Go App does not have an option to upgrade the Birds firmware, it tells me to get it from the website. The website tells me to use the Assistant app.

The assistant app sees my Bird, but never presents a list of files to download.

Getting ready to return Bird, frustrated that I can not fly it
Hi Romonaga

I have exactly the same problem. Bird plugged into Windows 10 laptop with Assistant 2, detects Bird but when on firmware update Tab, the spinning cog just goes round and round endlessly. I have made sure my firewall is not blocking the software, tried multiple connections, wifi and hard wired. Is there a way I can reset the Phantom 4 maybe ?

Tried the DJI go app which did say there was a new firmware, but when I try through that I get the problem of the download pausing all the time. Becoming very boring this.

Reactions: Romonaga
Yep, exact same issue. However, I did not try the GO app. I think the wording on go to the homepage was confusing me. I took that to be the website.

I will try again tonight using the GO app and seeing if that works now that I understand the process better.

I just want to fly.

Hi Romonaga

I have exactly the same problem. Bird plugged into Windows 10 laptop with Assistant 2, detects Bird but when on firmware update Tab, the spinning cog just goes round and round endlessly. I have made sure my firewall is not blocking the software, tried multiple connections, wifi and hard wired. Is there a way I can reset the Phantom 4 maybe ?

Tried the DJI go app which did say there was a new firmware, but when I try through that I get the problem of the download pausing all the time. Becoming very boring this.

If you are attempting to install over WIFI, this might be your problem. I have been told that the Bird will mess with WIFI.

My MBP can only do wireless, so I was unable to see if this was the issue. My only other machines that are wired are Linux machines and well, no app for it.

Also, the GO app I am told can update the firmware, however the instructions are unclear. When it tells you to download from the home page, the home page is actually the main page of the GO app.

So, if you are using WIFI and can wire your computer directly to the router, I would try that.

Yep, exact same issue. However, I did not try the GO app. I think the wording on go to the homepage was confusing me. I took that to be the website.

I will try again tonight using the GO app and seeing if that works now that I understand the process better.

I just want to fly.

I bet, its very frustrating. I had to delete my DJI go app and reinstall it so it would let me flly. after 2 days it lets me fly but then seems to find the new firmware then I can't fly again. I have tried to speak to DJI but their chat is offline all the time and they have no UK phone number. I purchaced the bird from a shop but honestly dont think they know that much about the phantom, but might give them a try.

Also getting the squeaking gimble when booting up. I am happy with the phantom but updating the software is a joke... Its awesome when you can fly it ! but I did not expect to have these problems concidering how much we invested in it.

I bet, its very frustrating. I had to delete my DJI go app and reinstall it so it would let me flly. after 2 days it lets me fly but then seems to find the new firmware then I can't fly again. I have tried to speak to DJI but their chat is offline all the time and they have no UK phone number. I purchaced the bird from a shop but honestly dont think they know that much about the phantom, but might give them a try.

Also getting the squeaking gimble when booting up. I am happy with the phantom but updating the software is a joke... Its awesome when you can fly it ! but I did not expect to have these problems concidering how much we invested in it.

I agree, firmware updates should be easy and painless. This is my first time owning a drone, I am technically proficient, yet I am finding it very frustrating. The worst, is lack of support from DJI, I would have expected some response or help.

The one time I had it in the air was a blast, but not comfortable flying the device, knowing it is 2 firmware revisions behind.

Thankfully I found this site. Lets hope both of our issues get resolved today.

I agree, firmware updates should be easy and painless. This is my first time owning a drone, I am technically proficient, yet I am finding it very frustrating. The worst, is lack of support from DJI, I would have expected some response or help.

The one time I had it in the air was a blast, but not comfortable flying the device, knowing it is 2 firmware revisions behind.

Thankfully I found this site. Let's hope both of our issues get resolved today.

Ok I have had a breakthrough with updating the RC and Bird. I had to use my girlfriends iPhone 6s in order to update. I don't know what the problem is but if I try to update on my iPhone (6s Plus) I keep getting the continue download problem where it gets stuck on 0%. I have no idea, anyway, I am going to plug my phone back in now and check all my settings, calibration e.t.c Out of interest what device do you have ?

I will plug my phantom into my laptop in a sec and see if it finally detects the firmware on DJI assistant 2. Good luck with yours later. Pics below.

P4 is my Bird.
I tried the update with my Mac Book Pro, then out of desperation I tried a wired windows machine. Tonight I will try the GO App now that I understand what I was doing wrong.

P4 is my Bird.
I tried the update with my Mac Book Pro, then out of desperation I tried a wired windows machine. Tonight I will try the GO App now that I understand what I was doing wrong.

Working on the laptop now that the firmware as updated through the GO app. Re calibrated all the sensors and if I get time will go for a flight to make sure all is well.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart