Firmware Upgrade Failed

Reaction score
Hi Gang - I just received my new P4 yesterday. After going though all the tutorials and charging up the bird and the controller, and installing DJI GO on my device, I fired up and I got an alert in DJI GO saying "RC Update Required".

Screenshot_2016-04-24-10-32-32.png

I downloaded DJI Assistant for Mac, logged in and wired up the P4 to my Mac. There were 2 updates available and I chose the newest of the 2. It downloaded, but the update failed to be installed. DJI assistant told me to reboot the P4 before clicking retry. I did. It failed again.

Screen Shot 2016-04-24 at 10.52.01 AM.png

I then tried to update the other firmware that was available. Same results. Are all updates done with the P4 connected to the MAC or should it be done with the controller connected?

Please help...I'm anxious to get off the ground in beginner mode.

Try installing the firmware from the DJI GO app instead. You'll want to install the Phantom firmware before the remote controller firmware. Use the included cable along with a Lightning cable (if you're using an Apple device) to connect your Phantom to your mobile device. Then, fire up the DJI GO app and wait at the opening screen for it to show the firmware update message at the top. After installing the firmware, connect your remote controller to your mobile device, start DJI GO, enter the camera view, and install the remote controller firmware update.

Thanks msinger. Here's what I did....I connected my P4 to my android device using the included cable. I powered on the P4 and the DJI GO app. I selected P4 from the home screen and hot "camera". the status at the top of the next screen simply says "disconnected" and its not giving me an alert about the firmware.

Any suggestions?

OK - tried it again - got the firmware alert...it began to download and I walked away for 2 minutes. Came back to the attached screen. Screenshot_2016-04-24-11-58-57.png

I have been finding with many download failures are due to a loss of Internet connectivity during the download process. Many of my clients that have P4's are having this issue so they bring it to my shop where I have a dedicated Internet connection and it worked flawlessly every time. So be sure that there are no other devices or things connected to the Internet during the upgrade process as it appears that there must be a flawless download. Also be sure the sd card is inserted as well.

Thanks blue bird and msinger. Finally got firmware updated on the rc and the bird. Recharging my batteries and getting ready for my first flight. The directions you guys gave are much better than the video tutorials that dji gave

Reactions: Drone Master
Thanks blue bird and msinger. Finally got firmware updated on the rc and the bird. Recharging my batteries and getting ready for my first flight. The directions you guys gave are much better than the video tutorials that dji gave
Be sure to do your IMU calibration and compass calibration before lift off! Happy flying! :cool:

NJDroney, good! I'm happy to hear you got it working :)

Blue bird where is your shop located? How much do you sell p4?
We are located in Miami Florida. P4's are still priced at $1399.00. We as a dealer have to follow map pricing, However we do offer P4 combo kits with some discounts. PM me for more info as we are not a approved vendor here on the forum just as of yet. Gotta follow the rules of the forum.

I have a similar problem but possibly harder to fix. I updated the firmware on my p4 remote and then went on my macbook and downloaded the assistant 2 program and tried to update the firmware for quad on there only to get a failed message. I did have constant, uninterrupted internet connection. Found out through research that that app is screwed. So here is my big problem. The DJIGo app says that the firmware is good, yet my quad is blinking two yellow lights where they use to be green and the little red light next to sd card is blinking. The remote also says no remote signal so I can't fly it. I have researched all over the forums and internet and am currently waiting on phone with dpi support. Please help me.

I hate customer support. They can't fix something, they put you on hold and hang up. BULLLLL! First he told me that it is a security feature after the update that the remote signal is lost and power it down for 5 minutes and it will work. Then he had me hold down the graduate button on djiapp for 7 seconds and it brings up firmware version and place to downgrade i think. But it said message "Get firmware version failed" and had no options to pick. The guy says hold on one minute, puts me on hold for one minute and hangs up. I love flying this thing when I'm able but this is ridiculous.

EDIT: He did say lets try to downgrade the firmware on the remote, then upgrade the copter first, and then upgrade the remote. That is what we were about to do but I have no firmware options on that menu. Hope that may help with anybody else's problem.

Big News! I think I fixed the problem that we are all having. After another bullshiz call to DJI customer support and no help, I tried a few things and what I found to work is turning off the quad. reinstall the djigo app on your device if it is giving you no option when you go into the firmware version screen (by holding down on the graduate button for 7 seconds). When you log back into the device connected to your remote controller that is powered on and you go back to the firmware version screen, it should now find versions for you to select. Downgrade the remote back to 1.5 and then restart everything. When I did this my lost signal and yellow lights went away and i was back in the air. Just to check though. Now my dpi go app is asking to update the firmware. This is the way you want to update the quads firmware. Not through the Assistant 2 app.

Reactions: shaanar
Big News! I think I fixed the problem that we are all having. After another bullshiz call to DJI customer support and no help, I tried a few things and what I found to work is turning off the quad. reinstall the djigo app on your device if it is giving you no option when you go into the firmware version screen (by holding down on the graduate button for 7 seconds). When you log back into the device connected to your remote controller that is powered on and you go back to the firmware version screen, it should now find versions for you to select. Downgrade the remote back to 1.5 and then restart everything. When I did this my lost signal and yellow lights went away and i was back in the air. Just to check though. Now my dpi go app is asking to update the firmware. This is the way you want to update the quads firmware. Not through the Assistant 2 app.
This was the right answer. You have to update the aircraft firmware first. If you are like me and rushed the rc update first everything else fails. After going backwards on the RC firmware I was able to do the aircraft upgrade. I did this all on the GO app. No assitant app was needed. Thanks for the help Randall!

I'm not having good luck today. I updated my Android DJI GO app today and was anxious to fly when I got home. When I was getting ready for take off, DJI GO recognized my P4 as a P3 Pro and I had no control of the camera and There was no video feed.

While I had my Android connected to the remote and the bird powered on, it told me I needed a firmware upgrade.

I tried to upgrade the firmware according to the instructions msinger provided yesterday, but this time the DJI GO app was not telling prompting me for the upgrade when I connected directly to the P4. I then connected directly to the RC and also wasn't prompted.

I read Randall Parson's post and used his trick to hold the graduate button down for 7 seconds. I tried to upgrade / downgrade to whatever options were available and it failed every time with my P4, but worked with the RC.

After trying to upgrade firmware for 2 hours, my P4 now has 4 red lights. Upgrading firmware shouldn't be this difficult. Can this be fixed...Do I need to put this back inits box and send it back?

Oh yeah...my "Overall Status" in the DJI GO app is now listed as ""Updates Required" "Abnormal"

You DO NOT have to update the bird first. I just updated everything this evening, no issues. First, I did the controller with tablet over wifi, tablet connected to controller with USB cable. The bird is not even powered on. Next, put the BIN file on the SD card, fed it to the bird, powered on the bird, updated no problem. The controller was turned off. I then checked the SD card txt file, all was good. Wiped the BIN and txt file, reinserted the card in the bird, turned on everything, ready to fly. I have done this so many times without any issues, yet I keep seeing posts with all kinds of failures.

I'm not having good luck today. I updated my Android DJI GO app today and was anxious to fly when I got home. When I was getting ready for take off, DJI GO recognized my P4 as a P3 Pro and I had no control of the camera and There was no video feed.

While I had my Android connected to the remote and the bird powered on, it told me I needed a firmware upgrade.

I tried to upgrade the firmware according to the instructions msinger provided yesterday, but this time the DJI GO app was not telling prompting me for the upgrade when I connected directly to the P4. I then connected directly to the RC and also wasn't prompted.

I read Randall Parson's post and used his trick to hold the graduate button down for 7 seconds. I tried to upgrade / downgrade to whatever options were available and it failed every time with my P4, but worked with the RC.

After trying to upgrade firmware for 2 hours, my P4 now has 4 red lights. Upgrading firmware shouldn't be this difficult. Can this be fixed...Do I need to put this back inits box and send it back?

Oh yeah...my "Overall Status" in the DJI GO app is now listed as ""Updates Required" "Abnormal"

I feel your pain bud. I was feeling the same way earlier today. Sorry this didn't work for you. It did work for me. I was gonna try the sd card thing but I have a Macbook so I didn't think or see much info on how to do it on that. Hope you get it figured out.

Does anybody read the instructions anymore?????
Not sure what you mean. The only instructions Ive come across are in the User Manual and I'm following them....its just not working. If you know a better way, then go ahead and share it with us
.Screen Shot 2016-04-26 at 7.17.08 AM.png

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj