Firmware Update Limits Range

Reaction score
I just updated the firmware (June 28, 2017) and got a warning that my range and altitude would be restricted with the update.

Went out and flew off a boat in tough conditions in the Pacific ocean. Set the drone to Return To My Location.

The boat left the drone, and the drone would go UP or DOWN but would not fly forward.

We had to maneuver the boat under the drone to recover. Battery down 25%, afraid the thing would auto land in the ocean.

How can get my settings back, so the drone will have a range more than 50 meters? Why would firmware update automatically limit your range?
Thanks for any help.

Dallgire

How can get my settings back, so the drone will have a range more than 50 meters? Why would firmware update automatically limit your range?
Watch this video for more details on how to avoid those limitations:

Reactions: skyranger
msinger,
Thank you very much for posting this link. Big I help. I really appreciate it.

This was an extremely annoying feature of the new firmware, potentially fatal to my drone. I was flying off a boat for the first time. Launched, and the boat moved 50 meters away from the drone. I could see the drone, 60 meters off the port side of the boat. It would go up and down, but would not move toward the boat.

Battery starts getting low and this thing is going to auto land (in the ocean.) Tense moments, Got the boat under the drone and recovered.

But just let me say for the record, this is a REALLY STUPID NEW FEATURE of the firmware.

Anyway, thanks again for the link msinger.

dallgire

Last edited:
Too bad this video doesnt explain why DJI is now locking out entire green and yellow zones with no way to fly no matter what you do in the areas.

Too bad this video doesnt explain why DJI is now locking out entire green and yellow zones with no way to fly no matter what you do in the areas.
It doesn't explain it since that issue is not related to the change we're discussing above.

It doesn't explain it since that issue is not related to the change we're discussing above.
...which, incidentally, has been discussed here numerous times in numerous threads (the temporarily limited range after the update, that is) since the update was released many weeks ago.

So for the past 2 days I have been experiencing similar flight restrictions. I was logged in, with updated firmware, and flying in uncontrolled airspace.

My flight status showed green and Ready to Go (gps) with approx 14 satellites.

Once I took off, the flight status would switch to green In-Flight (GPS) and I was restricted in elevation (90m) and distance (maybe 40m?).

I have searched through everything I can find... can anyone point me in the right direction on how to fix this issue? Thank you very much in advance and have a great weekend.

I have searched through everything I can find... can anyone point me in the right direction on how to fix this issue?
Did you see any messages in your flight log that explain what happened? If you didn't review your log yet, you can upload and view it online here.

Did you try logging out and back into DJI GO and/or reinstalling DJI GO?

Just tried both uninstalling / reinstalling app and logging out / in... same issue. It should be noted that it switches flight modes to In- GPS as soon as I take off. Once I land, it switches back to green Ready to Go (GPS).

Thank you for all this. My problem is that I am filming in remote areas of Northern California, where there is no cell service. This is a huge detriment to me being able to use my P4p professionally.

I am also in Nor Cal and luckily the past 2 days of this issue hasn't been for a commercial job but I have one next week that I need to have my p4p up and ready for! [emoji27]

Thank you for all this. My problem is that I am filming in remote areas of Northern California, where there is no cell service. This is a huge detriment to me being able to use my P4p professionally.

I was attempting a test to get shots of sailboats finishing a race from California to Hawaii. The rich yacht owners hire helicopters and pay $1000 per hour to get these shots. Someone saw my professional drone footage and offered to take me out for some sample video, to see if I could get the shots. Should have been easy. I've been getting awesome surf video from a half mile offshore, no problem. May I swear on this forum? G*#&$R*$#MN DJI came out with this update and I lost the job and almost lost my drone. Out on a boat with large ocean swells, stiff wind, and my drone parks itself 50 meters away and won't move.

Oh, how I hate software updates. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
**** Allgire
Honolulu

So how are you guys getting past this? I completed the firmware update the day it came out and have flown almost everyday since... I've only had these issues during the past two days. I am planning on calling DJI support in the morning... has anyone had any luck with them?

I will let you know. I sent an email for help to DJI. (Some claim that is a futile gesture.) Going back to the local drone store tomorrow. There's a former military guy who runs it, who is on top of all the software issues. He's quite helpful.

I might go out tomorrow and record a video of my login, all my settings, then attempt to fly at the location that's giving me trouble.

I got the drone earlier this year and took it slowly, studying the manual, watching YouTube videos. I went to a park and flew in beginner mode, up, down, left, right. Learned to land etc. Then out a bit farther. Tested different features, flew responsibly. I got pretty good, and have been able to go offshore for almost a mile and get professional video. I thought I had it all down.

I'm still hoping there is some setting that I missed, or a bug in software that will be fixed.. something.

Keep us updated because I am so lost as to how proceed! I have literally tried everything!

Watch this video for more details on how to avoid those limitations:

Hello again everyone,
This video is really helpful, because if the conclusions he makes are correct, then that means We can not fly our drones past 50 meters in remote areas without cellular connection or wifi connection. There seems to be some confusion on various postings on the range issue as some people think that occasional logging in to DJI will keep them flying reasonable distances . It appears this is not the case.
For those pilots flying in urban parks with cell service all is fine with the new update. For some us on jobs in remote areas, we are looking like complete idiots as the producers are asking why I can't fly my drone to get a wider shot!

No matter what a try I can't get my Phantom 4 Pro past 46 meters unless I am logged on for that flight.

If anyone has a work-around I would so very much appreciate it. I was supposed to be filming for a documentary today, but I will not be using my P4p until I know I can fly past 50 meters.

Thank you to everyone following this issue.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockymountaincaptures