Fireworks

Reaction score
My P4P arrived yesterday just in time for New Years. I have moderate experience with the P3P but never at night. Any suggestions on good quality footage for tonight? Thank you everyone.

Fly over the Statue of Liberty for best results.

My P4P arrived yesterday just in time for New Years. I have moderate experience with the P3P but never at night. Any suggestions on good quality footage for tonight? Thank you everyone.

Fly over the Statue of Liberty for best results.
I flew the Statue of Liberty last April. I found a very nice and secluded launch site for that, outside of the Liberty park boundary (according to google maps), and hidden from most people that would walk by. Only 4100' from the statue, easy range to capture. There's a little structure here with a little bench to sit on and good shade to minimize screen glare. The closest parking is about 1000' away, so you have to walk down a walking path with your backpack, or do what I did and have your wife drop you off, and call her later to pick you up.

upload_2016-12-31_15-45-50.png

upload_2016-12-31_15-42-16.png

upload_2016-12-31_16-3-48.png

Zoomed in
upload_2016-12-31_16-12-17.png

Last edited:
I am very surprised that the area around the status of liberty is not considered restricted air space.

I am very surprised that the area around the status of liberty is not considered restricted air space.

It is , that spot on Freedom Way is in the park and there's two HUGE signs when you enter the park that says NO DRONES ALLOWED
The statue is a big tourist spot with lots of helicopter tours around all year long

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

NYPD Puts Drone Operators on Terrorism Watch List - DRONELIFE

If caught you will be assessed a minimum of a $10,000 fine, charged with a misdemeanor, and now placed on a watch list that will hound you every time you go to the airport.

It is , that spot on Freedom Way is in the park and there's two HUGE signs when you enter the park that says NO DRONES ALLOWED
The statue is a big tourist spot with lots of helicopter tours around all year long

On the NW side of Freedom Way is park property, but if you notice in the first picture I posted the launch site isn't within the Liberty park jurisdiction, however the park surrounds it. Ask the park ranger, the park doesn't maintain this area anymore, and it shows from lack of maintenance. This land is part of the Richard J. Sullivan Nature area, which is within park physical boundaries, but the Liberty park rangers have no jurisdiction from what they told me. Apparently the park officials didn't want the maintenance responsibility or liability of the swamp area for some reason, likely financial. This was separated from the park about 10yrs ago. However to get to this nature area you must pass through Liberty park, but there are no rules against that. Technically this isn't flying in Liberty Park, so I flew it. Did I ask for permission, specifically to fly a drone, NO! But it was safe and I wasn't bothering anyone.
Yes, helicopters and planes fly the Liberty island area all the time, but they are above 500', unless there's an emergency on the island of course. Early morning is the least traffic. The only no fly zone established is over Liberty Island and Ellis Island, which is logical. With VLOS from this site you can easily see aircraft coming into the area to avoid conflict, it's a pretty clear view fortunately. My flight encountered no other craft, but I was near the island for only about 5-6min, about 250' high.

Others who have have flown in Liberty park jurisdiction are definitely stopped when rangers notice. You are basically told no more flying, and you have to stop and go home. They don't cite you for anything unless you disobey their orders to stop flying. That warning policy may have changed since I was there in April, so I'm not sure about that.

Airmap NFZs

upload_2017-1-1_13-8-17.png

Last edited:
NYPD Puts Drone Operators on Terrorism Watch List - DRONELIFE

If caught you will be assessed a minimum of a $10,000 fine, charged with a misdemeanor, and now placed on a watch list that will hound you every time you go to the airport.
That might also stop them from getting their Part 107 exemption. :cool:
Wonder how CN stayed off that list. He's constantly using the airport, and whenever in town, is seen flying some sort of drone in almost every one of his daily (now retired) vlogs!

On the NW side of Freedom Way is park property, but if you notice in the first picture I posted the launch site isn't within the Liberty park jurisdiction, however the park surrounds it. Ask the park ranger, the park doesn't maintain this area anymore, and it shows from lack of maintenance. This land is part of the Richard J. Sullivan Nature area, which is within park physical boundaries, but the Liberty park rangers have no jurisdiction from what they told me. Apparently the park officials didn't want the maintenance responsibility or liability of the swamp area for some reason, likely financial. This was separated from the park about 10yrs ago. However to get to this nature area you must pass through Liberty park, but there are no rules against that. Technically this isn't flying in Liberty Park, so I flew it. Did I ask for permission, specifically to fly a drone, NO! But it was safe and I wasn't bothering anyone.
Yes, helicopters and planes fly the Liberty island area all the time, but they are above 500', unless there's an emergency on the island of course. Early morning is the least traffic. The only no fly zone established is over Liberty Island and Ellis Island, which is logical. With VLOS from this site you can easily see aircraft coming into the area to avoid conflict, it's a pretty clear view fortunately. My flight encountered no other craft, but I was near the island for only about 5-6min, about 250' high.

Others who have have flown in Liberty park jurisdiction are definitely stopped when rangers notice. You are basically told no more flying, and you have to stop and go home. They don't cite you for anything unless you disobey their orders to stop flying. That warning policy may have changed since I was there in April, so I'm not sure about that.

Airmap NFZs

View attachment 72202

LOL, I don't know where you got your information from but Its wrong and the only reason I'm correcting it is because someone may go down there and fly and find out the hard way:oops: ,that's just what that little section(36 acres) of the park (1200+acres) is named it also has a building located there which is named the Interpertive Center which is finally being renovated , The State brought in a half dozen goats last year with an electric fence and left them in that heavily overgrown section between Freedom Way and the trail from the map and let them eat that whole area clean of all vegetation from the ground to as high as they could reach .
I lived here my entire life before there even was a Liberty Park located there, trust me its part of the park and the State does maintain it .
Here take a peek...>> NJDEP-News Release 05/128 - DEP Dedicates Portion of Liberty State Park to Honor Richard J. Sullivan - State's First Environmental Commissioner

I flew the Statue of Liberty last April. I found a very nice and secluded launch site for that, outside of the Liberty park boundary (according to google maps), and hidden from most people that would walk by. Only 4100' from the statue, easy range to capture. There's a little structure here with a little bench to sit on and good shade to minimize screen glare. The closest parking is about 1000' away, so you have to walk down a walking path with your backpack, or do what I did and have your wife drop you off, and call her later to pick you up.

View attachment 72152

View attachment 72151

View attachment 72154

Zoomed in
View attachment 72155
You got your wife to carry you up and down the track?

LOL, I don't know where you got your information from but Its wrong and the only reason I'm correcting it is because someone may go down there and fly and find out the hard way:oops: ,
When I was there in April and I saw a guy flying from the southern parking lot. A ranger went up to him and stopped his flying. I spoke to the guy flying after he landed. He said the ranger was nice about it, just said he can't fly here, no citation. Later I saw another ranger and asked him about the Sullivan area (not mentioning drones), and he said he didn't know much about it since it wasn't their territory to patrol. This is what triggered me flying there the next day, hidden behind the bushes on that walking trail. Maybe I misunderstood him, but his attitude was he didn't care about that area, calling it a marshland.

Do you have experience of what happens if caught flying there in Liberty Park? Have you seen someone get cited? If yes, do you know the cost of the citation?

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tpren3