Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Firefighters Can't Save People Burning in Cars Because of Drone

Discussion in 'News' started by Andy Collins, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Andy Collins

2. AYA74

Some have commented it is not true (the drone flying, not the fire). The firefighter helicopter could have easily washed out this drone by dropping its water on top of it. This being said, clearly, stay away of any rescue operations.

Tallyrver likes this.
  3. dalebb

Plus the wind in Cajon pass is very strong, I find this hard to believe.

4. jasonb777

The article is not accurate. There is no people in the cars. But at the same time if you see a fire you should know that its not safe to fly because there is always a chance of heli's being in the path. This is just more media brainwashing and nothing more. I have lived on camp lejeune (military base) for some time and I can assure you a small 5 pound quad will not even effect a rotor on a heli. These guys out here doing there flying chop up birds all the time. A buddy of mine that is a osprey mechanic says they fly through whole flocks of large birds and grind them to nothing without a single mark on the props.

desertcat, J.James and YolevonALLin like this.
  5. Kman

i think the government has another agenda for articles like this. They will use it, regardless if it's true or not, to pass very strict drone laws in the future.

I find it hard to believe for various reasons. Mainly because when I fly and I go out a couple hundred feet I can no longer see my P3. How the hell are the fire fighters spotting the drone? Literally makes no sense.

desertcat, flax, Coldfire and 3 others like this.
  6. Foosy

This 'report' was written by Alisa Walker. I cannot take someone seriously when they end up with a sentence:
    If you have drone—and I think I can stay this with some certainty—stay the **** away from wildfires.

This thing was written to generate rage, and it is successful, if you look at the talkbacks.

Makes you think if there isn't another agenda here:
    Could it be that firefighters are concerned that now they can be monitored, that their work can be scrutinized? This could spell the end to the myth of the firefighters as heroes. I have already seen another drone video in which firefighters were lazy or not going with all their might at a fire. That video ended with the drone being shot with water.

We should be careful in both directions: not all drone operators are moron or criminals. Not all firefighters have an agenda against drones. In this world, there is place for both. Firefighters will need to learn to operate in conditions where there are drones or UAVs, and drone operators will need to fly safely in a way that does not interfere with the work of firefighters.

J.James and skyhighdiver like this.
  7. Kman

I think it's more than that. The Feds will use these "stories" to pass strict laws in the future. It's honestly, more than likely, all made up.

8. Sammynels

I'm a firefighter and I'll be honest here.... If a UAV ever interfered with firefighting operations I would shoot it down with a stream. No doubt about it.

9. Kman

Anyone notice no video or pictures have ever been uploaded by these drone operators flying over forest fires?

I honestly think it's all made up so they can pass strict laws in the future. "But think of the children burning alive because we can't save them because someone is flying a drone."

10. Foosy

Let's try to quantify 'interfere'.
    What can a UAV do to prevent you from doing your work?
    Unless you mean that there is an array of drones, blocking your way to the fire.

11. Brad Pierce

Did i see aerial photosn of this fire in the article? If it wasnt safe to fly, how did they get the shots???

12. DrewFlies

DrewFlies Guest

Im sure the operator was Manofword trying to get his 2nd paycheck.

skyhighdiver likes this.
  13. FDNY_Chris

Come on, if a quad bothers you at a job to the point where you divert from the task to shoot water at it that's ridiculous. It's a flying camera, not a swarm of hornets.

14. AmosMoses

I've said it before and I'll say it again. This kind of fear tactic and smear is done in cooperation with the news copter pilots and their reporter buddies! These pilots fear for their jobs and will do everything they can to justify their unnecessary existence. Jmo.

There's another video of the fire and at the end the reporters just so happens to have a Phantom to use as an example for the report! Hmmmm..... How convenient is that?? They just drive around with a drone in their news van?? So easy to see what they're doing...
    Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

#14 AmosMoses, Jul 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
    desertcat, contact23, J.James and 2 others like this.
  15. bobmyers

For some reporters, writing fiction is job security. Look at some of the major news organizations-- everyday is a fiction story book. The news is whatever propaganda supports their agenda--

desertcat, contact23 and AmosMoses like this.
  16. n6vmo

Folks, its a technology blog, run by Gawker Media out of the Cayman Islands.

Only read by three people, including the original poster.

desertcat, contact23 and bbfpv like this.
  17. AmosMoses

Sheeple-fools-who-believe-the-mainstream-news-has-no-agenda-but-to-report-the-truth.jpg

GoodnNuff, desertcat, flax and 5 others like this.
  18. Foosy

Not only was the image in the article taken from a helicopter, there is a helicopter in the picture!

So there were 2 copters in the air, but the firefighters could not go up there because of the drone.... Right.... And the news copters were not interfering.... Right.

I am actually starting to think, that the drones filming events are a threat to journalists, which is why the media is joining in the frenzy.

desertcat, J.James, Airborne and 2 others like this.
  19. AmosMoses

ABC news report. Not just some blog...fast forward to 1:35..

20. Andy Collins

I don't follow any of the conspiracy theories,,but it sounds like a drone was in the area based on several reports (or at least it was reported to authorities one had been seen). This type of press just makes the general public more concerned about drones,,if you think restrictions are bad now (I really don't), then hold on to your hats

Let congress get involved, trying to 'save people from deadly drones",,and we will be lucky if we aren't limited to 20' AGL in our own backyard,,,we need to be doing everything possible to help people see drones in a different light,,get press for working with law enforcement as volunteers, helping to educate people the good drones can do, they aren't just toys for men with big ego's that want to prove high they can go and where we can go no matter what the FAA says

Clinton Balmain likes this.