Filming after dark?

Use auto settings and play around with the AV value (Aperture value). Here is my shot in the dark:

If you take your UV filter off and just go with the camera lens itself, I have found night images to come out much clear and non-pixilated. I typically will go to auto ISO and touch area I want to it to adjust off iPad.
Also turn off your front lights.

No, but to get an idea of what it might look like, here's one I did spur of the moment (gross amateur job, no previous planning, old fashioned gimbal) and I didn't change anything on my FC200:

You know you can turn those red LED's off at night right? Awesome video, but I noticed the red glow. I wasn't sure if you knew that or not. Go into settings, on the aircraft there is a menu option to turn arm LED's off or on. Makes for much better night video.

Paul

Last January I gave a friend a P3Std and here's a production he made a few months later.
Starwood Forever

don't mean to hijack the thread but this is related:

i was planning a 'blue hour' long exposure still shot(s) at a local body of water (1-2 foot waves)

i'm looking to get that 'milky' effect on the water with a long exposure setting and an ND filter.

has anyone done this? was looking for the correct exposure length to shoot for here, without adding too much noise.

thanks in advance

You know you can turn those red LED's off at night right? Awesome video, but I noticed the red glow. I wasn't sure if you knew that or not. Go into settings, on the aircraft there is a menu option to turn arm LED's off or on. Makes for much better night video.

Paul
On a P2V?

Just remember the FAA rules. 1 Hour before sunrise to 1 Hour after sunset ONLY. You cannot fly at night unless you are a commercial pilot and have a waiver for night flying from the FAA.

No, that is incorrect. The FAA says that sUAS are permitted to fly during "Civil Twilight" which is defined as 30 minutes after sunset and 30 minutes before sunrise local time.

I don't have a 107 but this is what I recall reading (and I'm not gonna cheat and look it up so you guys can tear it up):

There is no restriction on night flying for hobbyists.

Commercial guys can fly during civil twilight as defined above, but they must have the proper lighting - meaning they have to be visible by something like two miles away in every direction? Something like that.
They can't fly at night.

Let the carnage begin...

I want to film the Xmas display in our local park after sunset. I have preflown the route and saved it to my waypoints so I just need to operate the gimbal during flight time. Any ideas for camera settings on my P3A for night time shooting?
I see you're in Idaho, its apparently illegal to fly at night without a waiver from the FAA.

I think you may mean EV (exposure value) if in auto mode and TV (shutter speed) or ISO in manual mode. The P3 has a fixed aperture.
Correct. My beer was telling lies....

I don't have a 107 but this is what I recall reading (and I'm not gonna cheat and look it up so you guys can tear it up):

There is no restriction on night flying for hobbyists.

Commercial guys can fly during civil twilight as defined above, but they must have the proper lighting - meaning they have to be visible by something like two miles away in every direction? Something like that.
They can't fly at night.

Let the carnage begin...
Actually you can fly commercially at night with a daylight waiver. Even though 2016 has been just an awful year, the bright spot for me came in August when 107 and authorizations and waivers became a reality. Now having my license and daylight waiver, I can fly day or night as a hobbyist or commercially. Tremendous progress in a few short months.

Most of my flying is at night. With the polar pro led lights I can see my phantom out to 7000ft. Also makes it easier to spot other aircraft!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Actually you can fly commercially at night with a daylight waiver. Even though 2016 has been just an awful year, the bright spot for me came in August when 107 and authorizations and waivers became a reality. Now having my license and daylight waiver, I can fly day or night as a hobbyist or commercially. Tremendous progress in a few short months.
Yes, of course. But you still need the lights, right?

Here's one I did Saturday night. P3A set in auto and iso was at 3200 I believe. Before you start go into settings and turn off the front LED's!

Yes, of course. But you still need the lights, right?
I personally use polar pro lights in conjunction with the P3 orientation lights but as far as the faa is concerned it's about conspicuous lighting to be seen up to 3sm for manned aircraft. I and many are choosing the ds30 strobe to meet that requirement. My review of that strobe.

Last edited:
cf8e9f273d73f691fddd0dddb50c6f92.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: jc523

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka