Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Feature request: set minimum height for return-to-home

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision + Discussion' started by InterMurph, Jul 19, 2014.

1. InterMurph

After more than two months of flying my P2V+, I had a disaster yesterday.

I was in a salt marsh, flying about 1,000 feet away. I decided to fly it around a small island. Once I flew it behind the island, it lost the control signal, and initiated the return-to-home procedure.

Because I was flying about 20 feet off the ground, it rose to 60 feet and headed home. Unfortunately:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z8O5i1ajLM[/youtube]

The trees on the island were more than 60 feet tall, and my drone crashed. I was able to retrieve it with a bow & arrow, fishing line, rope, and some shaking, and it's flying again.

This was my fault; as soon as I flew it around the island, I realized what would happen, but that realization came too late.

But it would be really nice if the Phantom 2 Assistant software allowed us to set the minimum height for return-to-home. I would probably set it for 200 feet, which would have avoided this near-catastrophe.

2. z10m

You can set your RTH point at any altitude you want by flipping S2 5 times.
    You were very lucky that it stayed on the tree.
    Whats the damage if any.?

3. InterMurph

Setting the return-to-home point solves some problems, but not others. Specifically, there are only two dry points within a quarter mile of here; my takeoff point, and this island.

The drone is fine; a few scratches, but no damage.

4. npalen

I'm able to reset the home point horizontally but not vertically. Running 3.04.