FC540 VS. BLAde 350 VS PV2

Reaction score
Hi,

I got an AR Drone recently, 2.0, spent a bunch of time upgrading and messing with it, anyway, in the end a total money pit and waste of money.

I flew a blade 350 at a local store, and they offerred me an FPV setup with goggles, go pro, but its about $1,100...then I saw this FC540.

Main concerns with FC540:

Battery life/flying time: Anyone put a bigger battery in it, lie 5,200mah?

Range: Can we use a wifi repeater for the FPV video?

I have flown both. I don't believe you will see a significant difference in flying time. As far as FVP, for the FC40 you would have to use a different frequency from 5.8. I like 5.8 for the control because there is less chance of interference. Personally, the big difference between the two is the construction. The FC40 is much heavier and stable in winds. The 350 is made from much lighter materials. As a camera platform, if I am in a budget, I'll take the FC40 any day.

I own a Vision, a Phantom 2 and building a F550. The FC40, I bought it for my brother in law.

I've also heard of problems with GoPro cameras and the Blade 350 where it disrupts the GPS lock. Also problems with the blades props with some people reporting them breaking. I'd say go with the Phantom all the way.

The Phantom FC40 is the same as the 1.1.1 phantom except it uses the 5.8ghz transmitter. I think you can fit up to 2700 mah batteries in the bird itself. You can also fly with two batteries in parallel and get around a 20 minute flight time with a GoPro and Zenmuse attached. It's been done before you can look up youtube vidoes on it. Also a company DSLR Experts makes a very expensive prepaid Phantom 1 fpv kit which shows them using it with two batteries in parallel.

You can use any off the shelf wifi repeater to extend the range of the camera on the Phantom FC40.

For portability you will need to use a lipo battery with an adapter to plug into the repeater.

You can also get this portable battery http://www.foxtechfpv.com/monitor-battery-p-597.html

or you can use an UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply).

Also the Phantom is a more reliable and highly upgradable system than the Blade.

Phantom 2 Vision will give you better flight times than either, has upgraded Naza controller and boards among other things. It's an easy to use ready to fly FPV platform. The camera that comes with it is easily comparable to a Hero 2 or Hero 3 silver in terms of video quality. And people on average easily get the 300 meter fpv range advertised. Which is easily increased by spending a few bucks adding a higher gain antenna to the included wifi repeater that comes with the vision.

Phantasmic said:
BenDronePilot said:
The camera that comes with it is easily comparable to a Hero 2 or Hero 3 silver in terms of video quality.

The Vision's video is heavily compressed while the Hero2 and Hero 3 Silver captures video that has two to three times as much video information.

The Hero 2 also allows you to control sharpening, WB, noise, and also allows for much better color correction.

Not "easily comparable" IMO.

Looking at the video quality, regardless of actual file size, I would call it Easily Comparable. Maybe not to a Hero 3+ Black edition. but absolutely in comparison to the Hero 2 or 3 Silver.

Phantasmic said:
BenDronePilot said:
Looking at the video quality, regardless of actual file size, I would call it Easily Comparable. Maybe not to a Hero 3+ Black edition. but absolutely in comparison to the Hero 2 or 3 Silver.

That's interesting as video (or photo) quality is directly related to file size given the same resolution.

Absolute quality, but not to the naked eye quality.. For example. You can take a picture on a good quality digital camera. Do shots from 3 megapixel through 10 megapixel. The 10 megapixel pictures are going to have far more "data" and built in "quality" than the 3 megapixel images and with that larger file sizes. Though when viewed at normal size where it fits the screen, many people will not notice any immediate or apparent difference between the lower quality pictures versus the higher quality ones. The only time you will see a difference is when zoomed close into the pictures, or when printing the pictures on large format paper versus a smaller printout. The lower megapixel pictures will appear more pixelated with less detail than the higher megapixel images when viewed at the same zoom level. This same principal works for video taking on a Hero 2 or 3 camera versus the Vision. The quality of a Hero 2 or 3 Silver may contain more information than the Phantom camera. But that difference may not be readily apparent to most casual viewers. I really don't think this needs to be discussed or debated beyond this point.

Phantasmic said:
BenDronePilot said:
This same principal works for video taking on a Hero 2 or 3 camera versus the Vision. The quality of a Hero 2 or 3 Silver may contain more information than the Phantom camera. But that difference may not be readily apparent to most casual viewers. I really don't think this needs to be discussed or debated beyond this point.

Yeah, I get it. You claim that you can't see a difference so therefore they are "easily comparable." That's very subjective and contrary to the objective facts relating to the different camera systems. Heck, you've even equated the Vision camera to the Gopro 3 Black.

You either have eyesight issues, poor quality monitors, only watch videos at small resolutions, ownership goggles, or a combination of some or all of those.

Many folks (as you know from previous posts wherein you were educated) can indeed see the difference between the Vision and the GoPro cameras. Which they should since the Vision video is very, very compressed (11 mbps) compared to the GoPro footage (25-45 mbps). The GoPro footage would also look pretty poor if it was that heavily compressed. In addition, those facts don't even account for the color correction and other advantages that the GoPros have during editing.

My eyesight is fine, I have a high quality IPS Panel for my computer and my Phone and Tablet also have IPS panels. I'm providing my unbiased opion from my own experiences and observations as well as others I've asked. I'm also only really comparing the Phantom 2 Camera to that of a Hero 2 or Hero 3 silver. And I also state "comparable" not "The same" or "exact" when referring to quality. So get off your high horse and judgmental attitude. Anyway I'm not going to waste any further time debating this as it's been done already in other threads and it strays off the whole point of the original thread as to what quad copter to choose. NOT Camera.

P.S.

Because Mr GoPro Fanboy (Phantasmic) feels the need to so fervently defend his beloved GoPro against all comers. And for the sake of keeping you best informed so you can come to your own conclusion. I'm including several links to direct comparisons of the Phantom 2 Vision Camera to the GoPro Hero 3 Black, (which is higher end than the two I was saying were only "comparable"). I'm also including a Direct Comparison Video between the Phantom 2 Vision Camera and the Sony Action cam and finally a link to a video comparing the GoPro Hero 3 Black to the Sony Action Cam. Oh and a last touch, showing some awesome video of surfers and beaches taken from a Phantom 2 Vision.

Phantom 2 Vision vs GoPro Hero 3 Black. Direct Comparison Video one from ElefunTV
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GWFfBEbkZg

Phantom 2 Vision vs GoPro Hero 3 Black. Direct Comparison Video two. From Helipal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny3-AwvmRtw

Phantom with Zenmuse H32D Gimbal and Hero 3 Black vs Phantom 2 Vision. Note the Video quality similarities not the shakyness.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_Mo9I8ZnHU

Phantom 2 Vision vs Sony Action Camera HDRAS15 Direct Comparison.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJ8xhgrI_80

GoPro Hero 3 Black vs Sony Action HDRAS15 Direct Comparison.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrGOFTNZgMc

Nice Beach flying with DJI Phantom 2 Vision
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZlvER-WmI4

P.P.S.

I brought up the camera quality of the Phantom 2 Vision since I was including it in my overall list of Quad Copter selections so people can have at least a basic idea of what kind of video quality to expect from it. And NOT for this thread to become a "my camera is better than your camera" debate from GoPro Fanboy Phantasmic, or anyone else for that matter.

I've always enjoyed the GoPro. I was actually one of those old dudes that purchased the first 'standard def' GoPro. Yes...i'm old and kicking myself for not buying stock with the company. I had zero idea it was going to be so big. And now, this is coming out. Has anyone used it with any success? It says "shipping soon" but i know some of you guys 'know people.'

http://nofilmschool.com/2014/01/gopro-h ... mschool%29

Also ... We should all stop nit-picking and remember why we're here.
Shall we go to the Serengeti? I was here 2 years ago (no, this was not me) and never even heard of the Phantom yet. Man, it was tough just bringing my camera and video gear..chargers,cables,batteries,manuals...
http://fstoppers.com/a-beautiful-aerial ... lled-drone

Enjoy!

len750 said:
I think I'm learning too much. But I do love it.

LOL. Stay out of the fray my friend.

If you can't afford the vision but still want a fun toy, the FC isn't bad. Although the reality is that you're buying a phantom one with CVS junkie kodak pocket cam. It's certainly not going to give you footage that you'll enjoy when you compare it to phantoms with gopros but if it's all you can afford, then it's all you can afford and it fills that void.

Ksc said:
If you can't afford the vision but still want a fun toy, the FC isn't bad. Although the reality is that you're buying a phantom one with CVS junkie kodak pocket cam. It's certainly not going to give you footage that you'll enjoy when you compare it to phantoms with gopros but if it's all you can afford, then it's all you can afford and it fills that void.
But maybe, when the budget allows, the FC could be fitted with a GoPro. With the FC running 5.8 controls- the GoPro wi fi could be used.

discv said:
Ksc said:
But maybe, when the budget allows, the FC could be fitted with a GoPro. With the FC running 5.8 controls- the GoPro wi fi could be used.

Exactly right, and you can use any wifi range extender to boost the range.

discv said:
Ksc said:

I thought I read that the FC40 transmitter does not have the gimbal control on it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing