Fast drop from 1499 feet

Reaction score
The other day a friend and I were out flying and his standard decided it was done flying and fell to the ground from 1499 feet.
Surprisingly all that broke was the camera and gimbal. It was ripped off and now it's just the 2 antenna wires and the plug hanging in its place.

I'm trying to get the .dat flight logs off the Drone but it's not letting me access anything.

When I power on the rc and Drone the light on the rc always stays red and it doesn't get any telemetry data on the app. Only thing it shows is 100% video signal 0% control signal. Weak control signal.
I have opened the Drone and all connections are good and nothing broken. All that's missing is the camera and gimbal. The little control board above gimbal is still fine too. Plug is good but antenna ends were ripped off.

Any ideas on getting the flight logs from the drone?
Would not having a camera and or gimbal installed cause a connection issue?

I'll post the video of the standard falling from the view of my P4. The video from the standard was corrupt.

Thanks in advanced

The log files are stored on your mobile device. You can access them without the phantom.
There is a second set of more detailed logs on the phantom itself, it sounds like your trying to access these ones yes?

The camera/gimbal assembly on the phantom 3 S contains the WiFi radio for the telemetry etc you won't be able to access any functions on the app without a working gimbal attached.

The log files are stored on your mobile device. You can access them without the phantom.
There is a second set of more detailed logs on the phantom itself, it sounds like your trying to access these ones yes?

The camera/gimbal assembly on the phantom 3 S contains the WiFi radio for the telemetry etc you won't be able to access any functions on the app without a working gimbal attached.
Yes those are the files I'm looking for. Says "flight data mode restart aircraft to reset" but can't do anything after connecting USB to pc.

Ahhhhh. It's strange that they would route it through the gimbal. I'll let him know. He bought a pro already but still wants the standard as the rc is boosted with better signal then my P4.
Thanks Phantom-Paul.

Any ideas to why I can't get anything from the drone itself? More details needed as the app flight records don't show anything to why the motors stopped and went upside down. He thinks he may have did the dreaded CSC and it should show that in the log from the drone.

Any ideas to why I can't get anything from the drone itself? More details needed as the app flight records don't show anything to why the motors stopped and went upside down. He thinks he may have did the dreaded CSC and it should show that in the log from the drone.
You ripped the 2.4GHz antennae (the grey and black wires), so DJI Go cannot send the command to put your P3S into data transfer mode. There's no way for the DJI Go app to connect to the P3S without 2.4GHz signal. You need one or 2 new antennae for 2.4GHz to at least temporarily re-establish connection

Reactions: Jimmers
You ripped the 2.4GHz antennae (the grey and black wires), so DJI Go cannot send the command to put your P3S into data transfer mode. There's no way for the DJI Go app to connect to the P3S without 2.4GHz signal. You need one or 2 new antennae for 2.4GHz to at least temporarily re-establish connection
14392f7d3866f55844e44ab26cba77bd.jpg

So I just need to reconnect these two wifi antennas and I'll be able to enter data log mode?

Any ideas to why I can't get anything from the drone itself?
Maybe it's damaged ?
More details needed as the app flight records don't show anything to why the motors stopped and went upside down. He thinks he may have did the dreaded CSC and it should show that in the log from the drone.
He thinks he might have CSCd (?)
That's not something you do by accident or in normal flight.
You have to be doing some stupid extreme moves to accidentally CSC.

What does the flight record from the app show?
Go to https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Follow the instructions to upload your flight record.
Come back and post a link to the report it provides.

14392f7d3866f55844e44ab26cba77bd.jpg

So I just need to reconnect these two wifi antennas and I'll be able to enter data log mode?
You need a new antenna(s). It's almost impossible to solder that type of shielded cable for 2.4GHz. Here's what you need Amazon.com: DJI Phantom 3 Part #97 2.4G Antenna(Sta) 2pcs for P3 Standard: Camera & Photo for a real fix

If you want, you can use any cheap 2.4GHz ipx antenna temporarily, something like 2.4GHz Wifi Bluetooth Ipex IPX Antenna for ESP8266 Spark Core Zigbee RF Wireless | eBay just to connect and start the data mode

Why was your friend flying so high? The height does not matter too much regarding your damage, as you would have hit terminal falling velocity anyway from much lower, but 1499 ft AGL breaks the rules and recommendations in many countries.
More likely the AC was at or close to terminal velocity- 1600ft is the average for a skydiver.

Maybe it's damaged ?

He thinks he might have CSCd (?)
That's not something you do by accident or in normal flight.
You have to be doing some stupid extreme moves to accidentally CSC.

What does the flight record from the app show?
Go to https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Follow the instructions to upload your flight record.
Come back and post a link to the report it provides.
Yeah I'm not sure what he was doing as I was flying my P4 lol.

Phantom Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Log from his app.
I don't see anything out of the ordinary

Still flys fine just don't have any telemetry. I don't think he CSC as we tested it afterwards and had to hold the controls for 4 seconds before it was initiated.

I don't think he CSC as we tested it afterwards and had to hold the controls for 4 seconds before it was initiated.
When running the latest firmware, a CSC is initiated after 3 seconds. The flight log shows both sticks were in the bottom, center corners for 3.2 seconds at the end of the flight log. That's what caused the motors to shut off mid-flight.

When running the latest firmware, a CSC is initiated after 3 seconds. The flight log shows both sticks were in the bottom, center corners for 3.2 seconds at the end of the flight log. That's what caused the motors to shut off mid-flight.
I was waiting for you to comment lol. I don't know what he was doing to have the sticks in that position but he learned his lesson.

On the P4 it's left stick down and right and push the home button. Makes it so you can only do it if you want to not by accident. Thanks msinger, always appreciate what you have to say on here.

On the P4 it's left stick down and right and push the home button. Makes it so you can only do it if you want to not by accident.
I don't recall seeing anyone doing an accidental CSC since that change was made. It was a good move.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94