.......FangsCPO Flight #137, my 2nd crash

Reaction score
Here's a video of my recent crash during the warm-ups at the TLR Grand Prix Series Round 4. Luckily no one was hurt and the Phantom Quadcopter survived the crash. I was even more surprised that my ARRIS CM2000 Gimbal v4 and HERO3 also survived.

I took her apart after the crash, checked everything out and I was back in the air an hour later. Nice! Big Thanks to the guy that quickly ran out to the middle of the track and got my quadcopter out of harms way.

The crash was caused because I lost track of time and my stock lipos don't last as long as they use to. I'm now limited to about 4 minutes of flight time.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3W5JGIZ25c[/youtube]

137 flights and only 2nd crash plus its a pretty soft one simply due to 2nd level battery protection. I dont think your trying to crash hard enough :lol: I stopped counting both flights and crashes with probably a few more flights but also a few more crashes including a couple pretty good ones due too getting to like flying low fast and close to solid objects.

I think maybe time for you to get some new batteries and possibly try some other larger props, using 9050 triblades works great on my heavier setup and even if it goes into 2nd level I can still hover or slow the descent to avoid a crash like yours. Smaller props as your setup gets heavier with the gimbal and all, the extra weight and reduced lift will cut flight times pretty hard.

OSD is my next investment as there is a gimbal coming my way already. Having osd with batt level is a big plus to avoid any issues especially if using some older batteries that may start to have less capacity.

I've found after 60 or so recharges that the stock batteries, and the Turnigy ones, aren't lasting quite as long, 4-5 minutes tops with a gimbal and gopro. The gimbal is drawing from the battery too. I've started checking the individual cells with the EON Sentry before I fly, a $35 cost well spent, and I'd say half the time there is one cell of the three that has a lower charge. Maybe that is responsible for the shorter times. A new stock battery was like that off the start, it was 74% in one of its cells versus 97% for the other two. I have balanced them, it takes quite a while.

martcerv said:
137 flights and only 2nd crash plus its a pretty soft one simply due to 2nd level battery protection. I dont think your trying to crash hard enough :lol: I stopped counting both flights and crashes with probably a few more flights but also a few more crashes including a couple pretty good ones due too getting to like flying low fast and close to solid objects.

I think maybe time for you to get some new batteries and possibly try some other larger props, using 9050 triblades works great on my heavier setup and even if it goes into 2nd level I can still hover or slow the descent to avoid a crash like yours. Smaller props as your setup gets heavier with the gimbal and all, the extra weight and reduced lift will cut flight times pretty hard.

OSD is my next investment as there is a gimbal coming my way already. Having osd with batt level is a big plus to avoid any issues especially if using some older batteries that may start to have less capacity.

I've been very disappointed with the time gap between the 1st and 2nd level battery protection. I don't mind it coming down but that fact that it comes down fast because of the additional weight. I will definitely look into larger props. I'm currently using carbon fiber props and those are so much better than the stock props. My Lipo from Dronefly.com (mAh 2250 45C) works much better than the stock lipos.

Are they 8 or 9 inch carbon props? the 9's should be a bit better with overall lift and I used both sizes in carbons until I stumbled onto the triblades.

Gimbal and fpv also drawing power isnt going to help and the gimbal I am getting comes with a small battery so I can either use that or hardwire it in. Total weight with gopro of the xpg gimbal I am getting is 240g and plus the small battery that can power it for 1 hour would make it 290g. http://xproheli.com/products/xproheli-x ... ess-gimbal

Using smaller props I noticed the phantom drops very fast at 2nd level battery as the naza reduces rpm and with added weight and less lift this is a bit of an issue. You still never want to get to the 2nd level but with the triblades I can still hover or even gain altitude in 2nd level battery if needed. Overall they give me good flight times even with my heaviest 1.3kg 2x hero3 3d fpv setup. Stock battery around 6 1/2 minutes and 2700mah batts get about 8 1/2. I dont use the phantom battery any more just some 35-70c 2200mah turnigy nano and 30c 2700 batteries they all are still doing ok after quite a few charges.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl