Fail Safe Return to Home time to execute

Reaction score
Howdy, and thanks to the supporters of this forum.

I own several Phantom 2s and have noticed something inconsistent with them.

My oldest, upgraded to latest firmware/software, takes about 2 minutes or less to execute the failsafe or RTH procedure.

I bought a second one last month, and it also is upgraded with latest firmware/software. The difference however is this one takes nearly 5 minutes (4:47 and have video of it) to execute the procedure. Both units are set with same parameters for height, distance, etc.

This seems excessive to me, particularly if it is activated due to low battery condition. I will say that the precision of the landing spot is excellent, landing withing 2-4 feet of starting location.

Any thoughts, similar issues, or suggestions?

Howdy, and thanks to the supporters of this forum.

I own several Phantom 2s and have noticed something inconsistent with them.

My oldest, upgraded to latest firmware/software, takes about 2 minutes or less to execute the failsafe or RTH procedure.

I bought a second one last month, and it also is upgraded with latest firmware/software. The difference however is this one takes nearly 5 minutes (4:47 and have video of it) to execute the procedure. Both units are set with same parameters for height, distance, etc.

This seems excessive to me, particularly if it is activated due to low battery condition. I will say that the precision of the landing spot is excellent, landing withing 2-4 feet of starting location.

Any thoughts, similar issues, or suggestions?

There are two RTH/Failsafe settings One is in the third position of switch S1 the other is the critical battery RTH which is a bad idea. Reason for saying that is if your under something when the battery reaches the critical point you can be sure there will be damage as the ascent is fast. So you're better better off leaving the RTH check box unchecked in the battery section of the P2 software

Jason,

Thanks. Didnt realize critical battery was operating at different mode. My test was done via the switch.

But in any case why the difference in time? To add some additional data, time from selecting failsafe to beginning to return to landing hover was 1 min 20 seconds, stayed in hover mode over landing spot for 1 min 30 sec, decent 1 min 39 sec. I realize decent would be affected by preset return altitude, bot 1 min 30 secs at each waypoint seems high to me.

Jason,

Thanks. Didnt realize critical battery was operating at different mode. My test was done via the switch.

But in any case why the difference in time? To add some additional data, time from selecting failsafe to beginning to return to landing hover was 1 min 20 seconds, stayed in hover mode over landing spot for 1 min 30 sec, decent 1 min 39 sec. I realize decent would be affected by preset return altitude, bot 1 min 30 secs at each waypoint seems high to me.

Never tested how long it took to RTH just as long as it works then again I haven't upgraded my software and I am still using v3.08. With the v3.14 they have slowed down the descent rate again so there's no chance for VRS to occur. When you triggered RTH on both quads were they at the same distance. At what altitude do you have the RTH set to? Should be no lower than 36m (118') as quad are trees favorite food.

Jason

Yes agree, mine are set at 300 ft. Distance was about same. Time differential just seems too big.

Last edited:
Jason

Yes agree, mine are set at 300 ft. Distance was about same. Time differential just seems too big.

Here's a clue in how this forum system works. In the gray bar you have your screen name, envelope and a flag. In the bottom right corner of this post there is a reply button that will quote my post and at the same time will put a red number next to the flag which indicates there is a question or an answer when a reply is posted. The envelope is for answer to personal messages and works the same way as the flag. This saves time if the person you are quoting is still on line.

Here's a clue in how this forum system works. In the gray bar you have your screen name, envelope and a flag. In the bottom right corner of this post there is a reply button that will quote my post and at the same time will put a red number next to the flag which indicates there is a question or an answer when a reply is posted. The envelope is for answer to personal messages and works the same way as the flag. This saves time if the person you are quoting is still on line.
Thanks

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl