FAA says Geese are Safe within 1 Mile of my local Airport?

I live within 9km of private Helipad and so now and with the new laws I'm technically not permitted to do even a fun/test flight without securing an SFOC. But get this, that Helipad owner also maintains a big and active goose pond! So what's good for the goose is not necessarily good for the gander-drone.

From this week, a bird strike Collision with bird forces emergency landing of helicopter

And I live under a helicopter flight path between two hospitals, not the one mentioned above, but I rarely see them fly, what appears to me, to be above 400 feet.

With so many local drainage retention ponds and hundreds of geese, I've often thought these aircare pilots are tempting fate flying so low.

Have heard it suggested that drone ratings are coming where one can add qualifications to one's rating and thus fly higher and closer to currently restricted areas. Thoughts?

Have heard it suggested that drone ratings are coming where one can add qualifications to one's rating and thus fly higher and closer to currently restricted areas. Thoughts?

Can you link us to some of these? That would be interesting to read about.

My neighbours have their own runway, both Ron & his wife are avid pilots, flying a number of Cessna's & Ron also flys/builds, contraptions, that actually fly!
Sunday, i'm prepping dinner & Bev, Ron's wife calls, "We need your help, come quick & bring your UAV".(note-both Ron & Bev, refuse to use the "drone" word).
The issue- Ron wants to take up a client in his 2 man homebuilt, but, local Canada geese won't get out of the way!
This time of year, smallish pond has formed at end of the runway, geese use as a social gathering stop.
So, up goes my P3A, I come over them at 60 meters, slowly lowering into the biggest pod of them to scare em off.
5-6 of these big muthers take off & circle my P3, turns into a chase/follow escapade,. I realize if one of these big guys hit me,i'm toast, plus, at distance, its hard to tell them from me, all are white blobs in the sky.The rest of the flock, say 40-60 of them, has taken no notice at all!
Mission is a total failure, Bev says- They're just playing with you! RTH is initated & out come the shotguns!
Fun day though

Has the FAA tried talking to these birds about flying around airports?

fea415db4d82e54c745d188cd6375147.jpg

Reactions: 805hd
And once again I state that my little Phantom is a tiny problem in comparison.

Do you really think all the regulations are justified for a 2.2 lb Phantom Drone? I don't.

There's no way all of those regulations are justified for a single 2.2 lb Phantom drone, but how about millions of Phantom drones? Throw in a bunch of Mavics, Inspires, Solos, Autels, home-mades, as well.

If the airspace included only one aircraft, your 2.2 lb Phantom, we wouldn't need an FAA and the RCAA (Rod Cambridge Aviation Administration) would suffice. Your Phantom isn't the only bird in the air.

The regulations are required because of the operator(s) involved.
There's where the danger lies.

Reactions: BigAl07 and 805hd

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka