FAA Remote Pilot License and UAS Registration Recognized Abroad?

Reaction score
In the same way that many other countries accept American drivers licenses, and even motor vehicle registrations in some cases, do you know of any country (countries) that recognize and accept FAA Remote Pilot licenses and UAS registrations as valid and in lieu of their own?

My experience after traveling a lot over the past 2 years with my P3S is that it seems to always hinge on hobby vs commercial. So while you won't need to register it to fly in Spain, Australia, etc for hobby use, commercial would require it.

In the same way that many other countries accept American drivers licenses, and even motor vehicle registrations in some cases, do you know of any country (countries) that recognize and accept FAA Remote Pilot licenses and UAS registrations as valid and in lieu of their own?

Few countries have such so no. You're really subject to local rules and regulations as a hobbyist. Commercial? Forget about it - you'd at least be violating labour laws and likely various commercial licensing rules long before you get to aviation rules.

Point: Canada: severely backward drone rules replaced backward drone rules. But there is no need to register oneself as a drone operator (US hobbyist) or drones (US commercial). But you must have your name, address and phone number on the outside of the drone. (In the US the reg number can be inside the battery compartment).

I just came back from New Zealand, over there they did not recognize my 107 cert. but they do not differentiate between commercial and hobby instead they do not allow someone to fly within 4k of any airfield or in controlled airspace without having a “Wings” badge which you get by taking a test through the Model Flying New Zealand clubs. There was plenty of places to fly though so I planned my flights through airshare (there version of airmap.io) and made sure not to fly over conservancy land.
So while they don't care about the 107 it was not a problem. Every country will be different though.

My experience after traveling a lot over the past 2 years with my P3S is that it seems to always hinge on hobby vs commercial. So while you won't need to register it to fly in Spain, Australia, etc for hobby use, commercial would require it.

Except in Spain the fine for flying a drone is Euro 400,000 as it is illegal in nearly all areas of Spain.

Except in Spain the fine for flying a drone is Euro 400,000 as it is illegal in nearly all areas of Spain.
Unless the laws have changed dramatically since I was there April 2016 (which I can't find information or regulations showing they have), that is not true for hobby flights. Commercial, as i said above, is a whole other ballgame in other countries (like here). When i researched flying in Spain, it was basically the common sense rules we have here for hobby flights (<400ft, not over people, not within 100m of buildings etc.).

I didn't start this thread to find out the regulations for this or that country. Instead I want to know if USA yet has reciprocal arrangements with any other countries. That is, they accept our license and drone registration and we accept theirs.

I didn't start this thread to find out the regulations for this or that country. Instead I want to know if USA yet has reciprocal arrangements with any other countries. That is, they accept our license and drone registration and we accept theirs.
No

I thought not. Why not? Wouldn't it be a good idea?

Not really. Different countries have different laws. Here in Taiwan we do not need to be registered so there would be nothing to exchange.
If I came to the US it's simple to register online.

Wrong. As a hobby drone fliers you have lots of additional rules. No fly in any controlled airspace. That means all the big spanish cities are out. 8km from any airport,etc etc. Fines for not obeying are one of the biggest in the world. As an amateur you can get frpm 300€ min to 225000 € depending on the ofence.

Unless the laws have changed dramatically since I was there April 2016 (which I can't find information or regulations showing they have), that is not true for hobby flights. Commercial, as i said above, is a whole other ballgame in other countries (like here). When i researched flying in Spain, it was basically the common sense rules we have here for hobby flights (<400ft, not over people, not within 100m of buildings etc.).

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl