FAA Remote I.D.

I've not been keeping up with the forum for quite a while so excuse me as I'm not going to read through all the posts to get a full picture of everyone's thoughts or become more thoroughly educated before posting this. I don't think the cost of drone ID or how it will play out has been nailed down to any extent as the rules are currently being negotiated but..
I think drone ID could really suck for those who only fly for recreation however for commercial flyers not so much.since It is obvious that with regard to photography, businesses like realators, roofing companies, construction, and many more will simply purchase their own drone to take photographs as needed without procuring the proper credentials. This probably applies more to smaller outfits rather than larger companies. Larger companies may still do it themselves but use an employee who is a certified pilot. With drone ID it could raise the bar enough that those whom are performing commercial drone work without those credentials begin hiring more outside contractors to do this. The MLS for most larger cities for example has many aerial photos in which realators simply 'winged it'. For the cost of 2 or 3 photo shoots they can own a drone and the enforcement is pretty much non existing This type of rule skirting has become part of the fabric of our society so why would we expect otherwise.

This will just cost us more money. I have a limited data plan, now I will have to run data at all times in the air, or be within 400 ft of the controller.
I will be asking for that to be extended to 1000 ft.
If there is no WiFi or cell service, you are screwed.

Here is an example story:
Joe is a farmer who is using his UAS to track his cows. Joe's farm has no wifi and Joe has a flip phone because he is scared that the government is too invasive. Joe does however know how to read a sectional chart and knows that he is in G airspace without an airport for 50 miles.
But Joe can not take off or fly more than 400 feet from himself if he could or he will get a $20,000 fine from the FAA.
Joe will be counting cows from his horse today.
End of story.

I am all for the aircraft flying around broadcasting whatever will help identify it to authorities, but this whole "hook it to the internet", mentality has got to be thrown out.

Also what is to keep the USS providers from bilking us for $30 a month. Will the government be passing regulations to keep that $2.99 a month fee they use as an example? I doubt it.

How about we implement all this great technology into people's automobiles and see how that flies with the public, no pun intended.

:)
Joe profits from his cattle operation and therefore by rule should not be using a drone to count cows without a pilot license to begin with.

Joe profits from his cattle operation and therefore by rule should not be using a drone to count cows without a pilot license to begin with.
First of all, it’s not a “pilot license.” It’s an FAA certification for UAS. Secondly, this is a non-sequitur. The commenter (@dangerd) didn’t say the farmer did not have an FAA certification. And getting that certification has nothing to do with the burden the commenter refers to.

Reactions: xspwhite
First of all, it’s not a “pilot license.” It’s an FAA certification for UAS. Secondly, this is a non-sequitur. The commenter (@dangerd) didn’t say the farmer did not have an FAA certification. And getting that certification has nothing to do with the burden the commenter refers to.
Part of the issue he and many others refer to being that WiFi may not be available is short sighted.
Within a few years high speed satellite internet service will allow us to connect from anywhere and I know many farmers and ranchers who use drones without bothering with rules. It would be obvious to most normal people that the rancher in the example was not a rules person.
But since you want to stick strictly to the content of a post I'll point out that the subject matter of mine had nothing to do with whether or not it's called a pilot license or an FAA certification.
I suspect you may have some thirdly and fourthlys but no response needed, thank you

Part of the issue he and many others refer to being that WiFi may not be available is short sighted.
Within a few years high speed satellite internet service will allow us to connect from anywhere and I know many farmers and ranchers who use drones without bothering with rules. It would be obvious to most normal people that the rancher in the example was not a rules person.
But since you want to stick strictly to the content of a post I'll point out that the subject matter of mine had nothing to do with whether or not it's called a pilot license or an FAA certification.
I suspect you may have some thirdly and fourthlys but no response needed, thank you
Not needed. But I’d like to respond anyway if I may. Others are reading and learning.

1) WiFi being unavailable is a red herring. The proposal allows for pilots to fly with direct-broadcast-only if there is no internet connection. I’m not saying it’s *your* red herring.

2) I have zero clue how you surmised that the farmer is a rule breaker.

3) Quite correct that my issue with the term “license” may have been somewhat unrelated to your content and a bit pedantic (guilty as charged). But I do think it might impugn your credibility a tad. ;-)

Reactions: Lucky 777
So, will my P4P v2 be illegal to fly once this becomes law?

As it stands now most likely YES!

(I’m assuming a firmware update won’t be able to do what’s required)

I would NOT make that assumption especially not this early in the game. DJI has an option called Drone-To-Phone but even that isn't compliant because this thing isn't even finalized. It's like trying to design a part for a car engine and they haven't even decided on the specs for the car yet.

Way too early to go out on a limb.

Reactions: 2edgesword
As it stands now most likely YES!
But it’ll still fly?

I would NOT make that assumption especially not this early in the game. DJI has an option called Drone-To-Phone but even that isn't compliant because this thing isn't even finalized. It's like trying to design a part for a car engine and they haven't even decided on the specs for the car yet.

Way too early to go out on a limb.

All this is way to complicated for me to follow you really need to be a lawyer to comprehend this stuff but will / could turning to NLD help someone just fly once in a while to take the occasional picture , I turn my tablet into a personal hotspot via my phone , does this count as being connected to the internet, how can DJI wanna be for this being in place when it’s going to kill their bottom line ?

All this is way to complicated for me to follow you really need to be a lawyer to comprehend this stuff but will / could turning to NLD help someone just fly once in a while to take the occasional picture , I turn my tablet into a personal hotspot via my phone , does this count as being connected to the internet, how can DJI wanna be for this being in place when it’s going to kill their bottom line ?

We don't know what the finalized standards will be so no one can say for sure but I honestly don't think the situation you described will fulfill the whole requirement.

It's not going to kill their bottom line... odds are they will have a solution to meet the final requirement and it could even make them into a bigger player in the game.

My take on all this is I toss my Phantom 3 in the trash and call it a wash. Another win for Big Brother. It was fun while it lasted.

Reactions: MTO
We don't know what the finalized standards will be so no one can say for sure but I honestly don't think the situation you described will fulfill the whole requirement.

It's not going to kill their bottom line... odds are they will have a solution to meet the final requirement and it could even make them into a bigger player in the game.
Interestingly enough I got this pop up today starting up GO4

01F8B5F4-EA34-4CD4-9024-79FD1BA14D48.png

I got the same Pop-Up on all 4 of my devices yesterday and I didn't do any updates LOL! So apparently DJI has some "communication loophole" built into their app that doesn't need an update to utilize. Interesting . . . .

Has anyone else received an email from DJI yesterday Feb. 25, 2020 about the proposed Remote ID from the FAA with a response dead line of March 2, 2020?

Yes sir many of us got the email and the DJI Go App pop up about it.

I got the same Pop-Up on all 4 of my devices yesterday and I didn't do any updates LOL! So apparently DJI has some "communication loophole" built into their app that doesn't need an update to utilize. Interesting . . . .

I think way back in the beginning when you hit that “I Agree” or something like that you accept that zdJI still owns your drone, remember when DJI grounded everybody with a firmware update , even though you paid for it I betcha they can ground any specific drone/owner of an email they want

I think way back in the beginning when you hit that “I Agree” or something like that you accept that zdJI still owns your drone, remember when DJI grounded everybody with a firmware update , even though you paid for it I betcha they can ground any specific drone/owner of an email they want

No - you don't accept anything like that at all.

Reactions: BigAl07

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl