FAA Remote I.D.

I see. But your aircraft would still be transmitting the same data, so why would you want to do that?

A criminal might choose to do that because the internet record would be permanent, while the broadcast would only be available to anyone who happened to be there during the flight.

Adding the USS transmission doesn't increase the number of failure points because if the internet connection goes down it doesn't matter.

We can agree to disagree on this point. For example, when a dji drone interacts with geo-zones, there are sometimes problems. In theory, connecting to a USS will be of no consequence, but in reality, problems with digital handshakes happen all the time. Since the internet connection is not necessary to achieve what RID is supposed to be about, I see no reason to risk problems for no additional benefit. The FAA can present their grand scheme for a UTM next time.

In addition, the RSS scheme introduces a 'Pay for NAS access" that general aviation has been fighting for like forever. The FAA is trying to make it happen with uas right off the get go. Not good.

We can agree to disagree on this point. For example, when a dji drone interacts with geo-zones, there are sometimes problems. In theory, connecting to a USS will be of no consequence, but in reality, problems with digital handshakes happen all the time. Since the internet connection is not necessary to achieve what RID is supposed to be about, I see no reason to risk problems for no additional benefit. The FAA can present their grand scheme for a UTM next time.

One reason for the USS method is to provide an additional mechanism for LE to monitor traffic, either if they don't have broadcast receiving capability or if they are too far from the aircraft. I still don't understand what you are arguing are the problems being risked.

There is no dispute that anybody, in today's society, that has information will put it up for sale to the highest bidder, or bidders. I think people are concerned that they will be pointed out on a map by the USS providers, and therefore be subject to harassment, theft etc.by those who are drone haters. These feelings are not invalid.

Question: do the owner(s)/admins of these various “pilots“ forums intend to submit an official comment to the FAA on these proposals? If they do, I would be curious to read and if they are not then I would be equally curious to know why.

As one of, if not the, largest online forum for drones I would think the FAA would be very interested in what its thoughts were.
I can't speak for Admin on that and would not be my place to do it.
I guess we could ask, huh?.......

@clackey,@BigAl07,@dirkclod.......what do you guys think? Can we promote a group effort here?

Also, I was wondering this: How many TOTAL members are there in the family of Forums......all 15 of them. This would give us an idea of how many 'voices' could be added to this effort to keep our UAS's flying free.
As far as i just counted we have in all 15-323,058 members . How many of them are active or still here i haven't a clue .

Reactions: captainmilehigh
I’ll be submitting my thoughts once I have them on paper and tangible.

I don’t share the exact same ideas as the majority here so I can’t be lumped into a group response.

I’m not sure how much good a group response would be and I can tell you first hand that boiler plate (copy & paste) doesn’t carry any weight or at least not as much.

Reactions: captainmilehigh
I can't speak for Admin on that and would not be my place to do it.

As far as i just counted we have in all 15-323,058 members . How many of them are active or still here i haven't a clue .

How many of those are are from the USA? Don’t know if foreigners can comment, but they better pay attention as this will in some shape or form probably spread everywhere.

To be clear.... I was inquiring if there would be an “Official” pilots forum(s) comment. I wasn’t asking for individual ones

I’ll be submitting my thoughts once I have them on paper and tangible.

I don’t share the exact same ideas as the majority here so I can’t be lumped into a group response.

I’m not sure how much good a group response would be and I can tell you first hand that boiler plate (copy & paste) doesn’t carry any weight or at least not as much.

True, there are multiple opinions on this subject, and I too don't agree with all of them.

I think the main question being presented is: Can we (forum members) expect any input from the Administrators of these forums directed toward the FAA in the open comment timeline?

Hopefully a simple solution can be developed without another 319 page report. I feel the opinions of the administrators and moderators of these 15 forums would have a positive influence for the drone/UAS community. Thank you for your response Allen.

True, there are multiple opinions on this subject, and I too don't agree with all of them.

I think the main question being presented is: Can we (forum members) expect any input from the Administrators of these forums directed toward the FAA in the open comment timeline?

Hopefully a simple solution can be developed without another 319 page report. I feel the opinions of the administrators and moderators of these 15 forums would have a positive influence for the drone/UAS community. Thank you for your response Allen.

And the next question is - what would be the substance of the of comments? Most people commenting here and over on MP are simply complaining that they don't want extra regulations. That opinion will have exactly zero effect.

Reactions: BigAl07
That opinion will have exactly zero effect.
To you maybe but many here would see value in the ownership making their official position known to everybody. And if the official position is “no position“ then that is good to know as well

How many of those are are from the USA? Don’t know if foreigners can comment, but they better pay attention as this will in some shape or form probably spread everywhere.
I really can’t answer that. I only see so much.
IMHO I think 1 shouldn’t speak for all cause they going to look at the #’s and though say one of the Admin did speak
for whatever was decided they would only see it as 1 voice.
If that makes any sense.
I’m not interested in “many different opinions”, i’m just interested in the owner’s opinion
Then message him and ask him.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michello