FAA Registration Rules Announced NOW

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was hoping that if the FAA got involved it would be based on their more reasonable guidelines for general aviation where unlicensed novices are restricted from higher risk problem areas. And committed pilots could earn the right to operate to the edge of space if they choose. Such a system cuts both ways in that it restricts but also empowers (legitimizes) them with rights. What we got was more databasing for the convience of law enforcement.

I may support guidelines to improve safety and legitizimize expanded access, but not Terror Watch List type databasing of citizens. Unfortunately what they have done seems closer to the National Sex Offenders Registry, except it's about what you MIGHT do wrong and not that you actually did wrong. It may catch the occasional screw up but will do nothing to discourage committed "evil doers" (batman phraseology)

to re-phrase:
So what's next from our scared feminist thinking leaders! Should I be required to register my Man-parts so they have a database for rape investigations? Sounds reasonable to you? Well good! Please someone tell me how I attach my registration # on a condom? What! staple it inside? Seriously?!!!.

And if this all seems far-fetched to you, you sir are a beliver. "trust but verify-Ronald Reagan!"

Reactions: WingedRyno
Any regular involvement of the police while trying to concentrate on enjoying your innocent flying hobby is a hassle and a distraction, whether the complainer calls the police, or you do, defensively. This new FAA registration requirement only gives the public more teeth to harrass all drone flyers. If registered, they can expect you to prove it (even if not legally required of you, unless they are law enforcement). If you don't prove it, they'll complain that you are spying on the children nearby and call the police. Then, the police will investigate not only your registration, but also your spying on the children, and may seize your drone and camera for investigation by them, even if you are registered, and also pass the case along to the FAA, if you are not registered. Nothing good can come of this!
I guess my flying style hasn't led me to the same interactions and encounters you seem to have had.
Again, I can show any LE the route I just flew and what I just recorded, proving that the accusations were false.
I don't normally fly around children unless they are my own family. Do you find yourself often flying in such an environment? Perhaps you should be watched by LE because you fly near children so often.

Sorry your experiences have been so...interactive. Must suck to always feel you are going to be a victim.

There are three of you guys who are understandably upset, as are many of us, but your scenarios are extreme and very unlikely to happen. It could, but not likely. Why not put that effort into changing the minds of the people that matter? While people have taken the time to post just shy of 1000 arguments here in this single thread, have any of you contacted your senator, the FAA or the AMA if your a member?
The same reason 3 of you guys own 500 of those. I doubt it would have been this long without some one to debate.... .....and yes, I'm in the process of contacting them.

Do you think it's flying style or some other style that leads to you not having these interactions with LEO? I find that those who stand up for themselves and their rights often get found guilty of "contempt of cop" on the side of a road, while those who humbly placate escape intact (minus perhaps some dignity).
I've never been put in a position with any LEO where I have had to either "stand up for myself" as you put it, nor have I ever had to placate or supplicate myself. Ever.

shrugs

Welp, I think I will try to have the discipline to stop feeding the monster. I have a life to live and quads to fly. ;)

Yes. But you need to register and get a certificate of ownership through the FAA website.

UAS Registration Q&A

Only individual recreational or hobby users who meet U.S. citizenship requirements are able to register their unmanned aircraft using this new streamlined web-based process. This new, faster and easier system will be available for other UAS owners soon.

So it looks like I wont be visiting the US after all..........
What a load of [REMOVED] and look at the penalties - I thought our laws were bad!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Only individual recreational or hobby users who meet U.S. citizenship requirements are able to register their unmanned aircraft using this new streamlined web-based process. This new, faster and easier system will be available for other UAS owners soon.

So it looks like I wont be visiting the US after all..........
What a load of [REMOVED] and look at the penalties - I thought our laws were bad!!!
Read more deeply.

Q. Is there a citizenship requirement?

A. Only United States citizens can register their small UAS. The certificate serves as a certificate of ownership for non-citizens, not a registration certificate.

Wow. Just wow.
I'm planning on taking back my 3 week old P3P now. Not really because of having to register now, but where it will lead to in the future. I bought this to take video of family trips, but my thought is that within a year or two fees will ratchet up (how high, who knows) and the only place I'll be able to take video is the local AMA flying field.
I'll just be satisfied flying my fixed wings at the field. Or not. Lol
But before someone tells me how stupid I am, let me just say that this has the same feel to it that I experienced with a concealed weapons permit. I got mine as soon as they became available in my state. Problem was about the only place you could actually carry was in your own front yard. The were tons of restrictions, most places you could not carry concealed with your permit.
I see "drone" ownership in a similar light. You'll register, but there'll be very few places to legally fly. And those where you can will probably be very uninteresting to photograph or video.
If I have the urge to fly in the future it'll just be in the local private school gym that I have access to. Indoor planes and quads seem to be my model aviation future....

Reactions: WingedRyno
I guess my flying style hasn't led me to the same interactions and encounters you seem to have had.
Again, I can show any LE the route I just flew and what I just recorded, proving that the accusations were false.
I don't normally fly around children unless they are my own family. Do you find yourself often flying in such an environment? Perhaps you should be watched by LE because you fly near children so often.

Sorry your experiences have been so...interactive. Must suck to always feel you are going to be a victim.
Not at all. That was just a ridiculous claim any drone hater could make up in a public area, that would be enough to get LE to investigate. Myself, I'm usually up to 5 miles away! However, the few times I have launched openly from public places, before I even lifted off, I was confronted by unhappy people, who already wanted to lecture me about how and where I could fly. I now avoid launching anywhere near people for this very reason, and fly early and late whenever I need to, from as remote a spot as possible. However, all the VLOS advocates had better be ready for public confrontation, if they are seen launching a drone, or controlling one nearby. This registration requirement with public access to owner information and physical address will be a game changer. Wait and see. YMMV. :cool:

Boy, all those years of greasing my neighbor's palm with food is now paying dividend. Hang on guys, I will be right back. Need to take some cookies and cake over to share with my neighbors first. Be right back to continue this thread.

ps. I'll see if they want me to take a look at their roof. Winter is coming and all for leaks and other derbies there.

Last edited:
Reactions: GadgetGuy
See the link I posted earlier to the FAA website. There are published rules. They haven't been finalized or enacted, but they are published. The FAA is very clear where they want to go with this. Mandatory classes and testing at an FAA approved center are on the list. Unless the FAA is going to provide a nationwide team of instructors, i cannot see that process being inexpensive.
You need to read further and fear less.
In the document you quoted, under the section titled: Applicability ... you'll find this:
This proposed rule would allow non-recreational small UAS to operate in the NAS.
The operations enabled by this proposed rule would include business, academic, and research and development flights, which are hampered by the current regulatory framework.
It's not about recreational drone use at all.
It's not about more restrictions to come.
It's for commercial users.
It's what the FAA has been working on for 3 years to finally get a system for commercial drone use and has nothing to do with what you are fearing.

It's not about more restrictions to come.
It's for commercial users.
It's what the FAA has been working on for 3 years to finally get a system for commercial drone use and has nothing to do with what you are fearing.
Can you put that guarantee in writing? Notarized? ....and if your wrong you will cover any expenses we may incur due to these future changes?

Can you put that guarantee in writing? Notarized? ....and if your wrong you will cover any expenses we may incur due to these future changes?
It's amazing that you want a cast iron guarantee for reasonable comment but can't accept skepticism for the most unlikely crazy fear fanatasies.
No-one can convince someone that lives their life in irrational fear of what might happen.

Instead of going off with wild what-if or but-maybe scenarios, how about reading the document.
It plainly says what it is and what it's for.
Just because someone that didn't read it, used a paragraph out of context to fuel your paranoia doesn't mean he's at all correct.

Wow. Just wow.
I'm planning on taking back my 3 week old P3P now. Not really because of having to register now, but where it will lead to in the future. I bought this to take video of family trips, but my thought is that within a year or two fees will ratchet up (how high, who knows) and the only place I'll be able to take video is the local AMA flying field.
I'll just be satisfied flying my fixed wings at the field. Or not. Lol
But before someone tells me how stupid I am, let me just say that this has the same feel to it that I experienced with a concealed weapons permit. I got mine as soon as they became available in my state. Problem was about the only place you could actually carry was in your own front yard. The were tons of restrictions, most places you could not carry concealed with your permit.
I see "drone" ownership in a similar light. You'll register, but there'll be very few places to legally fly. And those where you can will probably be very uninteresting to photograph or video.
If I have the urge to fly in the future it'll just be in the local private school gym that I have access to. Indoor planes and quads seem to be my model aviation future....
I've not been on this board in sometime but figured after hearing the news about the reg requirement that I would just see what the consensus was. As a FFL and firearms collector I completely agree with you. I'm undecided what do with with my quad at this point. I've gone to may hearings to petition further attacks and regulations on second amendment rights and feels just about the same. The only thing that can come from this is further regulation and probably at some point a ban on flying anywhere but designated locations. As we say say in the industry "registration leads to ban, ban leads to confiscation.
This will be my last post here as this has made me loose interest in this as a whole now and I have no interest in any debate on my position. I'll go back to ground based RC and my dozen other hobbies. All I will say is good luck to you fellas.
ShoreBird out....

As a FFL and firearms collector I completely agree with you. I'm undecided what do with with my quad at this point. I've gone to may hearings to petition further attacks and regulations on second amendment rights and feels just about the same. The only thing that can come from this is further regulation and probably at some point a ban on flying anywhere but designated locations.
This will be my last post here as this has made me loose interest in this as a whole now and I have no interest in any debate on my position

I'm astounded. Where does this level of paranoia come from?
I've read every post in this thread and I haven't seen the lines you are reading between.
What has been announced is a $5 fee every three years with no additional restrictions.
How does that get conflated to .. the party's over and personal drone use is no more?
As we say say in the industry "registration leads to ban, ban leads to confiscation.
So how are you managing to hang on to your car, Harley, boat, dog and all those guns?
I've heard this registration leads to ban, ban leads to confiscation thing a few times but I can't think of any time such a thing has occurred in the USA.
Some one enlighten me if you are aware of this happening.

I note some advocating that only sheeple would surrender and pay a registration fee.
Who is spreading this fear and why are people so willing to accept it?
I wonder what makes otherwise intelligent humans irrationally say that their hobby is over because of the introduction of a $5 fee every 3 years.
I can't see any sense in that at all.

We should all take our UAV's down to the Police station and turn them in and be rid of them...
Hmmm, this is what I am hearing from some people here and honestly, thinking about getting rid of your UAV because of this registration is acting incredibly irrational. Why? Because Drone Ban is not the FAA's point or anyone else's. Do I see a future where you will be carrying a license? Well yes, you will be carrying your registration first as it says but it will become a license in years to come that hopefully there will be a class to possess with an age limit for an adults toy. Like it says on some of the boxes when you buy them, "For ages 14 and over"... Maybe that will become 18 and over but that's it, if it ever happens. I don't see a ban in the future but I do see training and is this a good thing? Maybe... If you look at some of the crashes, there have been some accidents that were pretty stupid and at the very least one of you UAV loving writers should write the next #1 Best seller... Drones for Dummies... Drones like computers are here to stay.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
The only thing that can come from this is further regulation and probably at some point a ban on flying anywhere but designated locations. As we say say in the industry "registration leads to ban, ban leads to confiscation.

And what industry would this be? What bans have we seen by the Unites States Government? They have tried to disarm the people but has it worked? No. Other then chemical ban's in some states, what bans are you talking about?

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Heck, your all talking about the FAA registration of our drones and I can't find the form to fill out for this. I've checked the gov. sites but can't find the form itself. Can anyone help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka