FAA Registration Rules Announced NOW

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess some people could be intimidated into giving out their number (of be like an AMA guy who wears the number on their hat!) :) The only number I would ever give out is "911"

The sequential search is very possible and I expect to see in a short time.

Also keep in mind that since it is searchable, it is "out there," That means the list should be easily obtainable with a FOIL request. Will we see newspapers publish these lists in a story "Which neighbors might be spying on you"? It's happened with other registered items.
Exactly. Opponents specifically asked that the list be excluded from the FOIA during the public comment period. That proposal was rejected by the FAA!

Agreed, but any complaining person telling the cop you were spying on him is sufficient to raise the reasonable suspicion necessary to investigate your flying credentials. That's a pretty low bar. Everyone thinks we are spying on them with our drones.
That is why I have a flight path recorded and camera evidence of each and every flight available. That evidence will trump your paranoia. :eek::rolleyes:o_O
And I don't have a problem showing the police my credentials.:D:p

Y'all seem to have convinced yourselves that come next week, everyone who ever sees you fly will be harassing you? I doubt anything is going to change, except that I have a number to prove I am legit now.

Last edited:
Agreed. All it takes is any drone flying complaint, no matter how unwarranted, to force the police to investigate the matter. How quickly they respond will depend upon how busy they already are with other more important matters. Expect to be harrassed by drone haters wherever you fly. Cops are a cell phone call away. Will we be coerced into giving our reg# to these drone haters to discourage them from calling the police, assuming that will even satisfy them? Would that even be wise, given that they will then also know your name and physical address? :eek:
I have read your post on this thread. I get the impression that you might have had a few encounter with "drone haters". How often, if ever, do you currently get harassed? If none, what gives you any indication that things might suddenly change? Or maybe there is really a different issue going on like an ongoing conflict with neighbors?

In all of my flying, I can honestly say I have not encounter any "drone haters" or anyone whom even remotely makes me feel unwelcome.

Well, except that one time I was flying above an airport runway and a Toyota guy came ad told me I cant fly there, but thats a different story. Even then, it was no big deal. I told him OK, and continue to fly. He called the police. Police came some 30 minutes later and just informed us that Toyota guys was complaining about us being on the lot. No big deal, we land, pack up, and left. No stand off with LEO. No getting detained. No stare down. And no "give me liberty or give me death" speach.

Speaking of which, I might hop down to see if the Toyota guys left. That was like a month ago.

Although I've had a couple run ins with LEO they were never rude, nor asked for my ID and I've only been asked to down my bird once. Most people are generally inquisitive and misinformed so when they're finished with their Q&A, they are fine. I've only had one drone hater approach me who said that noise was too loud over his house and called the police. He claimed I was directly over his house flying low and hovering but flight data said otherwise. Then he said I was spying that's when the cop asked but I thought it was too loud. Needless to say, funny encounter cause LEO was getting pissed.
Oh yeah my point, I don't think registering or not is going to immediately affect flying or peoples opinion one way or the other so relax with the paranoia.

Reactions: Meta4 and GoodnNuff
If you ever fly in public, prepare to be harrassed. Once the media gets a hold of this, every nightly news will feature

"How to stop unregistered drone flyers in their tracks!"

1. Ask the drone pilot if they have ever flown this drone before.
2. Ask the drone pilot if they have ever flown this drone before Dec 21, 2015.
3. Demand their FAA reg#, and if they refuse, call the the police.
4. If the drone pilot has an FAA reg#, they should comply with a voluntary request for it, and you can look it up on the FAA website to make sure it is valid.
5. If they refuse, it raises a reasonable suspicion they are unregistered, upon which the police can investigate, and demand proof of registration of the pilot.
6. All drone pilots must register with the FAA, before flying any drone over .55 pounds, not first flown before Dec 21, 2015.
7. All drone pilots flying drones over .55 pounds first flown before Dec 21, 2015 must register themselves with the FAA before February 19, 2016.

Help ground all unregistered drone flyers!
Do it for the children! :rolleyes:
I will register, but I will never show my registration # to anyone but an LE or FAA representive, AFTER they show me their ID.
I don't scare easily.
Does that make me just half a sheeple? LOL.

"Once the media gets a hold of this, every nightly news will feature!"
Good God Gadget, there isn't a single aspect of this that you haven't milked for the fear factor, is there?
Disgusting. Where is the gag and vomit emoji?

Forgive me please, but the way you are talking, "Sell my Bird", etc is exactly what an activist troll would say to stir up the wrong attitude. Trying to convince people that this is actually a way is exactly what the FAA, AMA,and so many anti-UAV people want us to do. So are you an activist troll or a person that loves this hobby? Selling your bird and giving up is the sheeples way of doing things, just follow the leader right off of a cliff.
As I stated above, I apologize to you joe21 and I mean you no wrong, but I'm trying to keep things right and what you said is Not an acceptable solution, in fact it's the cowards way out! Honestly I do believe that you are a media troll but you can easily change my way of thinking.

I have several hobbies. I only recently got into this one. Wanted to fly a copter for many years, but cost and difficulty (plus time) kept me away. I am not an activist troll at all. Nor am I advocating that anyone else drop this hobby. I didn't even state that was my final decision. Not wanting to face a $27000 fine, my personal options are register or quit. I see registration as surrender.

You are omitting another possibility. I am a person who "really likes" this hobby. I am debating whether I like it enough to put up with what I see coming down the road. Better to end the problem relationship early than to wait until you are in love. :)

You may live in an area where you can fly almost anywhere and registration is all you have to worry about. I live on Long Island. NYC has banned drones. Suffolk County has banned drones on/near county property (including parks). One township has banned drones. NY State has banned flying in state parks (some exceptions and a purchased permits allow you to fly at AMA airfields in a few parks). Nassau County is considering a ban. Not to mention all the airports and air traffic in the area. Almost as bad as owning an ATV.

If it wasn't for property I own in a remote location, I never would have purchased a P3. The countryside is the only place I get to fly for fun (without worry of being harrased), and that is not very often.

Registration alone isn't the problem. That, along with the upcoming regulations are simply the straw which may break this camel's back. I can see your point - to a degree - about getting out. I maintain a similar position to yours in another area which is heavily regulated in NY. I am active in a few areas fighting against or supporting governmental actions.

Quitting is not always a cowards way out. Frankly, compliance seems more down that road here, unless it offers you some special tool to fight the battle.

On the other hand, if market growth is impacted by these new rulings, companies will complain. That typically seems to have more impact than a few voters. Regulation is a business killer. Regardless of my decision, regulations will have a chilling affect on sales. The majority of user don't fall into the "troll" or "lover" description... the majority will be balancing fun versus hassle. When the hassle outweighs the fun, they move to something else. I am convinced that in a few years this hobby will be a shadow of what it could be, with a relatively small number of passionate users who made peace with the AMA, flying at small AMA sanctioned fields. Then, "drone" users will be part of the elite group and reminisce about the days when all of us "lesser" types were ruining things for them.

I don't mind fighting against the "man" but all the in-fighting and name-calling within the community (not just the AMA vs "drones" but the "superior" drone users vs everyone else) is a real turn off.

forgot to add... yes, you are forgiven. :)

I think that is a very good idea. Personally, I will never give the AMA a dime. Read through the FAA documents on this matter. They pushed for registration - as long as it didn't affect their own "model" flyers. They threw us under the bus and then asked the bus drive to back up to hit us again.

The flaw I see in your plan is time. If "drone" people ever become numerous enough to have a say in the AMA, it will too late. Drones will likely be banned at that point. Meanwhile, we will be funding their efforts to have them lobby against us and create the bans.

I vote with my wallet. At this point I am seriously considering my P3 and getting out while the getting is good. The media, public, AMA and FAA are all against us. It is only a matter of time before there is nowhere to fly these things. Registration is only the start... there are _rules_ (not guidelines) in the works, and I don't think I will like those. People forget there is another option to register/not register... you can choose to sell your bird and find a less regulated activity. Declining sales is a more powerful tool than the tools at the AMA. It is my bet that the negative press combined with registration and the upcoming regulation is going to kill the potential of this market.
Well said! Frankly, if this discourages new drone flyers, I am all for that result. Less rogue drones to get in my way, while enjoying my hobby.

And it seems there is a rush to fear monger when the rules haven't even been published yet.

See the link I posted earlier to the FAA website. There are published rules. They haven't been finalized or enacted, but they are published. The FAA is very clear where they want to go with this. Mandatory classes and testing at an FAA approved center are on the list. Unless the FAA is going to provide a nationwide team of instructors, i cannot see that process being inexpensive.

The FAA is very clear where they want to go with this. Mandatory classes and testing at an FAA approved center are on the list. Unless the FAA is going to provide a nationwide team of instructors, i cannot see that process being inexpensive.

Don't you worry, that will be the payoff to the AMA. The AMA will suddenly have an education wing that holds FAA approved classes, for a 'reasonable' fee of course.

I would encourage them to call the police. If I am registered and doing nothing wrong, I have nothing to fear. (I'm not being sarcastic). Inform the twit that you are registered with the FAA and if they harass you they are committing a federal crime. When he police show up, explain how the other person was harassing you and "interfering with the safety" of your flight. You would have called yourself, expect you were concentrating on safely operating your aircraft. Point out the "interfering with flight crew" rule to the police and ask them to prosecute the person who called. Yes, the "interference" thing might by stretching the issue, but it is likely to shut everyone up. The only good thing about a bad law is turning it around to your own benefit.
Any regular involvement of the police while trying to concentrate on enjoying your innocent flying hobby is a hassle and a distraction, whether the complainer calls the police, or you do, defensively. This new FAA registration requirement only gives the public more teeth to harrass all drone flyers. If registered, they can expect you to prove it (even if not legally required of you, unless they are law enforcement). If you don't prove it, they'll complain that you are spying on the children nearby and call the police. Then, the police will investigate not only your registration, but also your spying on the children, and may seize your drone and camera for investigation by them, even if you are registered, and also pass the case along to the FAA, if you are not registered. Nothing good can come of this!

Last edited:
Reactions: WingedRyno
That is why I have a flight path recorded and camera evidence of each and every flight available. That evidence will trump your paranoia. :eek::rolleyes:o_O
And I don't have a problem showing the police my credentials.:D:p

Y'all seem to have convinced yourselves that come next week, everyone who ever sees you fly will be harassing you? I doubt anything is going to change, except that I have a number to prove I am legit now.
But you won't show it to anyone until the police show up. Good luck with that. Refusing to show it to anyone else reasonably asking, will cause you more trouble than it is worth, if you truly have nothing to hide.

Well said! Frankly, if this discourages new drone flyers, I am all for that result. Less rogue drones to get in my way, while enjoying my hobby.

I admit to thinking the same but it is short sighted. The next generation is always the life blood of the future. Be it taxes, hobbies, or the military you must always welcome(tolerate) replacements for without them you are in decline! It's how you vet the bad apples out that makes the difference.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
I admit to thinking the same but it is short sighted. The next generation is always the life blood of the future. Be it taxes, hobbies, or the military you must always welcome(tolerate) replacements for without them you are in decline! It's how you vet the bad apples out that makes the difference.
My entire view of this is short term, as I see no long term future, unfortunately. If you got 'em, fly 'em now, before the AMA persuades the FAA that we all need to be forever confined to flying safely over AMA approved flying fields!

You will have to register if your fixed wing is in the weight class which requires registration.

Actually, you can thank the AMA for registration. They were the one asking the FAA for it.

To be clear, no, no they didn't. They opposed it. You guys keep pulling these "facts" from thin air.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
There are three of you guys who are understandably upset, as are many of us, but your scenarios are extreme and very unlikely to happen. It could, but not likely. Why not put that effort into changing the minds of the people that matter? While people have taken the time to post just shy of 1000 arguments here in this single thread, have any of you contacted your senator, the FAA or the AMA if you're a member?

When the hassle outweighs the fun, they move to something else. I am convinced that in a few years this hobby will be a shadow of what it could be. :)

As a miner who has been deregulated into changing the way I live, I know what you are saying, but letting them make you live Your life "Their Way", the way they feel that you should live, by not having guns or gold pans, or UAV's, is not the answer. Personally I feel that this is just another government twisting of the truth. The real answer is taking up the fight and sticking with it, plain and simple. Over the years, I have spent thousands of dollars to drive out the tyranny made by the media combined with the environmental elite against mining, gun control, and others. I go to the meetings, fight the fight and make a difference. This is what we need here. Will the AMA work with us? That to me is the question. Yes, they may have thrown us under the bus as has been said here - but that was last week. Now they are like us, fighting against the same new personal registration laws. And this is the kicker... we are registering ourselves and not our UAV's and that alone makes no sense. We might as well submit to having bar codes tattooed into our forearms like the Jews in WWII.
What we need to do is change the AMA's way of thinking and start making donations in the right places so that the right lawyers that can help us win this fight, will win in court.
If they want me to register a UAV that is one thing, but registering myself serves no purpose being that we have already been registered through our social security cards basically since birth...
Thanks for forgiving me, this just shows that 2 different types of people can easily talk with each other. Unlike you I live in deep in the woods and make my living from my mining. I create new money when I dig the gold from the earth and turn it in for deposit. I don't see many people when I am out flying my UAV because I fly away from cities. If the public actually knew the truth about UAV's, there wouldn't be any problems but once again, the media has tried to cut another group out of the herd and divide our people even more. It seems like all they want to do is keep dividing the people, just like with this registration bs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT