FAA Registration Rules Announced NOW

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is just the beginning. Just like anything you want to get rid of or control completely, baby steps -- first step is knowing exactly who owns these. Here is the natural progression:

1. Register all. First we need to know exactly who owns these. (Done)
2. Automatic and mandatory upload of flight logs. We need to know where you've been and what you've been doing.
3. Mandatory real time trackers installed on all UAS.
4. Total ban. Turns out our efforts didn't work because a whack job made one at home and blew it up over a crowd. There are too many "legal" UAS around to adequately tell friend-from-foe in real time so we need to clear the skies.

I can't argue with that at all.
As an NRA member, it was/is an ongoing challenge to keep personal protection and have a safe environment.
Although these are two separate issues, I can see the same road being traveled, and we may very well end up like Oz ... that recently saw all their registered firearms smooshed by huge mechanical gun crushers.

I do believe we have the capacity to provide the proper balance, but am very suspicious that our government can accomplish even close to any type of reasonable balance.
Hell ... I don't even think they even find their collective asses using a tracking device.

But this is a 'done deal'.
If it provides some safety and accountability then that is at least a positive thing, but all that is at the risks you point out.
On the plus side ... as we move forward with this new step, it might actually bring the same notification by a group(s) like the AMA, to alert us of pending regulations, and provide 'easy to use' links to our representatives, so we can protest it before it happens .... much like the NRA does when any new laws are proposed, or regulations introduced by the BATF, before they get it done.

As the market moves forward we will have another double sided sword to help us.
There is, and will be a growing number of industry lobbyists working to protect our abilities to enjoy the hobby.
We'll win some and we'll lose some, but the key will be participation in petitioning our local reps, facilitated by more aggressive work by the AMA and or other such organizations, to make it super easy to let our reps know our positions, similar to the way the NRA works with their members, by providing a link that has all the pertinent information to make it an easy 'click and protest' sort of thing from your PC.
Like 'em or not, agree with them or not, it is the NRA that has been the largest lobbyists and the overwhelming reason we still have the second in this country.
If not already a member ..... join the AMA!

Don't over egg it. The moderators have asked a couple of people to calm down and watch their language. That's good news for those if us who don't enjoy forum rage.
I beg to differ. I have used no profanity, haven't called anyone a name, and my last email from the "moderator" was that I was on thin ice. He also said something about babysitting. You want to be babysat?

Reactions: aka1ceman
Its not paranoia that our freedoms have been taken away without a second thought from anyone. You can say ppl are paranoid all day long but I kind of thought this was supposedly the land of the free not the land of registration (you can be here but we want to know what you have and are doing). All that applies unless you are a foreigner then you can get and do whatever you want without a second look. It's just disconcerting that we have to register a toy but millions of refugees dont. Hmm... your UAV may crash into a car so let's register them, but these foreigners may blow up a building with thousands of people inside ahh let them in and give them free stuff while your at it.
So what you are really upset over are refugees and foreigners.
Perhaps if we stayed focused on just this topic and not let our anger over other things in life influence our emotions here, this thread would be a lot calmer?

No, just pointing out how the process is meaningless because of how easy it is to bypass or copy. The same could happen if he lost the drone and someone else found it. There will probably be websites dedicated to "valid registration numbers" for money... blank cert letters for you to carry around, etc.
Like I said, if your paranoia is that crippling, put your registration number in your battery compartment and super glue a keyed lock from child's diary on it for good measure.
Or just stop flying.

So what you are really upset over are refugees and foreigners.
Perhaps if we stayed focused on just this topic and not let our anger over other things in life influence our emotions here, this thread would be a lot calmer?
You Looked past the point again. Lol I will keep it to single sentence posts for you after this.

those who study history will recall what can happen after registration. also has anyone caught that foreign nationals are treated differently in this law??? I see no benefit to this only a knee jerk response because of the actions of a few morons that made it difficult for the rest of us good guys. as one person posted earlier Maryland had a law that all handgun purchases had to register 2 shell casings with a cost the purchaser. after more than 10 years and a substantial cost to taxpayers the program was just scrapped with casings being scrapped and not a single crime solved. I see this a being a failure and a cost to the taxpayer. their system will crash from too many users...aka obama care...because it was designed in haste by the lowest bidder. the masses yet again cater to the few. I don't see the benefits to us law abiding fliers.

You Looked past the point again. Lol I will keep it to single sentence posts for you after this.
Well I was wondering myself where the reference to millions of foreigners and refugees flying unlicensed UAVs came from - speaking as a foreigner myself.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
those who study history will recall what can happen after registration. also has anyone caught that foreign nationals are treated differently in this law??? I see no benefit to this only a knee jerk response because of the actions of a few morons that made it difficult for the rest of us good guys. as one person posted earlier Maryland had a law that all handgun purchases had to register 2 shell casings with a cost the purchaser. after more than 10 years and a substantial cost to taxpayers the program was just scrapped with casings being scrapped and not a single crime solved. I see this a being a failure and a cost to the taxpayer. their system will crash from too many users...aka obama care...because it was designed in haste by the lowest bidder. the masses yet again cater to the few. I don't see the benefits to us law abiding fliers.
There are none. I think participating in and listening to others off this post today has influenced my decision to not register my drone. Come what may, I will not do one more thing to perpetuate the stupidity of our government.

It amazes me that we have known for a few months now that we were going to be required to register our drones.
This is not news.
Look at the threads here over the weeks predicting how expensive and intrusive this was going to be.
How it was just a money grab for the FAA and the Feds, etc.

And now that it is announced that it is a free process that can be done online, or $5 for 3 years if you procrastinate -
I mean this seems to be an easy and trouble free solution pretty far removed from what many of you predicted.

YET, a whole bunch of ya are acting like this is the first time you've heard that you would have to register your drones!
All this whining and complaining and shock - I just don't understand it.
SMH

So, anyone who keeps defending this going to post the real world benefits ?
There are a LOT of good, smart people at this forum and I'm really glad they're here.
People who know the value of freedom and are smart enough to see it being eroded.
I thank God for them.

Still waiting for that elusive list of benefits to this nonsense the other ones are defending
JKDS .. You need to read and understand posts more rather than just seeing them as an opportunity to push your ideology and get argumentative with anyone that disagrees with it.
Very few people here are defending the new registration. Most can see it achieves absolutely nothing.
But they can also see your ridiculous hyperbole for what it is.

Very sad day for America.
Many will flock to register.
Descendants of the same ones who hid or worse yet became spies for the King back in the 1700's...in exchange for a little safety and security of course.
Yes...ANY DAY we lose our rights and freedoms over utter nonsense IS INDEED a sad day for America. Many are ok with giving up freedom for nonsense however.
Yep...just keep going "Baaaaaaaaa" and giving up your rights one by one....let's see how that works out for ya in the long run.
The number of sheeple in this nation is out of control.
You really need to get things in perspective and ease up on the drama.

Well I was wondering myself where the reference to millions of foreigners and refugees flying unlicensed UAVs came from - speaking as a foreigner myself.
I was talking about the millions of foreign refugees coming to America right now that are just being let in this country. But being a foreigner you wouldn't understand that. And if they did have UAVs I'm sure they would get special treatment

If you took all the angry, emotional post made here in just a few hours and put that energy & fury into writing or calling your elected representatives that may make a change in the direction you want. Coming here and venting to the forum won't accomplish anything towards that goal.
Make a difference, write or call them. I know I have.

If you agree, smash that like button! :)

We are NOT being asked to register our quads..... We are being told to register ourselves. Please read the new "regulations".
He's got a point there... I don't need a license to pilot a pleasure boat but I do have to register it with the state, same with snowmobiles, etc. Why not register the drone vs. the operator?

Just more tax payer dollars up in smoke. With all the pressing issues that actually pose a real danger to people, this is what they chose to act on?
I smell something fishy. I guess if you follow the dollars and find out who put the system and network together for registering the millions of R/C fliers you will most likely find some interesting connections and insider payoffs. The end of public comments was in early November and now they already have this ready to roll out. That should tell anyone with half a brain there is a crook in the wood work. The Affordable Heath Care Website took Uncle Sam years to be put together and I am supposed to believe this was done in just a month? I was born at night, but not last night. I for one am going to contact as many media people as I can, hopefully I can find a real reporter, in an attempt to get someone to investigate and report on how this all came together and who is profiting from it. Somewhere there is a rat in the wood pile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT