FAA Registration Rules Announced NOW

Status
Not open for further replies.
The FAA first put together a task force of different stakeholders to figure out a reasonable registration solution.
Twenty-five organizations were represented, including drone manufacturers (DJI, 3D Robotics), professional organizations (Air Line Pilots Association, International Association of Chiefs of Police), and retailers (Walmart, Amazon). The only organization on the list that I recognized as a representative of modelers is the Academy of Model Aeronautics.
We quad-system flyers are just a herd of cats who can't seem to organize ourselves in a year - knowing this was coming. But we can certainly fill 30 web pages of bitching and moaning in a hurry.

The role of the task force was to (quickly) provide recommendations regarding how to shape and execute a much-needed registration policy.
I agree that rogue drone flyers are a real problem that must be addressed. Done correctly, registration could be a part of the solution. But make NO mistake .... we have morons out here flying quads into 300 year old church stained-glass windows, and crashing into stadium crowds. They are NOT good for a free society.
We are very quick to rebel when there is a need to do something to fix a problem, but look the other way as the problem becomes untenable.
I am playing, and I'm turning in anyone who I see without a registration.
Fortunately, I fly where there are no people, unless they want to be there. So a threat like yours is of no consequence to me. I remember being back in school, and we had a term for people who would rat on you for some reason, NARC's.

And those "AMA guys" have been flying before you were born so thats saying something.
That's their biggest problem. Ham Radio and nudist resorts have the same problem. Their membership is getting older. Older members resist change. Older members shun newcomers, and in the case of the AMA, new technologies.

Reactions: GregWV
AMA and the FAA Registration Process

Today the FAA announced plans for a model aircraft registration process to begin next week. AMA was a member of the task force that helped develop recommendations for this registration rule and argued throughout the process that registration makes sense at some level but only for those operating outside the guidance of a community-based organization or flying for commercial purposes.
Unfortunately, the new FAA registration rule does not include our advice. The rule is counter to Congress's intent in the Special Rule for Model Aircraft and makes the registration process an unnecessary burden for all of our members who have been operating safely for decades.
While we are disappointed with the new registration rule and still maintain that AMA members should be exempt from registration, the rule is being implemented over AMA objections. Therefore, we want to provide you with important information about the registration rule and how AMA members can comply with the new federal requirements:
  • All aircraft that are flown using a ground control system, such as a transmitter, are required to participate. This includes fixed-wing aircraft, not just multirotors or drones.
  • Any pilot flying models weighing between .55 pounds (or 250 grams) and 55 lbs is required to register.
  • You will not be required to register every aircraft individually. You only need to register yourself and can affix one registration number to all your aircraft.
  • You must mark all aircraft with your registration number. The number can be inside the aircraft, such as a battery hatch - but should not require tools to access.
  • The FAA plans to launch the online registration website on Monday, December 21.
  • There is a $5 fee to register, which is waived if you register within the first 30 days.
  • You only need to register once every 3 years.
We are still working out the logistics for this process. Some details are still being discussed, including:
  • We are seriously discussing with the FAA a system where your AMA number could be used as your federal registration number as well. At this point, this is only a proposal and details are not yet finalized.
  • At this time, AMA members will not automatically be registered when the registration website launches next week. However, we are in conversations with the FAA about the best way to streamline the registration process for AMA members going forward.
This is an ongoing process and we will continue to provide updates on the registration rule. Stay tuned to modelaircraft.org/gov, social media and your email for the latest news on the registration process.
Thank you,
AMA Government Relations and Advocacy Team

Reactions: bobomet and Flyer91
Yeah, but are you required to present it to every a-hole drone hater who interrupts you while flying, or only a law enforcement officer?

14 CFR §61.3 - Requirement for certificates, ratings, and authorizations.
(l) Inspection of certificate. Each person who holds an airman certificate, medical certificate, authorization, or license required by this part must present it and their photo identification as described in paragraph (a)(2) of this section for inspection upon a request from:
(1) The Administrator;
(2) An authorized representative of the National Transportation Safety Board;
(3) Any Federal, State, or local law enforcement officer; or
(4) An authorized representative of the Transportation Security Administration.
You are not required to show the information to any other persons. Therefore, it is appropriate to ask for identification to establish that the inspector is acting on behalf of the FAA administrator--if so, you must therefore present them.

Fortunately, I fly where there are no people, unless they want to be there. So a threat like yours is of no consequence to me. I remember being back in school, and we had a term for people who would rat on you for some reason, NARC's.
If you read what I wrote as a "threat", then you are that person I was writing about ....

The registration numbers will be publicly available to anyone that wants to search the FAA database. It is designed so anyone can match a reg # to a name. Access is not limited to law enforcement and the FAA.
Model aircraft are considered aircraft for the purpose of FAA rules. Aircraft registration data has been public information for decades. Why should you be different? What makes you special?

I guess I am, since I don't want some Barney Fife who has appointed himself as the drone police keeping tabs on when and where I fly and if I'm registered, or have you been deputized by the FAA?

Reactions: Navigator181
Be careful what you ask for, The AMA is already trying to cut their own deal, by working behind closed doors, lobbying, to still convince the FAA to let them use their AMA numbers so they don't have register! They are not your friends!:eek: Read the AMA email posted here in this thread that was sent out to their members today!
You are giving the AMA too much credit. Except for emergencies, the FAA doesn't make rules without a comment opportunity. They are extremely reluctant to reopening a closed docket. Consider the Part 107 NPRM 60-day comment period. The FAA denied three petitioners who wanted to extend the comment period: The U.S. Hang Gliding & Paragliding Association, The Helicopter Association International, The Agricultural Retailers Association. There's no way the FAA will re-open a docket for the AMA.

They will, if the pilot was trying to frame someone else for their nefarious acts!:eek:
You've made your point. The horse is dead.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Every AMA member now has to register their aircraft, too! The registration is not limited to drones only. The AMA flyers now will finally be held fully accountable, too. Their 50 year free ride is over! :p

It's that idiot drone flyers that required this registration.

Reactions: Flyer91
This is great news for grumpy people who hate drones. If they see anybody with a quad guess what. They are calling the cops on you now. So get ready to be hassled each and everytime you fly at any public areas, parks, beaches, hiking. Then expect the cops to go on fishing trips with ya asking if you are drunk or high while operating your quad. Eventually they'll be asking for insurance, flight plans along with your registration.

Like the TSA and DHS they'll be reactionary. As soon as 1 idiot does something dumb they'll clamp down with more law on the rest. Such as soon as a drone hits 1 person on a beach, its will be illegal to fly them on beaches.

I think behind the scenes Amazon, Walmart the rest helped sell us out. Within 10 years it will be illegal to fly any drone in a major city because Amazon will own all the sky from 200-400 feet and unless your part of the .000001% rich who own everything your SOL. Go drive 50 miles into the middle of now where to fly your drone and use an APP to make sure you aren't in Amazon's airspace.

Reactions: aka1ceman
About the time it was reported that Amazon was going to possibly use drones to deliver I thought here we go again. Ham radio has fought for years to keep their frequency spectrum due to companies wanting to make money with them. I fear that again things are not how they appear. Due to greed, politics again, is showing its ugly face.

I know safety is first with most of us, but if anyone thinks that this registration is about safety you're living in a world of fantasy. It's more about large companies pushing the hobby guy into his back yard so they can have free rein in the future and we will be out of their way. Again it's politics and greed my friends. There's a bigger picture if you get further back so you can see it!

I get so damned tired of these bastards selling the public some BS in the name of safety when it's really because of some hidden agenda or because of public pressure. The lying bastards. I'm 60 years old and I don't trust the damned government one bit. This is based on experience.

For one, I'm out of the game. And for the hobby and the business, I hope it last, but it won't if all just set on their hands. Look at DJI, they've been in bed with them all the time, not to mention some of the dealers!

Rant over
How about looking at the positive side? All sorts of crap happens every day and people ask, "Why didn't someone try to do something?" Here the "government" is trying to do something and people are crying. Personal responsibility people, that's what is key to registering any item that requires registration - voluntary or mandatory.

Do you honestly think the large companies are willing to risks sales based on your conspiracy theory? If so, you're living in a fantasy world. No self respecting business would choose a course of action that would disrupt their earnings.

Then expect the cops to go on fishing trips with ya asking if you are drunk or high while operating your quad. Eventually they'll be asking for insurance, flight plans along with your registration.

First of all... awesome screen name an avatar :)

Now - If you are drunk or high - you shouldn't be operating a quad. - so I see no issue with that.
If they are asking for insurance - that means insurance is available - and I'd buy insurance... that'd be a good thing.
I don't see the flight plan thing coming out of this. Not every slope is slippery.
asking for registration shouldn't be an issue - unless you can't afford 5 dollars... and then what are you doing with a 1000.00+ drone??

:)

How about looking at the positive side? All sorts of crap happens every day and people ask, "Why didn't someone try to do something?" Here the "government" is trying to do something and people are crying. Personal responsibility people, that's what is key to registering any item that requires registration - voluntary or mandatory.

Do you honestly think the large companies are willing to risks sales based on your conspiracy theory? If so, you're living in a fantasy world. No self respecting business would choose a course of action that would disrupt their earnings.
I know Wally World wouldn't. To quote a phrase being used, it would be "small minded" to think so.

They are calling the cops on you now.

You're aware FAA regulations aren't within the scope of local PD's duties, right? You're lucky to get the PD to your house for a disturbance call, a report that someone flew something in an area is of no importance to them. They know, by the time they get there, they won't find anything.

That same code does define "aircraft" as: "any contrivance invented, used, or designed to navigate, or fly in, the air."

I don't quarrel with your understanding of the U.S. Code. But that doesn't change the fact that the Tenth Amendment makes this law null and void. I know that's something many of our enlightened neighbors have no concern for anymore, that whole checks and balances and laws created by local representatives from your area who better understand your location and priorities and values and such. But despite it being ignored, that's the law in the system that has been set up, and repeated abuse of that law doesn't change the law. Nowhere in the Constitution is Congress given the power to regulate "any contrivance invented, used, or designed to navigate, or fly in, the air." Therefore, that is a State issue to be addressed and any attempt to regulate it is overreach.

The Commerce Clause makes interstate flights fair game for the feds, and for good reason, but I don't know many drone operators who are carrying passengers from DAL to LAX. Joe Schmoe in his backyard or at the local park? That is NOT something the federal government has any jurisdiction or authority over.
You need to read the tenth amendment and not rely on it being read to you.
The only question posed by the Tenth Amendment is whether a claimed federal power was actually delegated to the national government by the Constitution.

Decades ago, Congress passed 49 USC § 40103 - 'Sovereignty and use of airspace' The law states that: The United States Government has exclusive sovereignty of airspace of the United States. No state has challenged this law, so where is the tenth amendment being violated? Also decades ago, Congress passed 49 USC § 44102 which requires aircraft to be registered prior to operation. Again, no state has challenged this law.

What you are asking for is just short of anarchy. Your drone may not be able to fly across state lines, but mine could. All aviation activity must be regulated at the federal level or we would have different regulations for every state and town. Total chaos.

or two, the government is looking to a way to make some money.
If you believe this then you have no clue how the US economy works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl