FAA laws usa for overseas tourists

Reaction score
Hi all, i will be travelling thru east coast usa for 2 weeks. I know the FAA have newish laws.

So if i want to fly a phantom how do i go about getting a license?

If its not too onerous a task then i.ll do it but if its going to be huge hassle i'll have to just leave the phantom at home

i.m kind of hoping its just pay a few dollars but i.m hearing i have to do a test and it has to be at a testing center which is a bit hard if i.m in australia

Thanks

Per the FAA's FAQ:

"I'm a foreign national and want to fly my UAS in the U.S. on vacation. Do I have to register before flying?
If you are a foreign national and you are not eligible to register your sUAS in the United States there are two ways for you to operate. If you want to operate your UAS exclusively as model aircraft you must complete the steps in the web-based registration process and obtain a "recognition of ownership." This recognition of ownership is required by the Department of Transportation to operate a model aircraft in the United States. Alternatively, if you want to operate your UAS as a non-model aircraft you must register your UAS in the country in which you are eligible to register and obtain operating authority from the Department of Transportation.

NOTE: at this time, the FAA's online registration website can only be accessed from a computer located in the United States or its territories or possessions."

You can register here once you arrive in the US.

Reactions: kingkong90210
Thanks thats awesome news
As i understand it i can bring my drone thru security at the airport without a license

Then when there i can just sign up without having to do a test on the website?

Anyone know a way to sign up with the faa website from overseas? Would be good to know i.m all legal to fly rather than bring it over only to find i have a hiccup somewhere

Correct. You only need to register with the FAA before flying.

You can register with the FAA here.
Thanks

I tried the link but as u said it only works if already in usa, i.d like to get it all legal before i go so i know carrying it over there will be worth the hassle

Right. You can only register from within the US. As I noted above, you do not need to register before traveling to the US.

Thanks

I tried the link but as u said it only works if already in usa, i.d like to get it all legal before i go so i know carrying it over there will be worth the hassle
You can use a proxy server to spoof the origin/location of your browser--make any web site think you are in a specific location.

but i.m hearing i have to do a test and it has to be at a testing center

This is only if you are intending to fly for commercial reasons. For a hobbyist, stay below 400' and follow any local rules (such as not flying in Yellowstone).

SB

Reactions: Jouster

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan