FAA heliports

I just talked with the Security manager at the local hospital which is 3.5 miles away. I explained to him all about the B4UFly app and the 5 mile restriction on airports. I also noted that the heliport at the hospital was marked and that permission and notification was need. He response was to have fun and no need to call whenever I fly. In fact he actual words were: wear it out".

Reactions: Mark The Droner
Within five miles from my house, I have a country regional airport, a regional hospital helipad, and a private party airport. I visited all three. The private has seven semi-trailer trailers along the runway being used for storage for the apples they pick. The airport hasn't been used for years. it shouldn't be in the FAA Airport database. The regional airport said just call and let us know where you'll be flying and the start and stop times. The helipad said they will not allow me to fly - that their mission if saving lives and they never know when they have to fly. I recorded the conversation (he knew it) and I flew my flights. I believe many of the hospitals contract with the same company for helicopter flight services. These companies can charge upwards of $18K for every flight and this company makes a mint. But with the onslaught of drones going down the pike, it's unrealistic for these hospitals to deny drone flights. This is an upcoming industry worth several billion in the coming years, and hospitals won't be able to stop this commercial cash cow...

...The helipad said they will not allow me to fly - ...
You didn't mention what you're flying but I assume it's recreational. And since it's recreational, you don't need the helipad's permission. If you choose to fly, just be sure to get out of the way when you see/hear them coming.

For sure it pulls up the geographic information for the airport when you touch the information but there's no reason they couldn't have the airport and or tower phone numbers listed as well at the very least the hover app has some of thesephone numbers for main airport listed but not the stupid little heliports that are spread out every 5 miles when I want to fly at my house I need to advise one large airport two small airports and 4 helii pads just to take off from my house which is 4.97 miles from the main airport I have been flying phantoms out of my backyard for 3 1/2 years now I've never had an issue and never notified anybody now all of a sudden I have to call five people every time I want to fly I think not
What do you guys think I should do once I get my mavic? I live pretty close to a lake and there's several houses that have seaplanes and one has a helicopter but they rarely use them. Also some cessna's and other small planes can always be seen overhead. Do I have to notify the people that have seaplanes Everytime I fly? And is it ok if there are planes flying high above?

What do you guys think I should do once I get my mavic? I live pretty close to a lake and there's several houses that have seaplanes and one has a helicopter but they rarely use them. Also some cessna's and other small planes can always be seen overhead. Do I have to notify the people that have seaplanes Everytime I fly? And is it ok if there are planes flying high above?
Just listen. You'll typically hear any planes or helicopters in time to get out of their way. I suggest you fly under 200' in areas you know has occasional traffic.

If you are in G airspace you are simply informing the heliports/hospitals/small airstrips that you will be flying. I talk directly with the dispatcher for life flight. Perfect communication and they are incredibly appreciative of the notification. The benefits far outweigh the 1-2 min. conversation.

Reactions: BigAl07
By the way, welcome to our passionate group of pilots, Oseymour. You might try talking with this neighbor and work out some sort of arrangement. Compared to his toys I doubt you have to worry about sound complaints.

wow, i just purchased my first drone as an xmas gift to myself, and this sure seems like a hassle just to fly. FYI i found myself here in trying to determine if i wanted a mavic or spark. I probably should have looked first, as all the places i would like to operate (home, beach, boating, golf course) are in some soft of action zone.

Does anyone else fly in or around Westchester NY? I have white plains airport nearby, but outside of 5 miles. According to b4ufly i have 5 helipads to contend with. seems like alot of work to contact each one, every time. It would be a really good thing if the FAA site had the capability to notify via their website. Is there any of this in the works?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing