Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

External 12vdc power to phantom 1

Discussion in 'Phantom 1 Discussion' started by Ren, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Ren

Ren

Hi all

New to the site and new to the drone world

Quick question. I have a phantom 1 and my batteries are now drained. However I had to order a charger recently cause the existing one can't be found

I am thinking of connecting the wires from a 12vdc power supply to power the phantom for testing purposes only

Has anyone tried doing this before?

2. Memtenn60

If you batteries are drained, wait till you get your charger. You can't fly anyway so why take a chance. I have three chargers, one never used if you are interested

3. Ti22

You can operate P1 from a power supply to program NazaM or just to see things light up. Just as easily wait too.

Observe proper polarity of course. I recently made a big screw up while adding a 2nd battery and reversed XT60 on parallel harness, oops!

Smoke boiled out from the bird and things looked pretty bad for a bit. Resulting damage = 2 green ESC’s and a burned trace on the MC PCB (which saved the red ESC’s, btw). RX, NazaM, GPS all survived.

Found NOS surplus green ESCs and MC board on eBay for about $30. Back from the dead but I wouldn’t recommend doing that very often. Be careful…

4. Pilot_FML

5. Pilot_FML

Murphy is always out there waiting to bite you...;)

Play it safe and invest in a good charger. It'll pay for itself in no time.

6. Ren

Ren

Thanks being a bit anxious to fly. I would do the best thing and just wait on the charger
    I have even looked online seeing if anyone has made a home made charger for these batteries.
    But after seeing how dangerous these batteries can become. Made me think twice.

Thanks a lot guys

7. Ti22

As long as someone understands what CC/CV means, clever chimps can adapt any number of power supply sources for directly charging RC Lipo.

However, that person probably already has several options available so it’s rather moot point.

What I would suggest for any newbie is to buy a quality RC Charger such as iCharger 106B+.

There’s cheaper ones which do a pretty decent job but iCharger (Junsi) is a leader in the design of RC Chargers and it will pay for itself in the amount of genuine learning, improved pack performance and longevity you can derive by owning/using one.