Extending the wifi range of the FC40 camera

Did you connect it to Naza and looked at the compass read outs while placing the antenna? I think you should also do an advanced calibration because the quad needs to know the new compass error (every compass has an error), because it will be effected for sure. And after removing an antenna you would have to do it again. I tried a simple screw on antenna from an old wifi router and held it at various locations at the quad while in Naza assistant. Lot of different readings I got. I decided not to go forward with it at that time. And recalibrated to be sure.......

It is not the control signal that's effected I think (5.8Mhz) but the compass is. I think, but not totally sure.

So - where did you mount that antenna - and how do you control it's position after take-off? Mechanical with some kind of hinge?
The antenna Im referring to is mounted in the existing hole in the landing gear that the stock controll antenna normally comes threw on the back of the landing gear. The antenna was one of the ones with the hing built in. Sort of like the antenna on the transmitter is were you can turn it or point it how ever you need to.

Btw - after the crash I did a simple test. Placed the Phantom without props on the table, started it and pointed the antenna (with active connect to smartphone) to various places (compass, rx antenna). You can hear that the motor speed changes as soon as you get closer to compass or rx...

what antenna are you useing? Im wondering if maybe there is some iron or some thing in it that might be throwing the compass off and then making the phantom think it needs to change directions as the compass is making it think its going what ever way it thinks its facing and then changing the motors speeds to try and fly what ever direction its thinking it needs to go to stay straight.

Currently on business-trip, so photos will follow later.

That's the antenna: http://www.ebay.de/itm/231284120993

The compass theory doesn't explain the immediate lift-off after starting the engines, without pulling throttle.
In fact, control was hyper sensible - flight time was not more than 10sec until crash.

My first description wasn't precise enough... Antenna was mounted via an additional plastic hinge, allowing the antenna
to swing down after liftoff. Means, before takeoff antenna was at approx. 45°, pointing to the backside (where compas and rx antenna are). After lift-off, it swings down, pointing to the ground.
With the flexible antenna mount you can't calibrate the compass - conditions will always change.
Maybe the antenna must be fix mounted, pointing 45° to the front (looking like a gun).

J.J., you mounted a rx-antenna, meaning no additional emissions to the controls. Here, it's a tx antenna, having much more power.
I'll try an aluminium shield around the compass cable, maybe this will help...

SusisStrolch said:
Currently on business-trip, so photos will follow later.

The compass theory doesn't explain the immediate lift-off after starting the engines, without pulling throttle.
In fact, control was hyper sensible

In fact, hooking up to the assistant software is not about calibrating the compass but calibrating the NAZA control firmware in the Phantom TO the current compass error and local declination. The compass calibration (dance) is just to make Naza adapt to possible small deviations at a given (new) location. When the compass is seriously off (after making contact with water or a strong magnetic field or a crash e.g.) a compass dance is not enough and the Phantom can do crazy things. Like taking off as soon as you start because it thinks it is outside of the control limits and wants to fly home wherever that might be (because of odd readings it might be totally somewhere else). My GPS in the car once started up on a different continent until I switched off the car and did a full reset. Same thing happens when Naza is not getting the right readings.

The antenna might have thrown off the compass, anything is possible, it is just a magnet that is effected very quickly by metal, moist, magnetic radiation. It is THE most unstable thing in the whole setup and needs to be checked regularly with the software. I do it whenever I changed something on the Phantom in terms of add ons or after I opened it up or after any harsh landing. It is not a big deal to hook it up and check things. 5min and good to go. Better safe then sorry.

J.J., you mounted a re-antenna, meaning no additional emissions to the controls. Here, it's a tx antenna, having much more power.
Yes indeed but I had mentioned the mounting of the antenna on mine do to me not thinking it had any thing to do with weight or balance causing the craft to fly weird at all.

I'll try an aluminum shield around the compass cable, maybe this will help

the way you described it lifting off on its own I'm now thinking its cant be the compass. and you might have to shield the receiver and or the wires going to the two receiver antennas on the legs. or even the naza maybe. Even tho the cameras transmitting in 2.4ghz (acully I thin its 2.4 to 2.5 and the flight controls are 5.8ghz to 5.9 GHz depending on Chanel who really knows what other noise the camera might also be transmitting and being intensified threw the new antenna. I've heard of shehans wifi amplifiers in 2.4 GHz being mounted phantom side causing interference with peoples 5.8ghz also I'm wondering if maybe you need to use an Attenuator on the added antenna. or maybe even a lower gain antenna.

btw that 9dbi antenna you used seems to be the same duel band antenna I used on the flight control receiver and also its the kind I normally use on my tx

Re: How about attaching an extender to the Phantom?

vonsworld said:
Much of this discussion is about having a WiFi extender on the ground near the pilot, which I'm sure works well, but has anyone tried attaching an extender to the Phantom?

I understand that the FC40 camera isn't as powerful as a regular WiFi router/transmitter and that also the output power is reduced when the camera is recording to the memory card. By fitting an extender on the aircraft you could be sure the camera is outputting the maximum WiFi signal at all times.

This also might be helpful for GoPro owners, since I believe those cameras have low Wifi output power, and might mean they can be used for FPV.

Take a look at this Vonets Mini 300 extender, it's supposed to be the smallest in the world and gives the full 100 metre range. It's half the size of a credit card and weighs 23 grams:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400728174760?

This would easily fit on the phantom and could be powered from the onboard supply. The extender needs 5v power through it's micro usb socket, but using a tiny regulator like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181445956761?

the power could be directly taken from the Phantom.

I've ordered the mini extender and will let you know how it performs in a later post :)

Hey how did this perform?

BTW, this should be a stickied thread IMO

vonsworld said:
I recently bought a TP-Link TL-WA830RE 300Mbps Wireless N Range Extender from Amazon UK for £19 with free delivery.

This is a lightweight extender with some good antenna's already fitted. Take a look at the Amazon reviews.

Setup with the FC40 was easy, you don't even have to plug in a cable and pc, you can configure it directly over wifi using your phone. You can also rename the extender to FC40_<anything> and the DJI App will pick it up.

I don't have any reception/distance figures yet, but it does give a significant improvement in signal strength compared to the FC40's inbuilt wifi.

The extender needs an external 9v power supply but they are easy to setup.

:)
hi there

I have a hitlight 12v 3800mah portable battery pack will it work on the tp link wifi extender?

keiji11 said:
vonsworld said:
I recently bought a TP-Link TL-WA830RE 300Mbps Wireless N Range Extender from Amazon UK for £19 with free delivery.

This is a lightweight extender with some good antenna's already fitted. Take a look at the Amazon reviews.

Setup with the FC40 was easy, you don't even have to plug in a cable and pc, you can configure it directly over wifi using your phone. You can also rename the extender to FC40_<anything> and the DJI App will pick it up.

I don't have any reception/distance figures yet, but it does give a significant improvement in signal strength compared to the FC40's inbuilt wifi.

The extender needs an external 9v power supply but they are easy to setup

Hi!

Can you give some more information on hooking up the 9volt battery. I ordered one and don't want to fry it.
Thanks!!

I am using the tp link wr703n with an external antenna mod done to it and flashed with ddwrt. I put a sunhans 2.5w amplifier on it as well. I am also using an AR drone main board and navigation board with the cameras plugged into it for fpv with osd. I nodded the drone main board with an external antenna as well. I am getting around 1800 to 2000 METERS distance with my setup and the ar drone board puts out a lot weaker wifi signal than the fc40 camera so I would imagine a definite 2000 meters with the fc40 camera.
Mod the phantom controller antenna also with a cheap cable-mini ipx to rpsma and any directional antenna for 5.8ghz with a 7dbi or higher rating.
you won't be disappointed....trust me, it seems like unlimited distance cause you really can't go much further on a single battery charge

Hey Everyone. My name is Terry and I am newcomer to the world of quadcopters. I recently received FC40 and installed a 2 axis gimbal. Got that dialed in and the got the voltages adjusted. I read this thread twice ( all 20 pages). I recently bought a TL-MR3040 V2.4 wireless router to help extend some of FPV range. For the life of me can't get my iphone to connect to the router which I renamed FC40_C69XXXR. I followed the the points outlined back on page 14 of this thread. The setup works like a charm (thanks Wattage and dragonash) but it never loads up. I have an iphone6, Windows 7 64bit. I have the router in AP mode and using the Bridge/AP setting during the easy setup. I am not the most computer savy person but I can find my way around. Any guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks

DoubleDoor said:
Does the TL-MR3040 V2.4 wireless router help with lag?
I am not reallt sure if it will eliminate the lag or latency. I sure hope so but I have to try to figure how to get the router to working. I think I am close.

Hello, I'm having some issues getting an Edimax BR-6428nS router setup as a wifi extender for the FC40 camera. I've tried setting the wireless up in repeater mode - searched for the FC40 wifi and set the router SSID as FC40_1234-ext, set channel to 9 and restarted. I can find it on the FC40 app, but it won't connect.
Set the IP as 192.168.1.2 and the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0, set the static IP as 192.168.1.1, restarted router and found on Fc40 app but again no connection.
Can someone who obviously understands the FC40 and standard wifi settings better than I help me try to resolve my lack of connectivity to the camera?
I've read this thread through and there seems to be some discussion regarding using the AP bridging mode, could that be the way forward for the Edimax router? I double checked and there isn't currently any DD-WRT support for this router, hopefully this will come soon. Thanks,

Hi i have just got the new phanton 1 and bought the fc40 cam. tried today fpv and lost signal quite quick. I have read thread but i am unsure what i need to buy ie ariel dish etc.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a easy to fit and use wifi extender of ebay or the likes.

One last question how high is it that the naked eye can see the phantom to? just roughly so i know how high i am.

Thanks

If you're Phantom 1 uses 2.4GHz control signal (which is does normally although a number of FC40's are sold without camera as P1's with 5.8GHz), DON'T use the FC40 camera!!!!
ITS WIFI SIGNAL WILL INTERFERE WITH THE CONTROL SIGNAL AND YOU WILL LOSE YOUR P1.
Caps off.

With the naked eye I have tracked my FC40 up to 400m high and 200 out in sunset but lost it immediately after blinking and never found it back. Had to use RTH to bring it back.

Hi thanks for the info, i have the 5.8ghz phantom but i bought the phantom for £350 and got the camera off ebay for £60 so just saved some cash.

Is there any simple 2.4ghz wifi extenders that are ok and cheapish. What do i actually need?

Any info on full kits would be much appreciated.

Thanks

So in fact you have a FC40 :), you're good.

I must admit, I tried several Wifi extenders, including one from TP-Link, but I never got the App to see the camera with the extender, no matter what I tried. I'm going for a 900MHz FPV setup (edit: which, excl. screen, costs about the same as a good wifi extender), i just hope the Tx antenna isn't too bulky, it's still on the very very slow boat from Hobbyking. And I might switch to 2,4GHz as well for more control range.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl