ESC problems

Reaction score
Hi to all!
After the winterbreak my Vision2 plus had a problem with one motor. After starting it tried to accelerate the prop from zero but failed, tried again, failed etc. Without prop it seemed to run as normal. I looked around and saw many phantoms doing similar things , only some whilst on the ground....
As my dealer did not have any replacement ESC in stock and wanted me to wait 4-8 weeks for the spare part, I checked it myself. The ESC is like many electronic boards today nearly fully smd. And what SMD really does not like is heat in combination with mechanical force like torsion or vibration. On the Phantoms we have a lot of it all. Looking at the symtoms and knowing some Electronic and SMD stuff I gave it a shot and "reflowed" the ESC board with a hotgun for SMD. That solved my problem, the motor is firing up again like all the others and accelerates properly. I will now take all four ESCs to a friend who has a proper reflow oven to redo them. I can imagine that a lot of problems concerned with ESCs out there can be solved like this. Just remove the protective clear coating of the board with cleaning spirit, keep heat away from the capacitor and reflow it like you would do it with a dead laptop mainboard...

Good info but the new ESC's are cheap enough and I would not trust all my $$$ of the quad on that re flowed board.

Good info but the new ESC's are cheap enough and I would not trust all my $$$ of the quad on that re flowed board.
Well, I trust handmade quality over Industry quality, I trust my own soldering points more than a board soldered by a soldering wave machine...
But in the end you are right, only if it is done the right way its better than the manufactured part. If not its a risk.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl