Editing with Premiere

Reaction score
After having my P3 for a bit I've now amounted enough footage to put together a short video. I have Adobe Premiere 2014 and am learning how to use it from scratch.

My very first issue is that when I upload the videos into premiere, it takes a dump on the quality. Whether it's 1080 or 4k, shots that include water or high density foliage seem "pixliated." I put that in quotes because it's the best way I can describe it: fuzzy or grainy.

I've done a bit of research and most of the info I've found sounds like another language to me. Does anyone have any experience editing with Premiere that can give the ABC's of uploading a video to Premiere? The playback in windows media player looks pristine, but Premiere seems to gobble it up.

Yep.. I use Adobe Premiere Pro CC... but it's going to be the same regarding your preview/editing display.. that display is NOT what your exported media will look like.. you can select (after editing) when exporting, to preserve as shot or anything lower... you can even select a lower frame rate. The reason your in process display is degraded, is so you can have a speedy workflow. A fast graphics card would allow you to edit in higher resolutions. You can also set the project parameters for what you normally do and then those settings will come up every time you've finished your edit and are ready to export. I hope that helps? You can also go into settings and upgrade the working display resolution... I can say that you wouldn't want your workspace/display to be in 4k, just the output, any sizable project is going to tax your RAM and Graphics Card... nothing is lost quality wise.. it's non-destructive to the original video and the output (export media) creates an entirely new file.. so, edit with confidence :) :) :)

Reactions: Grant0605
Very comforting to hear!
I'm aware of the playback quality as I have enough memory to edit in full resolution without it being choppy, but if I am understanding correctly what you are saying, when I export, the grainy-ness will disappear(?). Also, does sizing down 4k to full 1080 mess with anything?

I should be done with this video either today or tomorrow, so hopefully I can show the product

Very comforting to hear!
I'm aware of the playback quality as I have enough memory to edit in full resolution without it being choppy, but if I am understanding correctly what you are saying, when I export, the grainy-ness will disappear(?). Also, does sizing down 4k to full 1080 mess with anything?

I should be done with this video either today or tomorrow, so hopefully I can show the product
Nope.. when you reduce quality from 4k to 1080p... it will be just fine... If in doubt.. edit a small chunk/sequence.. export it and preview the results.. you'll see what I'm talking about...

Reactions: Grant0605
Nope.. when you reduce quality from 4k to 1080p... it will be just fine... If in doubt.. edit a small chunk/sequence.. export it and preview the results.. you'll see what I'm talking about...
I exported a sample to see if the default export settings would work and it's definitely not correct. Are there any basic settings I should change around?

I exported a sample to see if the default export settings would work and it's definitely not correct. Are there any basic settings I should change around?
I don't even know what the "default" settings are with your version.. I never use that.. always set up your custom export settings to suit your final project requirements... While editing you must alter the Project preferences... before saving and then export.. Sound like you may need a complete tutorial... try to look it up on YouTube, there are lots of great experts out there... I use Lynda.com for specific software tutorials if I need them.

It could be one of several issues...

- If you have a 720p project and put 4K video in it, you're going to be outputting 720p video. Or worse yet, if you try to output a 1080p video from a 720p project, it will probably be upscaled somehow and look terrible.

- Right below video previews, there is a "playback resolution" dropbox. The original material is always the same. But to speed up editing, you can look at crappier 1/4 or less quality to keep the program running faster.

First thing I would recommend:

1. Create a new project.
2. import/open one phantom clip into the project
3. Right click on the clip, and select "Create New Sequence from clip". This means your sequence will have the same video settings as your Phantom clip. (4K, 24fps, etc.)
4. Export using 4K youtube settings and upload to youtube.

The result should look excellent.

I don't even know what the "default" settings are with your version.. I never use that.. always set up your custom export settings to suit your final project requirements... While editing you must alter the Project preferences... before saving and then export.. Sound like you may need a complete tutorial... try to look it up on YouTube, there are lots of great experts out there... I use Lynda.com for specific software tutorials if I need them.

It could be one of several issues...

- If you have a 720p project and put 4K video in it, you're going to be outputting 720p video. Or worse yet, if you try to output a 1080p video from a 720p project, it will probably be upscaled somehow and look terrible.

- Right below video previews, there is a "playback resolution" dropbox. The original material is always the same. But to speed up editing, you can look at crappier 1/4 or less quality to keep the program running faster.

First thing I would recommend:

1. Create a new project.
2. import/open one phantom clip into the project
3. Right click on the clip, and select "Create New Sequence from clip". This means your sequence will have the same video settings as your Phantom clip. (4K, 24fps, etc.)
4. Export using 4K youtube settings and upload to youtube.

The result should look excellent.

This clips look absolutely perfect on my desktop in windows media player, but this is exactly what they look like in premiere, has nothing to do with export settings.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl