Easy/cheap sun shades for any phone/tablet/device

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have been putting off posting this I didn't have a photo.. but here goes - will try and explain without one.

http://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/offi ... -qu97800bk

This is the board that real estate and outdoor signs are made of. It has a very smooth finish, can easily be cut to size and can even be 'indented' by collapsing the little ridges inside to make perfectly smooth edges.

1) Get your phone/tablet/device
2) Measure the circumference of the entire thing (i.e. length of top + bottom + sides added together)
3) Cut against the ridges in the board to this size and then however deep you want the shade
4) Using your fingernail to indent the inside track of the ridges and bend the board around the device
5) Use black cloth tape to join the shade once you make it back to the start

If you 'indent' or 'score' 3/4 ridges (as long as you originally cut against the ridges) then they will make a nice curve for the corners.

If you make the size precise, this stuff is light enough to just push your device into and then mount the device to your controller.

Do this correctly and people won't be able to see the difference from an expensive eBay shade unless they look at it in detail.

I use two things for a phone sun shade. See pix: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/h4l7pgsu8dnp ... QduFnlzUTa

One is the black cardboard box the Zenmuse Gimbal came in, cut and slotted as shown and held to the back of the phone with Velcro which also allows it to easily flip/hinge out of the way.

The other is my Hoodman 3.2" Optical loop that is normally used for LCD camera viewfinders. It blocks out the light and magnifies the image. It allows a full view and is even held on by the phone clamp. When I need to use the touch screen it quickly lifts off. I use the neck strap when it's not on the phone.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl