Dynamic home point

Reaction score
hi guys , fairly new phantom owner . i have about 20 successful flights under my belt. Just have a question regarding the dynamic home point feature. Today i was flying and filming the dogs at an old golf course. I was about 400 meters from launch point(me and the phantom) , the low level battery alarm sounded the same time my phantom turned and sped off . At first I thought it was a fly away , after a few tense moments and some chasing I realized my phantom was on the descent to the original take off point. After i composed myself i checked my phone. Returning home was on the screen . i then checked my settings in the vision app which did have the dynamic home point enabled.Very glad the return home feature worked but a little concerned the home point was not reset to my new location. I am using an Iphone 5 and all updates and settings are current. Any ideas or thoughts......thanks....other than that absolutely love my phantom

vision plus 2 v2

if using the dynamic home. Option you really should check the box for use cell phone for GPS location. It's in the app and that way it updates your home. Every 2 seconds based upon where your cell phone is or tablet that is GPS enabled. Otherwise you will always return to be home. You established at takeoff. another thing you can do is be sure to disable the return home at low battery. This scared me the first time too because it seem like it was flying away then I realized what was going on.

I dont trust DHP, it relies on your service provider actually having a good fix on your location using 3 cell tower triangulation, this is by far from accurate and can be out by 20-30 feet or more dependant on how good your GPS fix is.

Best bet is to manually update your home point on your phantom if you move any distance from your original take off point.

Also turn off return to home on low battery in the DJI app.

Dynamic Home point enabled doesn't mean it's working.
Yellow ring around radar = enabled but no gps lock. Green ring on radar = locked on your device. Make sure your gps is on and to validate the lock, swipe to ground station and watch it update your movement.

crash1sttime said:
I dont trust DHP, it relies on your service provider actually having a good fix on your location using 3 cell tower triangulation, this is by far from accurate and can be out by 20-30 feet or more dependant on how good your GPS fix is.

Best bet is to manually update your home point on your phantom if you move any distance from your original take off point.

It uses the actual gps position of the fpv device. It cannot use cell towers as the phantoms wifi blocks data from these cell towers.
You can still recieve calls but you cannot recieve data.

Mako79 said:
crash1sttime said:

It uses the actual gps position of the fpv device. It cannot use cell towers as the phantoms wifi blocks data from these cell towers.

Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure most Androids and all iPhones use Assisted GPS, regardless of what wifi network you may or may not be connected to (including a Phantom wifi network). Sure, they can't always download map tiles, but they can get location from a combination of GPS and Cell Tower pings.

my android tablet is not cell phone enabled so I'm pretty sure its not using any cell towers it's simply relying on the GPS chip installed in the tablet

catchingchrome said:
my android tablet is not cell phone enabled so I'm pretty sure its not using any cell towers it's simply relying on the GPS chip installed in the tablet

Indeed. You gotta have cell service for AGPS. But I thought the other posters were talking about smart phones.

erikgraham said:
Mako79 said:
crash1sttime said:

Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure most Androids and all iPhones use Assisted GPS, regardless of what wifi network you may or may not be connected to (including a Phantom wifi network). Sure, they can't always download map tiles, but they can get location from a combination of GPS and Cell Tower pings.

It needs data.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GPS

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl