Duel battery hover issue

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just installed a duel battery set up on my phantom v1.1.1. I took it out for a test flight and it won't hover. Do I have to adjust anything in the software?

My total set up:
Dji phantom v1.1.1
Tarot T-2D gimbal with GoPro hero3
(2) 3s 2700mah batteries
Dji prop guards stock self tightening props
Hobby king fpv

Thanks for the help!!

When you say "won't hover" what do you mean exactly?

With that list of attachments, it sounds like you're probably at the upper ranges of what your Phantom will fly stably with (and with decent flight time expectations)...have you weighed it with everything attached (batts included)?

The prop guards also don't exactly help with flight stability, but they also won't mess it up much in normal use just by themselves, so the effects you're seeing may be a combination of those factors.

You may want to also consider moving to the P2 stock props (the 9443's), they seem to be better when trying to lift a lot of weight.

OI Photography said:
When you say "won't hover" what do you mean exactly?

With that list of attachments, it sounds like you're probably at the upper ranges of what your Phantom will fly stably with (and with decent flight time expectations)...have you weighed it with everything attached (batts included)?

The prop guards also don't exactly help with flight stability, but they also won't mess it up much in normal use just by themselves, so the effects you're seeing may be a combination of those factors.

You may want to also consider moving to the P2 stock props (the 9443's), they seem to be better when trying to lift a lot of weight.

I take off to about 8 ft in GPS mode, let off the elevator and it starts to drop. I just weighed it, 1,458g total. Would you recommend carbon fiber or plastic props? I'm new to the hobby and any advice is greatly appreciated.

Diverjesse said:
OI Photography said:
I take off to about 8 ft in GPS mode, let off the elevator and it starts to drop. I just weighed it, 1,458g total. Would you recommend carbon fiber or plastic props? I'm new to the hobby and any advice is greatly appreciated.

I cringe every time I see someone post an image of a dual-battery Phantom with CF props.

My advice to all is to just stick with a single battery and try the Vision style props or 2800mah battery to squeak a bit more flight time and be happy with it.

You'll have more total flight time with single batteries when you add up all the flights.

I'm guessing you meant the throttle (left stick on the Phantom by default) rather than the elevator...which is the traditional aircraft term for the function, rather than the logical term for what it does on the Phantom lol. Either way though, that 1450g All-Up Weight (AUW) is what's hurting you the most. The prop guards probably contribute a little as they rob you of a bit of the lift you desperately need every bit of to fly that load, but even without them you're pushing it a bit.

I would suggest first starting with the stock DJI 9443 props for the P2...they'll screw right on with no modifications, and should help with both your flight time and lifting capacity. Loading dual 2700's on there is also part of what's keeping you at the edge of your lift threshold, you might try just one, or perhaps a pair of the stock DJI 2200mAh batts instead.

Note: Once you're above 1200g or so, the negative effects of additional weight are magnified, more so the higher your total AUW is.

OI Photography said:
I'm guessing you meant the throttle (left stick on the Phantom by default) rather than the elevator...which is the traditional aircraft term for the function, rather than the logical term for what it does on the Phantom lol. Either way though, that 1450g All-Up Weight (AUW) is what's hurting you the most. The prop guards probably contribute a little as they rob you of a bit of the lift you desperately need every bit of to fly that load, but even without them you're pushing it a bit.

I would suggest first starting with the stock DJI 9443 props for the P2...they'll screw right on with no modifications, and should help with both your flight time and lifting capacity. Loading dual 2700's on there is also part of what's keeping you at the edge of your lift threshold, you might try just one, or perhaps a pair of the stock DJI 2200mAh batts instead.

Note: Once you're above 1200g or so, the negative effects of additional weight are magnified, more so the higher your total AUW is.

Understood! I'm ordering a set of dji P2 props now. I have two stock DJI 2200mah batteries, so I'll give that a shot also. Thank you for the info ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl