Dronexpert gimbal for Phantom Vision

LMC said:
FPV col said:
Those 2.4ghz antenna's you are using, are they a stock item or did you salvage these from a patch antenna ?

DIY
12354202383_4f937e77b3_c.jpg

Nice setup. Have you range tested yet to see how that new antenna arangement works? And how did you gain access to the antennas? did you bend those two plastic posts on top to do it or take the whole camera apart? I bend the two posts to the side for my own install. Those still experimenting with optimal antenna setup and placement. Though I think whatever setup is done at least one antenna should be a Skew Planer or similar style antenna as one of the antenna options.

BenDronePilot said:
LMC said:
FPV col said:
Those 2.4ghz antenna's you are using, are they a stock item or did you salvage these from a patch antenna ?

DIY
12354202383_4f937e77b3_c.jpg

Nice setup. Have you range tested yet to see how that new antenna arangement works? And how did you gain access to the antennas? did you bend those two plastic posts on top to do it or take the whole camera apart? I bend the two posts to the side for my own install. Those still experimenting with optimal antenna setup and placement. Though I think whatever setup is done at least one antenna should be a Skew Planer or similar style antenna as one of the antenna options.

NO good :(

I change one to 5db antenna. One return to stock antenna.
Use Argtek AP repeater fly out over 1000M .
Now I change 5db antenna to wheel antenna, but weather is bad can't test.

Use Argtek AP is my invention. :twisted:
I am Jason Lee from Taipei,Taiwan.

Got an email fron Drone today (well I emailed them ) .They are still struggling a bit .. mine scheduled to go out this week ..but they anticipate next week ..I am ok with that .. I ordered Jan 16 for reference so you can judge where you are .. looks like a few days behind ..

My Dronexpert gimbal will be here Wed. 19th. Had to fill out a FCC form for customs today thru Fedex...?? They emailed back and Fedex thought it was a camera. I explained that it was a gimbal...he had no clue...just told him that it was used to mount a camera for more stable photos....he said that he would convey this to customs and I should not have any problems....did anyone else have to fill out the FCC form?

^^^^^^^^^^ Mine is likely sitting right next to yours.... Haha. No, no form or anything for me, but mine is showing to be Wednesday also, I believe. Haven't heard anything but tracking info fron FedEx. Maybe your explanation took care of mine also.

Yes, guess I got singled out again with the FCC form....I must be on some type of security list...every time I leave the country...they always go thru my checked baggage with that little form in it saying they have inspected...anyway my gimbal seems to be traveling around the airport at Charles De Gaulle. Must be going from one end to the other...guess the overseas flight will take place today..I have Fedex sending me updates via email. Also about ready to make the plunge on the Turbo Ace Cinewing 6HL ....calling them when they open in CA. to get many questions answered. We should be in the air about the same time with our new gimbals....Post your video, I would love to see it. Good luck.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-02-15 at 9.19.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-02-15 at 9.19.51 AM.png
    83.5 KB · Views: 463
My tracking updates show to be at the same place for a couple of days now. Mine must be waiting on yours to clear since same company of shipping. :)

I ordered mine Jan16th also. I didn't get emailed a form but got a call from fedex asking same questions. They said be here Feb.19th. Looking forward to get the gimbal on and bird in air and posting some videos to share. Doesn't seem to be many videos showing gimbal in action yet.

I ordered mine on Jan. 14th....so guess it will be almost 5 weeks come the 19th Feb. for scheduled delivery. It is flying across the big pond as we speak..too bad no camera is attached..that would take some serious battery.....like a 999,000 mah?....Weather permitting...I will post some video by the end of next week. Happy flying to all and especially to everyone expecting their Dronexpert gimbal next week. Can't wait!

LMC said:
jengo said:
I finally got out to fly mine yesterday. Overall, I am impressed with the stabilization. However, there is a vibration issue I need to solve. Looking at the video you can see a shimmering effect. Much more subtle then a full on jello effect.

The dampers need to be changed out I am assuming. I won't be able to try again until the weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB-PbMYb9BE&hd=1

Maybe your propeller no balance. Change a new set of propellers to try .

I tried swapping them out and it had no effect.

FedEx showed mine scheduled to arrive Wednesday 2/19/14.....however, I got an FedEx email update and it was delivered today to my door. I am at work now, but it is in the house ready for install. Yippee........

dastagg said:
FedEx showed mine scheduled to arrive Wednesday 2/19/14.....however, I got an FedEx email update and it was delivered today to my door. I am at work now, but it is in the house ready for install. Yippee........

Mine has arrived as well and at the moment my head is done in with this 7th channel, just cannot seem to get it to recognize the pot :?

Yea, got mine as well today....Hard to believe Fedex shipping and efficiency....just two nights ago my drone gimbal was flying across the big pond...and today at 11am it arrives! Got right into it...set my laptop with how to video on my work bench and went thru the whole installation...all went well...darn there is a lot of screws in that Phantom....putting the TX back together and had a tough battle with the antenna going in right. A few bugs..probably only adjustments... I have no roll setting on my installer software..set the pitch to 0 as they said....when powered up the camera does not center level...tilts a bit to one side...also the 7th channel needs some more calibration..goes up and down real fast...and hangs in up position..have to reset on iPhone app. Took my fumble fingers about 2 hours to complete the job and went out to fly.....Totally different animal...flew fine a first then started doing some crazy stuff like drifting to the left and rotating. I was a little two far away and almost lost it....power warning went off...and was giving it full up to get it home after going sideways a few times....Probably should have cut off the TX and let it come home...Knees knocking...after landing had to go sit down and calm down...I had to fight hard to get it home. Video is very stable and smooth...Maybe by moving up the compass about an inch made a difference???? Also will calibrate sticks and do a compass calibration before I take it up again..for sure. Not a fun flying day...more like work to gain control...Will post video later. Hope everyone else had a better experience than I with their first drone gimbal flight than me.

Attachments

• drone gimbal 1.JPG
    drone gimbal 1.JPG
    217.3 KB · Views: 546
  • drone gimbal 2.JPG
    drone gimbal 2.JPG
    199.9 KB · Views: 521
Well i've just sussed the 7th channel lol, when you have the p2v sitting on a bench facing you with the gimbal on, does the camera look as if its on an angle?, mine dips down at the motor side

Yes, same here....I just put some sticky foam under the mount between the landing tubes. Straightened it right up. Will be emailing Dronexperts tomorrow about this and the roll in the DJI assistant not showing up. When I move the Phantom from left to right real fast with a tilt....the gimbal goes nuts...shaking etc. Expected a few problems...complicated stuff...for me anyway!

Mine tilted very badly and after playing with it, found the plate with the plug that goes into the camera tilted at an angle instead of horizontal which instructions say keep horizontal. Needs to have a tape to hold as it can tilt with just a bump. Will work on that, but it straightened up the tilting camera as I straighten the plate to horizontal as instructions require. Got too dark to do much testing but flew a bit anyway and seems to be doing just fine. Them body screws at landing gear are a bugger to get to without removing landing gear, which I ended up doing. Otherwise, went pretty good. Found out, night flying isn't easy for me as the lights became a big bright star shaped light and couldn't see difference between the red and green. Had no problem as it gets dark, but in twighlight, it was a bugger to see direction using lights, but indicator worked well still. Gotta get used to using it as my old Phantom doesn't have that feature. Think I'm gonna like this gimbal as I use it. Hope to get to use it tomorrow. Started making a tutorial video of entire install, but had too many goof ups to make it worthwhile and didn't want to take apart to do again. Could use one extra screw now also on the hex screws nexr to the motors. Lost one! Errr.

Sounds right, will go an check on plug in.....Hopefully we will get some good weather tomorrow to get some descent aerial images to post....few other bugs to work out...but we will get there..Thanks for the tip.

Congrats to everyone who received gimbals today after a couple of hours got everything setup and flying. Already dark but seems as if everything is working well.

Just a drone expert setup suggestion:

Not sure if anyone ran into this but when installing 7th channel option had to take camera and gimbal off to run wires.

Suggestion for anyone setting up gimbal and 7th channel option, if you are following gimbal setup PDF after step 18 watch the 7th channel setup video once you have 7th channel setup, resume reading gimbal setup PDF from step19.

This will allow you to set up everything at once and not have to remove the gimbal and camera once it is set up.

Just wanted to take this opportunity to thank everyone for their comments and suggestions they have been very helpful.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164