Drones on aircraft

Reaction score
I'm going from Perth to Hong Kong on Airasia and would love to take my P4 with me. Has anyone done this?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

All the time. Not from Perth, but on other Air Asia flights.
Your batteries have to be in your carry on bag. But your copter can go as checked if you're brave.
I take mine as carry on always in a backpack I know will fit under the seat in front if I'm left with no options overhead.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
Yes, like WRX, I take mine everywhere, however I've never been international. There are some countries that charge a tax for bringing drones in, but I think you'll be OK with Hong Kong. Like WRX, I keep my drone with me all the time, I never check it. I recommend a backpack for easy carrying when you arrive. Batteries MUST be carried on, you cannot check them, hence I always keep everything together in a backpack that give no clue what's inside. Don't buy one with a drone logo on it. As you get on the plane, if the overheads look like they're getting full, grab the first space you see open, because you MUST find an overhead. Even if you get a backpack that's 20X14X9", that won't fit under a seat many times, but it's a good idea to get the smallest backpack possible for flexibility of storage in overhead. Make sure you know the regulations for your airline because may employee's "Think" they know the rules, but don't. Be prepared because there is a lot of uninformed airline workers that aren't.

Check the bottom of this page for airlines size limits for carry-ons.

I have several backpack of various qualities. The Chinese Cheapy (as I call it) is the smallest and lightest of all the ones I have. It actually has more room than the DJI hard backpack, and it's less than $50. I've had one of these for about a year. The fabric isn't the best, but it works, especially if you don't plan to travel much. I just took my CC backpack across the country, it continues to hold up and have plenty of room. It provide pretty good value at a minimum cost. My Think Tank backpack is what I use the most around home, it's more durable with even more room.

Last edited:
Yes, All the time. I am on a fly trip out to San Francisco to attend Maker Faire now. The only thing you might want to have along are LiPo Guard bags. So far, I have not been given any trouble about all my many batteries by a TSA agent but I have them ready so I can quickly pack the batteries in the protective cases. The reason I don't pack them in advance is because it make makes my backpack more bulky.
Check out QCopterCam.com if you would like to see my videos. Hope you have a good time on your trip!
John

Yes, All the time. I am on a fly trip out to San Francisco to attend Maker Faire now. The only thing you might want to have along are LiPo Guard bags. So far, I have not been given any trouble about all my many batteries by a TSA agent but I have them ready so I can quickly pack the batteries in the protective cases. The reason I don't pack them in advance is because it make makes my backpack more bulky.
Check out QCopterCam.com if you would like to see my videos. Hope you have a good time on your trip!
John
That's a good point, you need to know the rules for LiPo batteries. Here in the US the FAA says they must be protected from shorting, however there is no specifics on that. Bags work good, but not mandatory. Simply putting them in a backpack with a foam insert that's cut specific for your batteries makes it impossible to short, so that's adequate protection from shorting IMO. Even putting each battery in a separate none conductive compartment separates them from anything else in the bag that might short them, adequate IMO. The max battery size allowed is 100W, and the P4 is 81Wh (5.350ah X 15.2v= 81.320Wh), so you're well within the limit.

I've never been hassled when travelling in the US, and I've made about 18 flights in the last year. I've only been swabbed once at LAX when going to Newark. No problem.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl