Drones in Uganda

Reaction score
Greetings Fellow Flyers,

I am heading to Uganda in May to film a missionary group traveling the country. Naturally, I would really like to bring my Phantom 3 with me. However, I am reading A LOT of mixed reports about doing so. Few sites say they are banned and illegal as of Feb 2015, but I have seen a lot of recent videos taken with drones in Uganda. Only a few weeks and months ago. Really need a clear answer before committing my phantom to customs gods.

Reason I'm leary. This February I travelled to Nicaragua and got my drone confiscated at customs for 4 days. I would really like to avoid doing that again.....

Thanks guys!

Just ask the embassy where you are in. They will answer you. Thanks G

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

CodyR - did you end up taking your drone to Uganda and flying it? I am based in Tanzania and curious

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Greetings Fellow Flyers,

I am heading to Uganda in May to film a missionary group traveling the country. Naturally, I would really like to bring my Phantom 3 with me. However, I am reading A LOT of mixed reports about doing so. Few sites say they are banned and illegal as of Feb 2015, but I have seen a lot of recent videos taken with drones in Uganda. Only a few weeks and months ago. Really need a clear answer before committing my phantom to customs gods.

Reason I'm leary. This February I travelled to Nicaragua and got my drone confiscated at customs for 4 days. I would really like to avoid doing that again.....

Thanks guys!

CodyR - did you end up taking your drone to Uganda and flying it?

I am heading to Uganda in 2 weeks. I am going to call the embassy next week to see if I need to leave my P3 at home.

Got back a few weeks ago, didn't have any problems, got great shots. You'll be an instant mini-celebrity! When you need to concentrate on flying, try to stay hidden so you don't get mobbed. The only possible concern is when you go through screening at the airport as they flag some folks for X-rays... just walk towards the right side and look straight ahead! Good luck mzungu!

Got back a few weeks ago, didn't have any problems, got great shots. You'll be an instant mini-celebrity! When you need to concentrate on flying, try to stay hidden so you don't get mobbed. The only possible concern is when you go through screening at the airport as they flag some folks for X-rays... just walk towards the right side and look straight ahead! Good luck mzungu!
Did you carry it on or put it with your luggage?

I'm interested please me know, we are trying to decide to between Sri Lanka and Ugunda. I'm leaning towards Uganda, the wife is leaning towards Sri Lanka.

I m travelling in Uganda this summer, I would like to bring my drone. Is anyone got some informations? I sent email at the CAA (civil aviation authority) to get a clearance but I didn't receive answer ..
So I don't know what should I do.

I m travelling in Uganda this summer, I would like to bring my drone. Is anyone got some informations? I sent email at the CAA (civil aviation authority) to get a clearance but I didn't receive answer ..
So I don't know what should I do.

I am travelling to Uganda in September this year. I also contacted the CAA and didn't get any respone too. I have contacted the company Film Fixers Uganda and immediately received an answer. They told me it would cost me 600$ for clearance.
I am still trying to contact the CAA directly because I am not going to pay that amount of money.

I am travelling to Uganda in September this year. I also contacted the CAA and didn't get any respone too. I have contacted the company Film Fixers Uganda and immediately received an answer. They told me it would cost me 600$ for clearance.
I am still trying to contact the CAA directly because I am not going to pay that amount of money.

600$ !!! No way ..
I have sent email to uwa but I also didn't get answer, and I still don't have news from the CAA. It's annoying , I m going to call the embassy tmr. I will let you know

I have called the Uganda embassy in paris, they told if the drone is small they consider it like a camera and I don't need clearance.
Now I just have to check with the airline compagny

I have called the Uganda embassy in paris, they told if the drone is small they consider it like a camera and I don't need clearance.
Now I just have to check with the airline compagny
What kind of drone do you have?
I also contacted the embassy they told me to contact the company Film Fixers and to contact the CAA.
I think I try to call them as well.
I already got clearance from the airline and airport. Now i am waiting for clearance from Uganda, Kenya and Tanzania.

What kind of drone do you have?
I also contacted the embassy they told me to contact the company Film Fixers and to contact the CAA.
I think I try to call them as well.
I already got clearance from the airline and airport. Now i am waiting for clearance from Uganda, Kenya and Tanzania.

I have a mavic pro from dji.
I also contacted the CAA... but they never replied. From which airline did you get the clearance ? I m traveling with Kenya airways and I don't know if I m allow or not .
What's this compagnie film fixers ?

I have a mavic pro from dji.
I also contacted the CAA... but they never replied. From which airline did you get the clearance ? I m traveling with Kenya airways and I don't know if I m allow or not .
What's this compagnie film fixers ?
I have the same drone.
I am travelling with Turkish Airlines and have a connected flight at Istanbul Airport. In Turkey drones are forbidden, which means I needed to get a clearance from the airport.
I will have to put the drone in the check-in baggage, otherwise it will be confiscated in Turkey.

Importing Drones | Film Fixers Uganda :this is the company who charged me 600$.

I have the same drone.
I am travelling with Turkish Airlines and have a connected flight at Istanbul Airport. In Turkey drones are forbidden, which means I needed to get a clearance from the airport.
I will have to put the drone in the check-in baggage, otherwise it will be confiscated in Turkey.

Importing Drones | Film Fixers Uganda :this is the company who charged me 600$.
I m travelling with Egyptair and i also stop off in turkey for one hour. I m planning to check in my drone and keep the battery in my hand bagage.
I won't pay 600$ for my drone. In this case I leave it in France (I am from paris).
It's annoying because nothing is clear.
Turkish airlines let you bring the drone in the aircraft ?

Yes Turkish Airlines allowed me to take my drone as carry-on baggage. They have specific rules concerning the power of the batteries. Batteries up to 100Wh can be carried in the cabin and check-in baggage. The Mavic has a 43 W battery. The only problem was the airport, they don't allow me to take the drone as cabin baggage.
I am not going to pay 600$, I think they don´t even know what kind of drone the mavic is.
It is indeed really annoying. I really want to take my drone with me but the last thing I want is to get to customs and have my drone taken away from me.

Yes Turkish Airlines allowed me to take my drone as carry-on baggage. They have specific rules concerning the power of the batteries. Batteries up to 100Wh can be carried in the cabin and check-in baggage. The Mavic has a 43 W battery. The only problem was the airport, they don't allow me to take the drone as cabin baggage.
I am not going to pay 600$, I think they don´t even know what kind of drone the mavic is.
It is indeed really annoying. I really want to take my drone with me but the last thing I want is to get to customs and have my drone taken away from me.

Ok i see, i m going to Uganda in July, when and where are you travelling ?
I will let you know about my experiences.
I m just waiting a confirmation about Kenya airways , if it's ok I m bringing it in Uganda. I would love video this area .

Live in Uganda. Drones are now not allowed since some idiot decide to fly one into the presidential compound or something like that. If you X-ray your bags at the airport the will keep it till you leave you can pick it up when you leave. If they don't X-ray your bags you can the bring it in and fly it. Most local police don't now they are and are usally man more curious don't think they know they are not allowed. Also if you fly them in local game parks you need a special 200$ camera permit.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl