Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Drones 2 - FAA 0

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Suwaneeguy, Jul 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Suwaneeguy

http://gigaom.com/2014/07/21/search-and ... -faa-case/

A texas based search and rescue group has been given a green light to fly after ruling the FAA had no legal claims.
    The group voluntarily grounded themselves after receiving an email that the activity was illegal.
    Then filed a lawsuit to clarify the matter.
    The court basically said that a mere email is not enough to begin legal procedings.

Earlier in the year, the NTSB ruled that the FAA had no authority over UAV's and certainly could not prosecute on a law that did not exist.
    So why is the FAA, and other authorities like NYC, attempting to enforce these non-existant laws?

The laws that are in place, and enforceable are for properly licensed aircrafts and pilots thereof.

If I can legally fly a licensed helicopter 100 feet above a crowd, why can I not fly my UAV over the same crowd?
    A farmer can hire a crop duster to maintain his crops, but he can't fly a drone to survey his field?

2. QYV

QYV

good! I've always thought the search & rescue ban was incredibly dumb.

I still don't think it's wise to fly over a crowd, but not for any legal reason just overall.. man what if any little thing happened? The last thing I want to do is injure anyone and if you're flying over a crowd it's pretty much guaranteed. At least with a full size heli people are more likely to notice, and the pilot probably has a chance to auto-rotate to a less populated area.

Also I'm not sure they're allowed to be 100 feet above a crowd ;)

3. LuvMyTJ

LuvMyTJ ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.