Drone registration ruled unlawful by U.S. Court of Appeals

I went to the regular FAA drone registration site. I've registered 5 drones and this is the first time there was a increase in price if you select the commercial box on FAA page.
MY GOD MAN, CAN'T YOU UNDERSTAND THE REGISTRATION PROCESS????

I REGISTRATION COVERS 12,000,172,152 DRONES YOU OWN!!!!

WHY WOULD YOU "REGISTER" MORE THAN ONCE????????

Reactions: RKBA
I went to the regular FAA drone registration site. I've registered 5 drones and this is the first time there was a increase in price if you select the commercial box on FAA page.

MY GOD MAN, CAN'T YOU UNDERSTAND THE REGISTRATION PROCESS????

I REGISTRATION COVERS 12,000,172,152 DRONES YOU OWN!!!!

WHY WOULD YOU "REGISTER" MORE THAN ONCE????????

Dude, why are you screaming?

A single user hobbyist registration covers the hobbyist for as many drones as he ownes.
However, the same is not true for commercial sUAS operation. For commercial, each drone must be registered, and @skyanchor did say commercial....

Reactions: sar104
Pretty big news in the drone world as the U.S. Court of Appeals ruled the FAA's drone registration is illegal.

Curious to see what happens next. A while back, I interviewed the attorney, John Taylor, who was suing the FAA over the registration rule. If you want some background of the lawsuit, you can see the interview here.

Small feeling of satisfaction for those who chose to not register. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: RKBA
They didn't get sucked in, they simply followed a Federal Regulation that has now been overturned.
No, they got sucked in...... some of us knew the "regulation" was invalid and wrong and we stood our ground. It's what thinking people with strong convictions do.

Reactions: dgd3
No, they got sucked in...... some of us knew the "regulation" was invalid and wrong and we stood our ground. It's what thinking people with strong convictions do.

It's entirely your prerogative to put your own personal opinion above the written law on the assumption that it will be overturned, and that it will happen before you are prosecuted for breaking it. But if you expect most people to agree with you that you were being clever then you will be disappointed. And, if you do that frequently enough, you will pay the penalty.

Reactions: HitFactor and dgd3
+1 for: Not Clever

Possibly another ex post facto Internet tough guy.

Reactions: sar104
It's entirely your prerogative to put your own personal opinion above the written law on the assumption that it will be overturned, and that it will happen before you are prosecuted for breaking it. But if you expect most people to agree with you that you were being clever then you will be disappointed. And, if you do that frequently enough, you will pay the penalty.
It's not my "opinion" or an assumption on my part and I could care less if anyone agrees with me... I know the law and the limitations of government power. "Regulations" such as these overstep these boundaries and I would have welcomed some FAA bureaucrat to try to initiate a prosecution of fine on me.
It's called STANDING UP FOR ONE'S RIGHTS!

I would like to see some sort of Federal guideline control program in place. The registration was a bare minimum. If there is no FAA enforcement of any guidelines, the thing I most fear is that each municipality will come up with their own rules. The easiest rule they can come up with is an outright ban. It only takes a couple of city council meetings where someone proposes a drone ban and if no one stands up to say it's a bad idea, it becomes local ordinance.

If there is some type of FAA regulation going on, at least we can say drones are covered under existing guidelines.

It's not my "opinion" or an assumption on my part and I could care less if anyone agrees with me... I know the law and the limitations of government power. "Regulations" such as these overstep these boundaries and I would have welcomed some FAA bureaucrat to try to initiate a prosecution of fine on me.
It's called STANDING UP FOR ONE'S RIGHTS!

No - standing up for your rights would have been challenging the regulation in court, which is what others did, not ignoring the law and then blathering afterwards about how great you are when someone else takes care of it for you.

No - standing up for your rights would have been challenging the regulation in court, which is what others did, not ignoring the law and then blathering afterwards about how great you are when someone else takes care of it for you.
Blah blah blah........ Whatever

I don't agree with the registration of "hobbyist" drones as currently implemented as there is no cost benefit to only having a list of people who at one time submitted their name to the FAA. It serves almost no purpose that I can think of other than increasing taxes.

Kong,
You hit it on the head. MORE $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for our over regulating, greedy government!!!!

Some may call this a victory - I have mixed feelings.

The FAA may now go dormant with regards to hobbyists and drones - until some yahoo who feels empowered by the fact that he'll get his 5 bucks refunded decides to fly over the capital building . There's many unanswered questions that are now dangling out there. I personally didn't think registration was a bad thing, what REALLY needed to be addressed was/ is the ridiculousness of FAR 101(e)
totally agree. I have no problem with the $5 registration which I dutifully did. However, the over reaching 101 code was ridiculous.

101.41(e) is my issue. Who ever came up with was either a non-pilot or a crop duster

The problem is that our equipment can easily get up into the patterns and the approach and departure lanes. If you know what you are doing then you can avoid those conflicts, but it's quite clear that many of the new breed of hobby pilots don't have a clue. At least this gives the airport operators some warning and the opportunity to advise on locations.

I think it's an appropriate requirement, especially since you can come to a standing agreement with many airports if your flights are clearly never going to cause traffic conflicts.

Reactions: Indiana_pyro

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT