FAA Sued In Federal Court Over Drone Registration Rules

"He expected other hobby groups or drone manufacturers to file suit against the registration rules but when they didn’t, he decided to step up himself."

I like this guys moxie! Lets hope he is up for the challenge! A big tip 'o' the hat to you Mr.Taylor!

They will probably rule he has no "standing". Seems to work for most cases .gov doesn't want to hear.

True. There's an amendment in the Bill of Rights that specifically protects firearms ownership, but the court refused to hear challenges to gun restrictions for over 60 years. How long for drones? 200 years?

I'm surprised he was the first! I thought the AMA would have filed suit by now.

Here is my current opinion.

This is all going to come down to a few things;

The first judge that hears this is honest and believes in the rule of law and how the judge will interpret it. Any judge that believes more in the public freedom and rights than the government is going to be of help here.

The toughest part IMHO is going to prove the irreparable harm. The folks trying to build UAS and test them as a business have more of a chance in this case in my mind as it impedes innovation, business and thus the pursuit of happiness.

As to the AMA - I think they are more interested in having their sanctioned fields open and limit UAS to those locations. As part of the FAA documents refer to "Community Guidelines" and organization. This makes me think that the FAA and AMA are playing good cop/ bad cop with the public. Maybe I am wrong but it smells like crony capitalism, the FAA and AMA are in closed room talks, the FAA clamps down on UAS. The AMA tells everyone to sit tight, note no threat of legal action, then after a month, the FAA backs off, refunds everyone their $5 and restricts UAS flying to the "Community Sanctioned Fields." Now the third party of the cronies comes to play and tada, the rest of the air space is open to Amazon who suddenly is sponsoring the UAS control efforts as they have a vested interest. It's a theory based on facts, I could be wrong but given the direction of the US today it is possible and probable.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
The AMA is not against registration and were in talks with the FAA for the current 'rules'..they thought the FAA was going to allow them to be the registration authority for UAS. Now they seem to be butt hurt.

Reactions: aka1ceman
The AMA is not against registration and were in talks with the FAA for the current 'rules'..they thought the FAA was going to allow them to be the registration authority for UAS. Now they seem to be butt hurt.
Agreed - that's why I am thinking of that first 30 days for free, something besides making people want to sign up since it is free so the FAA gets people on board quickly. It feels like something else going on, I am not saying it is nefarious of anything, just, bureaucrats are rarely straightforward and open. Though I would be happy to be wrong here.

The reasons things happen in government rarely are for what's stated publicly. The real reasons are buying votes, getting campaign contributions, rewarding friends, giving preferential treatment to one group in exchange for something else, or simply political posturing.

The FAA is getting something. I was thinking about this last night, and the only thing I can come up with now is what Formstone alluded to. This registration is the first step. The second or third is to restrict hobby flying to fields designated for such. The Amazon angle sounds far-fetched, but isn't out of the question if other businesses get into using drones. That would be a very plausible reason for this registration.

The internet sales tax bill has been slowly but steadily advancing in Congress. The single biggest lobbyist for the legislation is Amazon, as they know it will drive small internet retailers out of business.

Like any law-abiding citizen I registered my drone and paid by five dollars to the FAA. But I have yet to be refunded the five dollars that they said they would do has anybody else in the same situation that I am?

The reasons things happen in government rarely are for what's stated publicly. The real reasons are buying votes, getting campaign contributions, rewarding friends, giving preferential treatment to one group in exchange for something else, or simply political posturing.

The FAA is getting something. I was thinking about this last night, and the only thing I can come up with now is what Formstone alluded to. This registration is the first step. The second or third is to restrict hobby flying to fields designated for such. The Amazon angle sounds far-fetched, but isn't out of the question if other businesses get into using drones. That would be a very plausible reason for this registration.

The internet sales tax bill has been slowly but steadily advancing in Congress. The single biggest lobbyist for the legislation is Amazon, as they know it will drive small internet retailers out of business.

I don't think the FAA needed drone pilots to register in order to restrict us to flying in designated fields. They control the air space, they could have simply said, no drones are allowed in NAS.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers