Drone registration ruled unlawful by U.S. Court of Appeals

Registered the P4 the day I purchased it, not too fiddly a process, nor expensive. Either way even if the FAA ruling doesn't get overturned, somehow some registration database like with the AMA or an AMA consortium with the manufacturers is bound to be put in place sooner or later. Now some of the Rules under 336 in particular the BLOS in particular for me here at my "FBO" need to be looked at because I'm largely surrounded by unpopulated conservation forest here in the valley. Basically, after preflight and launch, I need to clear the treetops at 130' and since it's upslope from there, I need to set a waypoint to 350' AGL to fly a few hundred feet to a POI. I do have good signal and video even thru the treetops, and even if the Phantom would lose power or "fly away" its not coming down on anyone or anything, just making a "nest" in one of the treetops... Blanket rules just don't do it, particularly with the rapid change in technology that the Drone/UAV field is undergoing.

I just finished reading the court order. It seems that the only thing changed is the registration requirement. I don't know on what the authority for the 5 mile airport exclusion/notification zone is based.

Would you rather have municipalities create their own questionable registration policies and then take every single one of them to court to get reversals?

Exactly. Putting this in the hands of local law makers will be an absolute disaster.

Exactly. Putting this in the hands of local law makers will be an absolute disaster.

It won't. Some FAA rule states no other authority may impose registration of model aircraft. Unless that wording was also changed with this court ruling then no authority may impose any registration of model aircraft.

It won't. Some FAA rule states no other authority may impose registration of model aircraft. Unless that wording was also changed with this court ruling then no authority may impose any registration of model aircraft.

That rule doesn't exist. It was an advisory memo and it only called for coordination with the FAA when making local rules.

I just finished reading the court order. It seems that the only thing changed is the registration requirement. I don't know on what the authority for the 5 mile airport exclusion/notification zone is based.

That's the Special Rule, Section 336 of the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012.

Guy I have moved this to news hoping we will stop having so many duplicates on it .
Thank You to all that have reported them and continue to do so as you see them . I will do my best to try and keep all this together . Thanks

So, does this mean we get our $5 back? :^)

Likely not, it usually doesn't work that way in these types of cases.

And let's not forget this may not be over. The FAA might appeal this ruling up the chain. If they do that they will likely ask for an injunction against this ruling until it is decided. I couldn't even guess at the likelihood of an injunction being granted.

More than likely the FAA will keep the current registration infrastructure in place and petition congress to change the law giving them the appropriate authority. All in all, not much will change. Except, perhaps, for the morons that hear this news and assume that means there are no longer ANY rule on drones. Could get interesting.

I don't need big brother watching over me to make responsible decisions.

But many others do.
Thus you will be governed by what the majority deems necessary.

I think that the registration is a good thing. It makes me think twice about my flight decisions. That's just me.
"Laws work on those on whom they will work." Quote from my masters criminal justice class.

So this one works for you. But many others don't care.

Fourtunately 'those on whom' are still in/of the majority.
Otherwise... anarchy?

Some may call this a victory - I have mixed feelings.

The FAA may now go dormant with regards to hobbyists and drones - until some yahoo who feels empowered by the fact that he'll get his 5 bucks refunded decides to fly over the capital building . There's many unanswered questions that are now dangling out there. I personally didn't think registration was a bad thing, what REALLY needed to be addressed was/ is the ridiculousness of FAR 101(e)

Some may call this a victory - I have mixed feelings.

The FAA may now go dormant with regards to hobbyists and drones - until some yahoo who feels empowered by the fact that he'll get his 5 bucks refunded decides to fly over the capital building . There's many unanswered questions that are now dangling out there. I personally didn't think registration was a bad thing, what REALLY needed to be addressed was/ is the ridiculousness of FAR 101(e)
Do you honestly think that a $5 fee and registration will make the difference in that person flying or not flying over that building?

Reactions: yorlik and smiller

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94