Drone crash video

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
The solitude and beauty of that area is amazing.
Taken from near the crash site during post crash checkout flight.

In almost every crash video's I've watched, the battery has popped out. Must be the flexing of the sirframe? Thankfully you found the battery. That's a $100+ bill right there.

Wow. Here's my learning experience....just 3rd flight overall and I was stoked and decided to fly 3,700 ft or so mission lost signal and drone. I learned that what ever height you think will work, add 100 more feet to it...lol...took me 12 hours (used healthy drones to find last known signal and then canvassed the area) and a lucky land in the top of a 75 foot tree then I had to climb a ladder and match fence poles totally fit 70 feet and balance the pole while on the ladder and gently drone landed upside down on forest floor!!!! Unscathed and just for looks I changed propellers out (had pine scuffs on them).....flew again next day (nerves were shot though)..now after 3 weeks I'm flying 4,000 ft missions at 320 ft and 33 mph....beast mode.

Here's the "black box video" 100 ft tree

It's lucky the tree was in the way, it looked like you were heading for those powerlines or whatever they are.
There are no power lines in the path at all. I was flying backwards and never faced in that direction so I'm not sure what you saw me flying towards. In fact, no power lines for miles.

Edit: oh now I see you were replying to MOBETTER. Yeah I see what you mean!

When planning an automated mission, pine trees are higher than you think. I thought I added enough altitude for the highest terrain on the mission route. Not.

A question to the P4P owners: would the P4 have not crashed into those trees?

Watching the drone up there can be deceiving. Can't always tell if you are above the treetops.

I keep the camera pointed all the way up straightforward and go to the altitude I think I want to be. Then I do a slow 360 and anything that's poking above the horizon is higher than me. So I go up higher so that the elevation of the highest object is below the horizon. Sometimes I have to make this my return to home altitude. But I'm from the prairies and very seldom is there anything higher than 20 m except "some" trees and quite a lot of communications towers. Many of them easily exceed 80 m. And that's a long way to come down after the return to home. I did have the experience where at 300 m it took longer to come down than the battery had energy for. It gave out at about 63 m. The darn phantom climbs way faster than it descends :)

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I keep the camera pointed all the way up straightforward and go to the altitude I think I want to be. Then I do a slow 360 and anything that's poking above the horizon is higher than me. So I go up higher so that the elevation of the highest object is below the horizon. Sometimes I have to make this my return to home altitude. But I'm from the prairies and very seldom is there anything higher than 20 m except "some" trees and quite a lot of communications towers. Many of them easily exceed 80 m. And that's a long way to come down after the return to home. I did have the experience where at 300 m it took longer to come down than the battery had energy for. It gave out at about 63 m. The darn phantom climbs way faster than it descends :)

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
Good idea. May not be 100% reliable in mountainous terrain. But a great starting point.

What I took away from this was the same as dgd3; that you manually flew it up before engaging the mission.

So, if you plan one, at least locally, fly it up to that planned mission altitude and do a 360 to kinda double check anything that may be in the way not planned for before engaging.

Hindsight sucks, I'm happy you got it back

What I took away from this was the same as dgd3; that you manually flew it up before engaging the mission.

So, if you plan one, at least locally, fly it up to that planned mission altitude and do a 360 to kinda double check anything that may be in the way not planned for before engaging.

Hindsight sucks, I'm happy you got it back
The 360 is a great idea, and an obvious one in hindsight I guess. I did fly up manually first and measured what I thought was the tallest tree in the area. But I was wrong.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart