Drastic speed reduction with new Firmware

So no drastic reductions to report? Seems the thread title might be misleading.
For anyone wanting to report their findings, the app gives a clear readout of vertical speed and horizontal speed - just have to consider wind if looking at horizontal speed.

OK... can someone please help me get up to speed on this latest firmware upgrade? So according to DJI, v1.6.0040 fixes/improves as follows:

1. Improved battery reliability when using the aircraft in cold environments.
2. Optimized battery management.

My questions are:

--What were the issues when flying in cold temps? Is this related to the battery turning off in mid-flight because it was too cold?

-- Optimized battery management: Does this fix the issue of the battery shutting off suddenly when taking off with less than 100% after several days of no use?

I have not done the upgrade, but my takeaway from reading this and other threads about the new firmware is that there is no reduction in maximum speed. However, under cold conditions, there is a reduction in acceleration both horizontally and vertically. It appears this has been done in response to problems of sudden drop in battery power some have been experiencing while flying in very cold temperatures. It looks like there is also a battery firmware update available in this release also designed to help operation in very cold temperatures.

Does that seem to be an accurate assessment?

But I keep my batteries warm and usually I'm flying slowly for filming. Don't batteries get warm during flight even in cold temps? I say again, many people have chimed in along the way about not having problems at all in very cold temperatures. All of a sudden it's a problem that had to be addressed? Did they realize, uh just now, that the phantom is over spec'd for the batteries? Can't you just fly more conservatively in cold temperatures and avoid problems?

I suppose you could. Even if you don't, chances are that you won't have an issue. But a scenario exists where you might and DJI has attempted to correct that scenario with this last update.

OK... can someone please help me get up to speed on this latest firmware upgrade? So according to DJI, v1.6.0040 fixes/improves as follows:

1. Improved battery reliability when using the aircraft in cold environments.
2. Optimized battery management.

My questions are:

--What were the issues when flying in cold temps? Is this related to the battery turning off in mid-flight because it was too cold?

-- Optimized battery management: Does this fix the issue of the battery shutting off suddenly when taking off with less than 100% after several days of no use?

You might want to search for a post I made yesterday on this. In short, the issue was when flying in cold weather that would most likely only happen with a battery that was lower on charge and cool/cold. Yes, this firmware was put out in an effort to correct this issue.

Ok, Just updated my P3p and my 4 batteries this morning.
I live in Las Vegas. 54 degrees F. No wind at all.

The vertical ascending speed is noticeably slower now. horizontal speed, I reached 36 MPH, but the
acceleration was noticeably slower. I used to love how fast this quad could accelerate upward. Now
it is very slow.

Very disappointing update. Feels like i am in Beginner mode or the Emergency brake was left on. LOL

Has anyone successfully switched back to the previous firmware and how did you do it.???

Thanks

Question out of topic.
I will be in Las Vegas on Jan-1-16 for few days and planning to take my P3 with me do some flying. I'm going to stay at Wynn and probably will fly over the strip. Just checked it on DJI Go app map and only airport marked no fly zone. for the strip all clear. But do you know if its legal? What are the rules there? Thanks.

Yes .. very much off topic.
Please start a separate thread for unrelated queries.
It helps to keep some order here.

btw .. flying over the strip or any other inner urban area doesn't sound like a very good idea for several reasons.
Well, the reason I asked him without making a new thread was because Mike mentioned he leaves in Las Vegas. I did not expect moderator jump and <try to kick me out of here> for asking someone a question.

Well, the reason I asked him without making a new thread was because Mike mentioned he leaves in Las Vegas. I did not expect moderator jump and <try to kick me out of here> for asking someone a question.
No-one's trying to kick you out but asking random unrelated questions in someone else's thread is bad etiquette.
We have community guidelines to keep some sort of order and you'd do well to read them.
Community Guidelines | DJI Phantom Forum

Meanwhile if you have a question about Las Vegas, start your own thread with a relevant title and you'll get lots more input.
Now .. back to our scheduled program .......

Where did you hear about this?
No one changes any part just for the sake of changing them, there is always a reason behind them. DJI has openly said that they are changing them to streamlining their production but integrating 4 ESCs into one board. This would definitely simplify production process, reduce number of inventory items....and also to incorporate new secs to match with new motors.

I've been on 1.6, and haven't seen drastic climb rate reduction, but I'm in Florida. 83*f today. I have been having connection issues, which I've posted over there. These connection issues seem to be linked to the update and the DJI GO App . Once connected there's no issue, and flight seems to match the previous firmware.

Reactions: Oso
No one changes any part just for the sake of changing them, there is always a reason behind them. DJI has openly said that they are changing them to streamlining their production but integrating 4 ESCs into one board. This would definitely simplify production process, reduce number of inventory items....and also to incorporate new secs to match with new motors.
The original P3s also had the ESCs on the main board.
DJI simply started using another motor and had to change the ESCs to something compatible with the new motors.
Streamlining their production could mean anything (or nothing)

Reactions: alokbhargava
Perhaps dji isn't mentioning that something was "fixed" because that's close to admitting something was "broke" and corporations don't like to admit anything that could result in liability.

Reactions: Mario_SB
Perhaps dji isn't mentioning that something was "fixed" because that's close to admitting something was "broke" and corporations don't like to admit anything that could result in liability.

They already have enough problems having to replace all those cracked shells. My Phantom 3 was returned within 2 weeks after discovering cracks arounds it's 100th flight.

Again your Orginal post stated that the the reduction in speed was because of shell cracking . And now you're talking about a totally different topic . Please stop with these pointless unfactual guesses that have nothing to do with anything . Most if not all of your posts are not only useless and wrong but also harmful.

Ok, so I updated and I can weigh in on the speed thing, but not in actual numbers- sorry. I didn't keep track of the speed numbers previously so I had nothing to go on. All I can comment on is perceived feel now. To me, almost nothing feels different. In fact maybe nothing at all? The bird feels like it's climbing just as fast and coming down feels literally the same to me. Forward speed seems the same too. I'm not sure what the fuss is all about. Keep in mind I do not zip the phantom around anyway. I don't crawl up there, but I've worked a long time training myself to finesse the bird for filming, not race it around. Some loss of speed was one of the things that bothered me least about a possible sacrifice. It was probably a gusty 12mph wind at 150' up there tonight, so the bird was pushing through some wind, with ease I might add. I actually felt great about 'flooring' it a bit, having the battery update done. It's 52F temperature out there- warm for us in the NE. That maybe is a factor for not really noticing any speed reductions. When it get to be 20F I'll see. But regardless, it was knowing that I will be flying in cold conditions that made me decide to push through and just do the update. I am confident in one thing now having done a couple updates- my bird and rc have no troubles updating. They don't break during the process. DJI could break something with a bug, but my hardware takes updates without issue. That's a good feeling. Also, the Go app and fpv streaming is the same as always so far- solid and glitch free. I always fly with windsurfers on as well.

That's my take for now!

Reactions: Oso

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl