downgrading software

why not?...i am not a fan of limits myself...so if it can be done...i would like to know how...not saying i would but i may or might want to later on...

Big Chips said:
why not?...i am not a fan of limits myself...so if it can be done...i would like to know how...not saying i would but i may or might want to later on...

What limits? are you talking about the violation of FAA rules and putting people in risk by flying near airports?

DJI updates the NAZA with their assistant software. That is the software you use to connect the computer to the Phantom and update the firmware. They only provide the latest software (usually) for download. So all you have to do is download an older Assistant software. Any Vision firmware (there are 3 versions) will fly your P2V+.

Forum member gunslinger has 1.08 and other earlier Vision software downloads here:
http://droneslinger.com/software.html

Download the one you want. Many forum members like 1.08 because it seems the most stable and is "pre" flight restrictions. All the telemetry still works. Version 3 (current) has some issues with GPS and compass synch. Its a little wobbly. You can get 1.08 here: http://www.droneslinger.com/software/assistant-1-08.zip

Just download it, run it and connect to your Phantom to update the firmware. Boom.

MikesTooLz said:
What limits? are you talking about the violation of FAA rules and putting people in risk by flying near airports?

I could see where one might get the sense that the other poster is talking about DJI's arbitrary and capricious restrictions (i.e. their unilateral decision to turn our Phantoms into Gimp-a-copters without our permission or input).

As long as one is responsible, flying close in to airports can still be done safely without putting people at risk. Take the area near Reagan National in DC as an example... one could hardly argue that flying next to/near the Washington Monument to get some cool pictures would put people at risk, or flying at low altitude above the Potomac to video cherry blossoms is a risky move from a safety perspective. There's a whole thread on here somewhere that's dedicated to discussing the arbitrary (and senseless) nature of some of these restrictions.

I don't mean to say that you're completely wrong in your assertion (as we always need to be concerned about safety) - but I do feel that it's necessary to point out that DJI didn't add their restrictions in as a result of FAA demands or anything, and that it isn't always so cut-and-dry about causing danger to other aircraft when flying close to airports.

Just because your car can go 150mph, you don't. And having it limited would be stupid and restrictive. I don't want the restrictions, so I fly 1.08. Restricted or not, do the right thing when you fly. See the FAA fact sheet about UAS was released in January here:

http://www.faa.gov/news/fact_sheets/new ... wsId=14153

Model aircraft guidance circular:
http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/medi ... /91-57.pdf

If your going to fly over a large, populated area or somewhere that there are security concerns (Manhatten, DC), please speak with authorities first. These things crash and fail/fall significantly. They are not safe enough to do so without engine redundancy and control redundancy. I don't want one falling on a 3 year old.

I am a licensed pilot as well as a HUGE phantom fan & pilot. Small aircraft (including ultralights without a cockpit) can fly in class G airspace (0-700 feet uncontrolled airspace) regularly, the same airspace we fly our phantoms in. If one of our phantoms gets smacked by a Cessna going 110 knots or an ultralight pilot doing 60 knots, the results could be disastrous and deadly. You will have damaged property and possibly killed someone, along with our awesome hobby. If you don't think a Phantom can hurt a plane, your wrong. I've seen small aircraft brought down by a bird-strike with a seagull.

I have my firmware set on a maximum altitude of 121 meters (400 feet). If my phantom is ever involved in a collision, the firmware will prove I was within the FAA guidelines. I also maintain LOS (line of sight) at all times. If I am flying FPV, I have a spotter maintaining LOS for me. I stay away from people. I don't loiter over private houses without speaking to the owners beforehand. I don't sell my videos (though I should be able to). Lastly, I try and do no harm.

The NAZA flight controllers are awesome, but they are not FAA certified and could fail at any time. So are the DJI motors. An out of control Phantom coming down onto a highway and causing a traffic accident or into a crowd of school children is not unimaginable (see all the flyaway videos). Cities are not the place to fly these things. If you do, you are taking a lot of risk; you will be liable for the damage or injuries you cause, and you will have given our hobby a BIG black eye.

If you want to go higher, I suggest three things to be as safe as possible: a spotter looking for other aircraft, a call to local flight controllers to let them know where and when you will be operating (skydivers do this all the time) and have a transceiver capable of transmitting on UNICOM or MULTICOM (122.700 mHz/ 122.900 MHz) to announce your intentions while you are flying. You can speak to the pilots at your nearest airport and find out what frequency they commonly monitor. I recommend a Yaesu FTA-230 available here: http://www.sportys.com/PilotShop/product/17733

One day, a really cheap ADS-B transponder will be available, along with a logic board to avoid other aircraft with ADS-B transponders. Until then, you are flying blind and a danger to airmen if you bust 400 feet or go out of LOS. Period. Just because my car can go 170mph, it doesn't mean I drive at 170mph. While my Phantom can reach 2000 feet, it doesn't mean I'll ever fly it that high. Those idiots flying through solid overcast on YouTube are going to kill someone.

Whatever firmware you use, don't be stupid..

DrJoe said:
DJI updates the NAZA with their assistant software. That is the software you use to connect the computer to the Phantom and update the firmware. They only provide the latest software (usually) for download. So all you have to do is download an older Assistant software. Any Vision firmware (there are 3 versions) will fly your P2V+.

Forum member gunslinger has 1.08 and other earlier Vision software downloads here:
http://droneslinger.com/software.html

Download the one you want. Many forum members like 1.08 because it seems the most stable and is "pre" flight restrictions. All the telemetry still works. Version 3 (current) has some issues with GPS and compass synch. Its a little wobbly. You can get 1.08 here: http://www.droneslinger.com/software/assistant-1-08.zip

Just download it, run it and connect to your Phantom to update the firmware. Boom.

earlier versions are also available here http://sharewith.excipere.com/

MikesTooLz said:
Big Chips said:

There are no "FAA Rules" governing our small Phantom quad copters. And you're not pitting people at any great risk flying near an airport provided you're not flying in the approach paths at high enough altitudes to cause a problem. Also there are many tall buildings near airports but with the new flight restrictions you can't even take off in some cases. No matter how close you are to an airport at minimum you can fly at least 1 or 2 stories high without being any form of safety risk. And what about air clubs that specifically permit flying but now you can't take off because it may be near one of djis no fly zones. Bottom line is the end user needs to have the option of disabling the new fly safe feature at their own discretion and when appropriate.

BenDronePilot said:
... Bottom line is the end user needs to have the option of disabling the new fly safe feature at their own discretion and when appropriate.

Just try filming at protest at Tiananmen square. 15km exclusion zone is part of the restrictions. Not anymore! They had to do this geofencing to please the Chinese authorities, then covered the restriction with a media friendly "safety" story that resulted in pretty shoddy airport restrictions.

I'll get the 3.0 + when the waypoint update comes out and when they fix the GPS/compass/altitude errors, but I'll fly the 1.08 most of the time.

But be SAFE!

I just rolled back to 1.08 and tried using it with the new DJI (1.0.39) app. No luck the video feed keep freezing so I went back to the old one (1.0.38). Flys awesome! I love this machine

I may be downgrading. Had a vision 2 for two weeks and just traded up for the plus. The camera will work but the gimbal points down. Open to suggestions. Thanks.

I wish I could get 1.0.39 to work. I want to try the FPV option in the app. Anyone having freezing problems with the new app?

DrJoe said:
Just because your car can go 150mph, you don't. And having it limited would be stupid and restrictive. I don't want the restrictions, so I fly 1.08. Restricted or not, do the right thing when you fly. See the FAA fact sheet about UAS was released in January here:

http://www.faa.gov/news/fact_sheets/new ... wsId=14153

Model aircraft guidance circular:
http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/medi ... /91-57.pdf

If your going to fly over a large, populated area or somewhere that there are security concerns (Manhatten, DC), please speak with authorities first. These things crash and fail/fall significantly. They are not safe enough to do so without engine redundancy and control redundancy. I don't want one falling on a 3 year old.

I am a licensed pilot as well as a HUGE phantom fan & pilot. Small aircraft (including ultralights without a cockpit) can fly in class G airspace (0-700 feet uncontrolled airspace) regularly, the same airspace we fly our phantoms in. If one of our phantoms gets smacked by a Cessna going 110 knots or an ultralight pilot doing 60 knots, the results could be disastrous and deadly. You will have damaged property and possibly killed someone, along with our awesome hobby. If you don't think a Phantom can hurt a plane, your wrong. I've seen small aircraft brought down by a bird-strike with a seagull.

I have my firmware set on a maximum altitude of 121 meters (400 feet). If my phantom is ever involved in a collision, the firmware will prove I was within the FAA guidelines. I also maintain LOS (line of sight) at all times. If I am flying FPV, I have a spotter maintaining LOS for me. I stay away from people. I don't loiter over private houses without speaking to the owners beforehand. I don't sell my videos (though I should be able to). Lastly, I try and do no harm.

The NAZA flight controllers are awesome, but they are not FAA certified and could fail at any time. So are the DJI motors. An out of control Phantom coming down onto a highway and causing a traffic accident or into a crowd of school children is not unimaginable (see all the flyaway videos). Cities are not the place to fly these things. If you do, you are taking a lot of risk; you will be liable for the damage or injuries you cause, and you will have given our hobby a BIG black eye.

If you want to go higher, I suggest three things to be as safe as possible: a spotter looking for other aircraft, a call to local flight controllers to let them know where and when you will be operating (skydivers do this all the time) and have a transceiver capable of transmitting on UNICOM or MULTICOM (122.700 mHz/ 122.900 MHz) to announce your intentions while you are flying. You can speak to the pilots at your nearest airport and find out what frequency they commonly monitor. I recommend a Yaesu FTA-230 available here: http://www.sportys.com/PilotShop/product/17733

One day, a really cheap ADS-B transponder will be available, along with a logic board to avoid other aircraft with ADS-B transponders. Until then, you are flying blind and a danger to airmen if you bust 400 feet or go out of LOS. Period. Just because my car can go 170mph, it doesn't mean I drive at 170mph. While my Phantom can reach 2000 feet, it doesn't mean I'll ever fly it that high. Those idiots flying through solid overcast on YouTube are going to kill someone.

Whatever firmware you use, don't be stupid..

This is a great post and people should take it seriously. However, I would recommend flying at no earlier a firmware than 2.0. That does not have the airport restriction (which I do not think are bad) but it does have added protection to help prevent fly-a-ways. Frankly, DJI needs to figure out why some of these quadcopters are powering off in mid flight and just falling from the sky... that would instill much more confidence in the machine above people.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl