Does the P3A in backpack case fit in airlines overhead compartment?

Reaction score
I have this case: Amazon.com: Koozam NEW DJI Phantom 3 Weather Proof Extra Light Backpack Bag Case designed to fit the Phantom 3 Professional, Advanced, and Standard Edition Drone's Fits other DJI Models and Accessories + Tablets (With Additional Pockets and Protection): Camera & Photo

Has anyone with this case or one like it been able to fit it ok in the overhead compartment of a commercial airline plane? Based on the dimensions I measure vs those the airlines says is a max size carry-on, it's a little too tall (when laying flat) by about 2". But when I look at it, it doesn't appear to be bigger than other carry-ons I see others having on planes.

I don't want to arrive at the airport and find out it doesn't fit overhead as a carry-on.

On full size I would say yes. I use a huge hard case and it fits. If you have any connecting flight on smaller aircraft you may have to gate check it.

Reactions: teaman
The DJI Phantom 3 backpack (the package deal) fits easily in the overhead bin!
So you believe that the airlines won't squawk about the posted dimensions and how my pack is off by 2" in one dimension? I agree it should fit the overheads but wouldn't want them to mandate their posted dimensions. I'm less on length so cubic size, I'm under their limit, just off on one of the dimensions.

On full size I would say yes. I use a huge hard case and it fits. If you have any connecting flight on smaller aircraft you may have to gate check it.
Thanks for the response. I won't be on smaller craft, an Alaska Air flight both ways.

Let us know...I read the same thing my last before my last trip and kept it at home. I travel a lot but don't usually fly, therefore not always a problem. I use the Drone Crates backpack and its about 2in off on one dimension but then seen carryons way bigger I thought.

I just flew from Albany, NY to Veto Beach, FL. I called TSA before I left to ask about any issues I might encounter. The guy knew exactly what I was referring to when I said quadcopter. He said no issues checking or carrying. I carried both ways. When I left Albany I had zero issues whatsoever. When I left Vero to come home they pulled my bag aside and swabbed the contents. The woman said, "That one of those flying things? Don't see those around here. I assume that the battery for it but I need to check it". Neither plane was big...125 passenger or something like that. Fits with room to spare. Remember you need to take the bird itself out of the case and place it on a bin. I was told you need to treat it like any other electronic (By the TSA). I Left the RC and spare batteries in the case and left the other in the bird. I had them fully charged. I was, for whatever reason, nervous to fly with it. Worried about delays and such, not legality. After this trip I would say flying within the US is not an issue at all. I asked everyone I could that was involved with the airlines and no one even baulked. They're not illegal and not a problem as far as they can see. Have fun. EDIT- Anyone that flies sees what people carry on. Big bags. They don't say anything unless it literally won't fit, in which case they'll gate check it for free. And the dji backpack clears the overhead compartment by 2 or 3 inches in height and 6 or more depth.

I just flew Southwest Airlines from Kansas City to LA, then LA to Phoenix with no problems. My bag is a DJI knockoff. I had the three batteries at 50% and in Lipo bags. I put the bag fully zipped on the x-ray table. They just forward/backward/forward it on the conveyor belt and no problems. No one even opened it up to look at my precautions of discharged batteries and Lipo bags.

Let us know...I read the same thing my last before my last trip and kept it at home. I travel a lot but don't usually fly, therefore not always a problem. I use the Drone Crates backpack and its about 2in off on one dimension but then seen carryons way bigger I thought.

I had no problem on my short flight from PDX to SEA yesterday and no problem going from SEA to LIU. Both flights were on variations of the Boeing 737. So, Alaska's height (laying flat) requirement of 10" is off. No one checked my size and it fit in the overhead but with not much to spare.

Security was no problem. I didn't see what they did at the scanner machine but it went through without questions.

I just flew from Albany, NY to Veto Beach, FL. I called TSA before I left to ask about any issues I might encounter. The guy knew exactly what I was referring to when I said quadcopter. He said no issues checking or carrying. I carried both ways. When I left Albany I had zero issues whatsoever. When I left Vero to come home they pulled my bag aside and swabbed the contents. The woman said, "That one of those flying things? Don't see those around here. I assume that the battery for it but I need to check it". Neither plane was big...125 passenger or something like that. Fits with room to spare. Remember you need to take the bird itself out of the case and place it on a bin. I was told you need to treat it like any other electronic (By the TSA). I Left the RC and spare batteries in the case and left the other in the bird. I had them fully charged. I was, for whatever reason, nervous to fly with it. Worried about delays and such, not legality. After this trip I would say flying within the US is not an issue at all. I asked everyone I could that was involved with the airlines and no one even baulked. They're not illegal and not a problem as far as they can see. Have fun. EDIT- Anyone that flies sees what people carry on. Big bags. They don't say anything unless it literally won't fit, in which case they'll gate check it for free. And the dji backpack clears the overhead compartment by 2 or 3 inches in height and 6 or more depth.
I've made about 8 flights in the last 7 months with my P3P using the Chinese Cheapy backpack. I've never had to open the backpack at TSA security. I think they just wanted to see that cool looking drone you had! :D

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl