Does anyone else feel lost here?

Jezabel said:

To improve the search feature would also help to cut down repetitive threads and information.

I also have valued the "problem-solving and show the evidence" stance of this forum. Whenever some topics become qualitative and subjective then there is a tendency to be "opinionated" and sometimes "alienating". Perhaps the mods can continue to encourage folks supplying the data/facts associated with their question as opposed to their opinion or their own interpretation so that others can contribute their expertise in problem solving. It also is not helpful to just send a person to the manual for the answer because it may be that they misinterpreted the language in the manual in the first place and need a real-world application of their issue (and I believe the manuals are very poorly done for someone new to this hobby). Checking their understanding of what they are doing is very helpful in case some step has been missed,etc.

+1

The Search function could certainly be better, however, with a bit of effort, the Advanced Search function can improve results (perhaps a help to those looking into improving the Basic Search function). By way of example, here are the numbers of results based on what a new pilot might search for ...

Two observations
* Using Advanced Search can significantly narrow the results one gets. Perhaps defaulting the Basic Search to Topic Title only with an obvious check box for searching all text would be an improvement.
* Both Basic and Advanced searches are overly aggressive at categorizing some words as too common. Is this an algorithm or word list? Can it be modified?

Attachments

• srchrslt.jpg
    srchrslt.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 490
Shrimpfarmer said:
Good observation Visioneer. Cracking the search problem is THE change that could transform the forum.
Frequently I google something and the answer points me to the threads on this forum.

Please provide a dedicated 'home' for the phantom 1. I see there is a P2 vision plus category. So things can be done swiftly when the mind is put to it.

Ozzyguy said:
Please provide a dedicated 'home' for the phantom 1. I see there is a P2 vision plus category. So things can be done swiftly when the mind is put to it.

Agreed. I use the general discussion for covering the phantom 1. When this forum was rolled out, general discussion did cover the phantom 1, but with all these extra versions out a dedicated 1 slot became lost.

Would love the Private Message function to work for new members.
I sent a PM this evening and it's sitting in my Outbox.
I. Went to members's profile and clicked on "Send Private Message"
2. Wrote message and put in subject line.
3. Clicked Submit.
4. Message sitting in Outbox.

Suggest that the Help area be for items not related to the Phantom.

Thanks.

FLGulf said:
Would love the Private Message function to work for new members.
I sent a PM this evening and it's sitting in my Outbox.
I. Went to Diesel's profile and clicked on "Send Private Message"
2. Wrote message and put in subject line.
3. Clicked Submit.
4. Message sitting in Outbox.

Suggest that the Help area be for items not related to the Phantom.

Thanks.

The message always sits in your outbox until it's read by the recipient. As long as you have at least 5 posts you have the ability to PM...just not to force the other party to read it ;)

I'm curious what you mean by the other comment...what specifically are you suggesting the help area be used for?

Thanks for the clarification and humor.
I'm curious what you mean by the other comment...what specifically are you suggesting the help area be used for?
When I had this question about PM, I didn't know where to ask it. The first logical place was the HELP area, but the sentence below it asked if I had trouble with my Phantom. Then I did a search and found one post that was relevant. Followed the step-by-step. But there was no mention of the Outbox. So I asked my question under this topic and you answered right away. The board works and everything is great the way it is.

FLGulf said:
Thanks for the clarification and humor.
When I had this question about PM, I didn't know where to ask it. The first logical place was the HELP area, but the sentence below it asked if I had trouble with my Phantom. Then I did a search and found one post that was relevant. Followed the step-by-step. But there was no mention of the Outbox. So I asked my question under this topic and you answered right away. The board works and everything is great the way it is.

Ahh ok, I gotcha now. I think you'll soon be seeing a Forum Help and Guidelines area for exactly what you're talking about, we're putting plans in place currently for that and other useful additions.

Shrimpfarmer said:
Good observation Visioneer. Cracking the search problem is THE change that could transform the forum.
+1. I actually think that is going to be the key for success overall. I've tried searching myself within the forum. It's a prominent waste of time. Much better luck with google, but with google you run the risk if steering to another site. That leads me to my next point. The site needs advertisement and vendors. It keeps interest and pays for bandwidth. Stickys are a novel idea but let's face it guys...sticky generally are closed and quickly become outdated which prompts users to post repetitive questions under duress. I know I personally have posted questions that I'm sure have been posted. If I have bothered or offended anyone, I genuinely apologize. Genuinely. You guys have taught me tons and keep me interested. It thank you for this. Glad to see some positive affirmation here! Keep it going!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertising is the owners option. A great site can be had with or without ads. I personally hate them but having run forums & web sites I understand that free web sites are not really free.

As far as stickies go, the tentative plan is to have a discussion area along with each topic that will provide current info that will update the topic as needed.

Alright guys, mods in place, search is next. Be patient. After search will be some new anti-troll features.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z