Do you need to look at the aircraft or the device ?

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm a beginner and I have a a P3P. I have done some flights with it and i'm really happy of it.
But I wonder what's the best way to fly it safely, while getting nice shots.

If I'm looking at the aircraft, I'm abble to control it easily (if it doesn't go too far).
If I'm looking at the device on the remote, I can control the video and get the shots I want. But i'm affraid of not totally being in control of the aircraft and miss some obstacles that I don't see well on the video (high trees or power line).
And if I'm looking at both, time to time, it's pretty hard to control it and figure what I'm doing.

Do you guys have some good tips for me to improve my skills ?

Thank you.

I scout the area first. This usually involves looking at Google Maps before hand and then spending a few minutes looking around where I will be flying. If I fly long distances I usually fly at around 300 feet as this helps to avoid most everything. After work I'm going to get some night photos of a large tree that is lit up. I'll go there during lunch and look around.

Take is slow and pay attention.

If you want the absolutely safest way, products like the Epson BT-200 let you view the aircraft and see your live view at the same time.

If you don't want to shell out the ~$500, I usually watch the aircraft, then when its time to get the 3-7 second money shot, I watch the live view, with periodic glances to the aircraft. As said above, check out the area before you fly and you will know your "danger zones". Remember: Trees don't move :)

I'd recommend a spotter at first, if not always. I happen to be married to one.

Reactions: dirkclod
Someone who will watch your back and your bird at all times.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl