Do most of you have insurance?

Reaction score
I have the P4P insured through State Farm for $30 a year. None on the Mavic. I lost my P4 twice, and the Pro once. Got them back all three times. First time was a malfunction. DJI send me a new P4, and I got to keep the old one. Second time a dog walker picked it up, while I was plotting it's path on a map. I posted a reward and he called me. Didn't want the reward either. The sun was on the screen, and I had a hard time seeing it. My error. The third time was with the P4P. It tried to land in the river at 13% battery. I panicked and flew it into the shore. We saw the battery first. It came out of the drone. The drone was in some brush. Having it insured gave me some piece of mine. It took us about three hours to find it. The amazing thing is the drones where never damaged. The P4/P4P are tough drone. I am extremely careful. I don't think the Mavic could take much abuse.

May I ask what the deductible is?

I lost my P4 twice, and the Pro once. Got them back all three times.

I am extremely careful.
No offense... but I think you should maintain the policy.

Usually its the same premium for a certain amount. I had heard that the minimum cost ($30-$60) buys up to $2000. So if if you insured $1000 in items it's $30. if you insure $2000 in items it's $30. You may want to check as you might be able to add more items and the premium would be the same.

Reactions: KentA and K Henry
Just keep in mind the State Farm policy mentioned here only covers hobby flights. It could vary by state, but I don't think it does. For commercial flights, you should get a commercial policy so you have liability insurance.

Reactions: K Henry
I have tried everything including calling agents licensed in Kalifornia and have their business in Nevada. They won't do it. I Don't know why! State Farm is a BIG NO GO in CA.

If you just need good basic hobby insurance, join AMA and you get insurance included. For Part 107, you can use Verifly for occasional use, or purchase a yearly policy from Global Aerospace.

No deducible, and no proof of lost. We also did my wife's camera, and lap top. The lap top was $40, and the camera $115. But that was for about $10K on the camera equipment. I have learned from my mistakes, and for $30 a year you can bet I will keep the insurance.

No deducible, and no proof of lost. We also did my wife's camera, and lap top. The lap top was $40, and the camera $115. But that was for about $10K on the camera equipment. I have learned from my mistakes, and for $30 a year you can bet I will keep the insurance.
Which insurance are you referring to?

Reactions: AnchorageAk
It is on our home owners policy. I also have the DJI insurance. But, you need a body for it. With SF I just have to tell them I lost the drone.

If you just need good basic hobby insurance, join AMA and you get insurance included. For Part 107, you can use Verifly for occasional use, or purchase a yearly policy from Global Aerospace.
What does AMA stand for? I'm wanting to look into this.

I have the P4P insured through State Farm for $30 a year. None on the Mavic. I lost my P4 twice, and the Pro once. Got them back all three times. First time was a malfunction. DJI send me a new P4, and I got to keep the old one. Second time a dog walker picked it up, while I was plotting it's path on a map. I posted a reward and he called me. Didn't want the reward either. The sun was on the screen, and I had a hard time seeing it. My error. The third time was with the P4P. It tried to land in the river at 13% battery. I panicked and flew it into the shore. We saw the battery first. It came out of the drone. The drone was in some brush. Having it insured gave me some piece of mine. It took us about three hours to find it. The amazing thing is the drones where never damaged. The P4/P4P are tough drone. I am extremely careful. I don't think the Mavic could take much abuse.
I just called Nationwide, my home owners policy, I'm covered!!

Don't home owners policy coverages only cover the item if it's damaged/destroyed while in the home (and not out flying around at some other location)?

Don't home owners policy coverages only cover the item if it's damaged/destroyed while in the home (and not out flying around at some other location)?
I think you are correct. There are only a handful of companies that will cover a drone for hobbyist flying. While most home owners policy will cover theft and damage, it's the same coverage that would apply to your TV and there is probably a deductible.

Just keep in mind the State Farm policy mentioned here only covers hobby flights. It could vary by state, but I don't think it does. For commercial flights, you should get a commercial policy so you have liability insurance.

The policy being discussed from SF is a policy that address damage to the Phantom only, it's not a liability policy. Two completely different things.

As mentioned above, the thread is talking about 1st party coverage for damage to drone itself. The AMA is not offering this type of insurance. They offer liability coverage.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164