Do I still need a pilots license for 333 exemption?

Reaction score
I was doing some real estate acreages for very little money-I just wanted to make enough money to pay for my two drones and extra's (batteries, case, props) and along comes some dude that knows a little bit about drones and asks me if I have my commercial UAV license. At first I plead ignorance (which isn't hard for me) than I went up to his house and had a conversation with him.

Kinda led me to look into it again. The 333 exemption is easy but it sounds like it could cost upwards of $5k for a pilots license. I can't afford the pilots license so I was wondering if I should still file for the exemption and maybe by the time I get that (120 days) the FAA will make it easier and not require us to have the pilots license?

Are the guys in suits really going to come after me for doing a couple real estate videos? I would think they'd have bigger fish to fry......

Yes. All 333 exemptions approved so far have this requirement.

I was doing some real estate acreages for very little money-I just wanted to make enough money to pay for my two drones and extra's (batteries, case, props) and along comes some dude that knows a little bit about drones and asks me if I have my commercial UAV license. At first I plead ignorance (which isn't hard for me) than I went up to his house and had a conversation with him.

Kinda led me to look into it again. The 333 exemption is easy but it sounds like it could cost upwards of $5k for a pilots license. I can't afford the pilots license so I was wondering if I should still file for the exemption and maybe by the time I get that (120 days) the FAA will make it easier and not require us to have the pilots license?

Are the guys in suits really going to come after me for doing a couple real estate videos? I would think they'd have bigger fish to fry......
My thoughts are to apply for the 333 exemption and register with FAA and get an N# - (a number assigned by FAA - tail # on an airplane I believe) you will spend some time and $5 (if you let FAA give you the N#) or $10 (if you want to make up a number) - then you will have those two things out of the way - if the suits decide to keep the pilots requirement - enjoy hoppy photography - I want to use my drone for the same purposes but I an not spending thousands for a pilots certificate - no good return on investment and i have no intention of flying an airplane - just my thought - that and a few bucks gets you a cup of coffee at starbucks

That's where I was kinda going with my questions. Apply for the exemption and perhaps in the near future they will do away with the pilots requirement.

That's where I was kinda going with my questions. Apply for the exemption and perhaps in the near future they will do away with the pilots requirement.
One can hope - i don't think model aircraft folks have to have a pilot certificate so when should a drone owner

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl