DO I need these!?

I will buy a back pack.. should I use them lol
If you actually do some serious backpacking these will be a good idea, but only on long hikes. I ruined a backpack on a short 4 mile hike up a mountain in Colorado. Those motors can chew up things on rough trails. I'll be buying a set of these I think, should help. It's only $8.

Here's what I was thinking:

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

It's just a simple cylinder that slides over the threaded part of the motor. I'm wondering if I should put a few threads inside of it to allow it to be screwed on top of the motor. If the backpack is going to be rubbing against it a lot, it could pop off.

Reactions: NepenthesLucas
Yep -- they are similar to what the OP posted:

motor_caps_1024x1024.jpg

I like them, I may get a set. I have the DJI backpack, the large soft one and I am worried about the inner padding getting worn where the motor shafts sit on the cloth interior. They would prevent this from happening.

dji-1.jpg
I can see your point however it will raise the height of the motor so when you close up the back pack there will be more downward pressure on each arm. If you see what I mean. :)

So they came in the other day and work great, no additional height (unless you count a mm or 2 for the plastic thickness. Smooth sliding in and out of the pack.

The pop cap method is interesting but doesn't solve my particular issue as the threads still poke through. No real need to keep the motor covered as they are pretty much bullet proof. Cheap insurance.

I have a standard Mountain Hardware backpack I've used for hiking for years. I had some foam left over from the MTM case I have, cut it to size, but it doesn't have a lot of padding on the top of the bird. These help protect the motors and threads.

Well I found them and thought: "Well I don;t want to get any dust in the coils"! But should I really worry?

Not so much a question of "need" but more of "want" - if you leave your Phantom on a bench/counter/table when not flying.........and no props on.........nothing wrong with a little extra protection for the motors. Best to watch for any condensation under those little "domes" - depending on where it is stored and those caps aren't put on when the motors are warm. A couple of 'breathing holes" put in them won't affect their integrity nor the intent (unlike a condom - LOL).

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl