Dji stopped producing P3-P34K!

Reaction score
Today DJI stopped manufacturing the phantom 3: 4k, 3a, and 3p. The only survivor is the standard. This is common for companies to do as with Apple and not producing the ipad mini 3 when the 4 came out. Any thoughts?

There are still many of these Phantoms available via Amazon/eBay here. DJI is still selling them from the DJI Store via eBay.

I saw that they may be discontinuing the Phantom 4 on their forum too. Only 10 months and Buh-Bye P4. Looks like the cellphone upgrade model is coming to the drone world.

I don't know what's up with them, but it seems they need more of a manufacturing line, i.e. hire more people to assemble them, as the Mavic has been stalled to the stores so many months they may as well announce a Mavic 2 coming out. Apple is now March 29th for the Mavic on the Apple website and this back-order scenario has been going on with them for 6 months. Four more months and it might be Mavic 2 time if they follow the P4 timeline. If reluctant to hire more and boost the line, there may be some financial issues coming along. Buying Hasselblad might be part of it too.

I've also wondered about the drone hype last Xmas and if it was "Fake News" too by marketing and it went viral. If "Drones Plus" shuttered all their retail storefronts around the USA, something is going on. Maybe all these restrictions and outright hate of drones by the general public and lawmakers is part of it too. "Can't fly here. I'll shoot it down. My yard. So many rules and confusion. Etc." Not necessarily a drone friendly world.

I posted this in another thread:

This news has been way overblown. Let's look at the release history of the Phantom line, per Wikipedia:

Phantom 1: January 2013
Phantom 2: December 2013 (11 months later)
Phantom 3: April 2015 (16 months after Phantom 2)
Phantom 4: March 2016 (11 months after Phantom 3)

If DJI is keeping with its release pattern, it's going to be much like Apple with the iPhone. You can bet on a new model every year. At least you can plan on it.

It's late January. I suspect the reason the Phantom 4 is out of production is that DJI knows how many they have in stock compared with how many they're selling every month, compared with when they plan to release a new model. No need to keep building it if they have a few hundred thousand already produced and they plan to release a new model in a couple of months.

I also suspect, like the Phantom 3, there are plenty of unsold 4s that will be discounted until they're gone. Look for some good Phantom 4 sales on Black Friday in 10 months.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing