DJI service or replace motor myself?

Fix the bird myself?

• No, Don't be dumb, send it back!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
As the thread title is pretty clear.

I'm VERY familiar with small electronics repair having replaced numerous cell phone, and laptop screens and main boards.

My concern is this:

DJI will get the bird and send it back claiming there's no issue and i'm without my P4 for almost a month with nothing fixed.

I have mixed feelings about the motor. When the blades are off there's barely a perceptible change in the magnetic resistance of the motor poles. It doesn't feel like bad bearings. There's no grinding feeling or "looseness" to the motor. My issue is that if this IS a problem and I keep this motor on the bird and it fails mid flight there's no recovering from the loss of the motor. That's it. Bird down. PERIOD.

I can purchase the motor for the P4 for 18 bucks and replace it myself. HOWEVER, obviously if something else unrelated to my motor replacement goes wrong DJI will refuse the warranty if they can prove that I meddled with the bird.

What to do ? Recommendations? Should I send her in and be patient or would it be OK to do my own repair?
I'm confident that I can pull it off myself without hurting the bird.

DJI has provided a shipping label to send her in, so there's no cost associated with going with DJI.

I would send it to DJI, when I sent them mine, they found an issue with one of my motors that I wasn't even aware of and replaced it.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I've decided to send it in. I'll report back on the time frame for service so fellow pilots can have an idea of the service time frame.

My case is lonley already
547f644ee217fe58e0e61f66905be5d1.jpg

Sent from my VS987 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan