DJI Phantom 4 Pro & 2 huge military planes close fly by

Based on your earlier posts it appeared you didn't know where you were flying or what restrictions may have been in place but thats great that you do always check. Very important part of any aviation activity.

Based on your earlier posts it appeared you didn't know where you were flying or what restrictions may have been in place but thats great that you do always check. Very important part of any aviation activity.
Believe me I knew where I was flying at but other people were curious so I conformed and gave them the location. Instead of arguing with them I'd rather just let them check for them selves. I know all the areas around here. I have all the correct apps and websites. I have the phone numbers to all the local airports and military bases. I'm not a clueless pilot. I'm probably one of the safest flyers out there. That's why the incident with the planes shocked me so much. I appreciate the advice. I believe even if you think you know everything there is about this hobby there is always something to still learn

I would title this "My new P4P gets a military flyby !" or " Military approves my P4P and gives me a flyby!"
I too think the title should be toned down and be a bit less sensational...I'm sure it's good click bait as it is but not quite accurate as has been pointed out...

Wow this footage is simply astounding on my p27q15 monitor! What a good sales pitch for the P4 Pro, nice job!

Reactions: KingDad1985
I'd have flown back up after they passed, turned around and got footage of them flying away. In the moment, that may have not occurred to you, but, should you get another opportunity...

Reactions: KingDad1985
I was flying in a safe area 350-400' just looking around, and a Cessna came out of nowhere at about 250-300 feet...
flew underneath me and disappeared over the hills. I quickly landed and went for a change of underwear

I'd have flown back up after they passed, turned around and got footage of them flying away. In the moment, that may have not occurred to you, but, should you get another opportunity...
I should of! ****. I was shaking , yelling at my wife who was flying her P4 a little way down the road! Unfortunately she wasn't recoding at the time. She was 400 ft up. Her video would of been alot closer

Wow this footage is simply astounding on my p27q15 monitor! What a good sales pitch for the P4 Pro, nice job!
It's one of my more memorable trips. Everyone loves it. I think Ivery probably helped dji sell at least 5 phantoms

I was flying in a safe area 350-400' just looking around, and a Cessna came out of nowhere at about 250-300 feet...
flew underneath me and disappeared over the hills. I quickly landed and went for a change of underwear
It's very scary! Good thing my instinct kicked in correctly

I've seen some crazy dangerous flying by commercial aviation over the years. About a decade ago I hiked out to the Wahweap Hoodoo's in southern Utah and about noon time I heard a sound then turned around to see a plane, perhaps about 10 passenger, flying low down the Wahweap Creak at maybe 100 feet AGL. Not an hour later a helicopter landed right near the famous formation and a crewman got out to take a few pictures. I was unable to get any pics of the plane as it was there and gone too quickly, but I do have picks of the copter landing.

The bottom line is the rules apply to drones but apparently not to other sectors of aviation...

Brian

I've seen some crazy dangerous flying by commercial aviation over the years. About a decade ago I hiked out to the Wahweap Hoodoo's in southern Utah and about noon time I heard a sound then turned around to see a plane, perhaps about 10 passenger, flying low down the Wahweap Creak at maybe 100 feet AGL. Not an hour later a helicopter landed right near the famous formation and a crewman got out to take a few pictures. I was unable to get any pics of the plane as it was there and gone too quickly, but I do have picks of the copter landing.

The bottom line is the rules apply to drones but apparently not to other sectors of aviation...

Brian
They do what the want

They do what the want
There's a lot of misunderstanding about what the rules are.
If you think that planes have to stay above 500 feet, you need to look at what their rules are.
There are many situations where planes and helicopters can legally fly below 500 feet.
Pay particular attention to C & D

§ 91.119 Minimum safe altitudes: General.
Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:
(a) Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.
(b) Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.
(c) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.
(d) Helicopters, powered parachutes, and weight-shift-control aircraft. If the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface—
(1) A helicopter may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (b) or (c) of this section, provided each person operating the helicopter complies with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the FAA

Come on guys he was no where near those aircraft. Might appear close but that only due to the size of those aircraft. Yes they were low-ish but I don't they they were "hot dogging".

There's a lot of misunderstanding about what the rules are.
If you think that planes have to stay above 500 feet, you need to look at what their rules are.
There are many situations where planes and helicopters can legally fly below 500 feet.
Pay particular attention to C & D

§ 91.119 Minimum safe altitudes: General.
Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:
(a) Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.
(b) Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.
(c) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.
(d) Helicopters, powered parachutes, and weight-shift-control aircraft. If the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface—
(1) A helicopter may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (b) or (c) of this section, provided each person operating the helicopter complies with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the FAA

Well there's legal rules and there's rule to live or die by. Flying a 10 passenger plane at about 125mph or faster at about 100AGL, even in a sparely populated area, while legally permissible is practically stupid. If the copter I mentioned had landed, legally, in the dry creak bed and was unseen by the plane behind a tree, the copter might take off and climb right into the speeding plane with no altitude or time to do anything. It may be legal to use cruise control in your RV, but setting it on cruise then going back to the kitchen to have lunch with your wife while driving probably isn't the smartest thing to do.

And, with the rise in drone use it's just a matter of time before some hotshot in a plane or helicopter, flying low and fast, runs into a drone flying legally below 400 feet. Who gets the blame? Eventually the pilot of the plane or copter will be blamed but the press will run with the first story about a drone being the culprit.

Brian

I should of! ****. I was shaking , yelling at my wife who was flying her P4 a little way down the road! Unfortunately she wasn't recoding at the time. She was 400 ft up. Her video would of been alot closer

Aw man!?

I've had those moments, too... It takes a few moments to get your bearings after that kind of event. It's tough to get back on track afterward.

You played it well. Food for thought for the next chance.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka