DJI Phantom 3 Revealed!

Which Phantom 3 version is the best value?

• Total voters
Aw man I really really tried to read all your rant but you just come off as a crazy loony. I think maybe you should have done a bit more research and good luck with going professional, now go get yourself some scooby snacks. People like to help around here but please keep your insane soap box rants to yourself or at least to 2 sentences.
what we got here is just a slip of da keys !.png

Aw man I really really tried to read all your rant but you just come off as a crazy loony. I think maybe you should have done a bit more research and good luck with going professional, now go get yourself some scooby snacks. People like to help around here but please keep your insane soap box rants to yourself or at least to 2 sentences.
Lmao[emoji13]

Whats your problem?.. it seems clearly that delusion must be part of your persona, cause if you "really, really" tried to read what I wrote, it wouldn't had take you that much of an effort... and in the worst case scenario.. when you see the length of it, you can just jump over it! Who would care?

Now.. if you at least did try to read "my rant" you wouldn't answer what you did..

This thread is a "conversation" of the new released Phantom 3, not an asking for help and giving answers.. its my view, and that in a "conversation" is called a two way communication.. and with the wonders of the internet, you decide if reading it will be worthy for you or not.

Dunno why you need to be condescending at all!..

[emoji13]<----Enter popcorn eating smiley here.. By all means, it's a friggin toy[emoji23]! Keep it Real, WOW.. Sarcasm and fun Welcome lol

Reactions: lake_flyer
Beni, you will have a lot of fun with your purchase and some great places to fly.

I don't think that DJI have discontinued the 2 with gimbal and Gopro, and you will still be able to expand it to add on Groundstation for example that allows you to fly Waypoints. DJI will continue to sell components to make your quad the way you like it.

I don't personally like the new features on the Phantom 3, I don't want instant streaming to Youtube, HD video downlink or the ability to fly indoors, but I respect that DJI is innovative and will keep developing the RTF market. I just feel that we are getting to the stage where we will be able pick and choose exactly what we want in our quad copter, and for me that is always going to include the latest in photo technology.

Reactions: Beni
Whats your problem?.. it seems clearly that delusion must be part of your persona, cause if you "really, really" tried to read what I wrote, it wouldn't had take you that much of an effort... and in the worst case scenario.. when you see the length of it, you can just jump over it! Who would care?

Now.. if you at least did try to read "my rant" you wouldn't answer what you did..

This thread is a "conversation" of the new released Phantom 3, not an asking for help and giving answers.. its my view, and that in a "conversation" is called a two way communication.. and with the wonders of the internet, you decide if reading it will be worthy for you or not.

Dunno why you need to be condescending at all!..

I think what's happening here is a form of miscommunication.
Sure, we all do speak English. But some do it all their lives as a native American, British, Irish, Australian etc.
They have a way of saying things that allow the reader to read between the lines, they can soften things up with the right nuances, and make you smile while at the same time, realising what they mean with it.

For us, non native English trying-to-speakers, it is really, I mean really, hard to compete with that. I will never get a lot of 'likes' (see if I care), because I just don't know how to touch the native English speakers snares the right way. Maybe, the way I say things, sometimes even offend typical native speakers, simply because in my language, it is common to put things quite bluntly and clear. Speaking Dutch, I don't have many nuances to choose from, and only about half the number of verbs, compared to English, in our vocabulary. English is a very beautiful and rich language, I'm jealous.

I though you had some valid points by the way. And I understand your feelings.
Progression is unavoidable and not always comes at the right moment for everybody. I have the same kind of feeling I got when I just purchased my Nikon F100 and only weeks later the first digital Nikon SLR came to market. And I knew right then it would generally render the film SLR eventually to useless.

That said, my P2 and FC40 will happily continue to fly many hours with the current setup and I am sure, there will be new after market products someday, based on these new technologies, that we can use for our P's.

Reactions: Beni and Reoscorpio
Personally i'm torn. Saw a few vids from some photographer that was posted elsewhere on the forums who flew the P3 around San Fransisco and he commented that there is no stepped change in the exposure like you get on the P2V+, and the footage seemed much better quality. I was all set to grab a set of Epson Moverio FPV glasses for my P2V+ (fitted with fpvlr stage 2) till I saw that. Hmmmm......

@Beni I didnt have time to read your whole post, but my eye caught the part about not supporting Zenmuse/GoPro. First off, this may be a feature as 1 DJI spokesperson said "The only thing we're announcing is the Phantom 3 Professional and the Phantom 3 Advanced. As you can probably tell by the name there's scope for more."

This implies that there will be other versions. I however think it would be a bad move on the part of DJI to make another Zenmuse for the Phantom. GoPro has said they are developing a drone, so why feed capital into a competitor via sales of their cameras?

Anyways, just a few thought for you. Welcome to the forum :)

they would be at serious risk of pissing of a lot of go pro customers who may just give their drone money to go pro

Who would ever need more than 64k of memory? What would anyone need this mouse thing?

Now thats just stupid and has nothing to do what I was talking about. The P3 is a hobby type flyer. 90% of that people flying it will probably shoot in 1080 because of the large and larger files for 4K and 8K down the road.

For us, non native English trying-to-speakers, it is really, I mean really, hard to compete with that. I will never get a lot of 'likes' (see if I care), because I just don't know how to touch the native English speakers snares the right way. Maybe, the way I say things, sometimes even offend typical native speakers, simply because in my language, it is common to put things quite bluntly and clear. Speaking Dutch, I don't have many nuances to choose from, and only about half the number of verbs, compared to English, in our vocabulary. English is a very beautiful and rich language, I'm jealous.

lake_flyer, one of my favorite things about this forum is it's Global nature! I read with interest the commentary of a fellow flyer who is not well-versed in English, and I'm never critical of their English because I am monolingual, while many of you speak multiple languages.

Anyway, while I have a P3P on order, I'm keeping my +V3 so I have something to fly for the next 6 weeks or so. I'll make the decision to cancel or keep my order later - besides, videography is not my strength so I can use the extra practice time...

...and I will probably mostly shoot in 1080p/60 rather than 4k, although I am interested to see how different the videos look when compared to my +V3. I have convinced myself that I am future-proofing by going with the P3P.

...and I will probably mostly shoot in 1080p/60 rather than 4k, although I am interested to see how different the videos look when compared to my +V3. I have convinced myself that I am future-proofing by going with the P3P.

If I remember right P2V+ did 1080i/60fps. I hope the new ones do 1080p/60fps.
It's a pain to work with interlaced frames.

The P2V+ camera shoots in 1080p30 & 720p, while the P3 shoots video in the following modes:
  • UHD: 4096x2160p 24/25, 3840x2160p 24/25/30
  • FHD: 1920x1080p 24/25/30/48/50/60
  • HD: 1280x720p 24/25/30/48/50/60

Reactions: Beni and Kasra A
Hi there! (this is my first post in this forum)

I saw the live event of dji, and 2 things came into my mind!

1. Apple!! XD.. haha, the statement --> its been completely redesigned from the ground-up.. <-- really?.. it looks just the same to me! :S

2. They are screwing with me (and the rest of us!)... and thats very bad politics for a company we all "should" love!

Now, to a more specific... yes Im angry in a way.. why?.. because I have in front of me a Phantom 2 + Zenmuse H3-3D unopened! got it 2 weeks ago, and I was waiting to receive the entire equipment (gopro hero 4 black, lilliput 339/dw, immersionrc 600mw, mini iosd, flytrex core 2 and some minor pieces), then a black matte paint spray can + carbon fiber vinyl. All this to be ready for amazing aerial cinematography around the world, cause Im traveling around for a year... starting in October.

ok, so.. I was already a bit sad because I ended up getting "the old" or v1 of the phantom 2.. (the one with old motors, old esc's, and old remote (with 4xAA batteries), but with the zenmuse h3-3d, I got it for $618 usd. (new) and thats a great deal, comparing it to its normal price on other stores in my country (norway), the same p2+h3-3d is $950 usd. @ the cheapest website! (heck.. only the h3-3d gimbal is $385 usd., so technically I ended paying just $233 for the phantom 2).

but.. didn't opened it, and was thinking a lot about doing a swap for the v2 (newer motors, newer esc's and newer remote with lipo battery), I started ordering the rest of the stuff I needed, as this would be useful no matter what I ended up with.

Then the 2 days before the live event, I noticed that dji website had this count-down and that smelled like something new was on its way, so I thought.. great!.. maybe I swap it for a phantom 3 instead or maybe upgrade esc's and motors that come in the 3.. (this is before knowing anything about it of course). But then 2 days after the fun ended!!

Needless to say, the event went for me as for many others, instead of being overwhelmed by "something new", I didn't know what to think!

because.. Im investing in a tool for my business, something I thought was going to give me not only something great to start with (yeah.. even with the phantom 2), but at the same time, something upgradable with the rest of my equipment. (or so I thought!.. I was thinking, that my gopro, fpv monitor, transmitter, etc.. where going to be moved into a future upgrade when that day came.. but now I learned that no!!.. no way jose!

F4ckT4rds!.. DJI "SHOULD" still have a Zenmuse/Gopro version, cause face it!.. its the best quality video recording out there!.. and we all know that in september/october the hero 4+ black is coming out, and that will most probably give us 4k in 60fps!.. maybe even 120fps!! so a swap would be in order! (I will see p3 owners sad again, because their footage its only at 30k and can't upgrade!!)

besides, dji been built thanks to gopro being there.. or they wouldn't had anything to make video!.., what about their "phantom-pilots" that are using the zenmuse and gopro already system already, its very bad politics to being so radically as to not giving a "naked" option, to still use with gopro and zm.

For those Inspire 1 owners.. oh boy!.. thats even worse, what the company did to you.. Im glad Im not in your shoes.. but at the same time "I wish I were" :p

See it like this.. i1 owners should be "professionals", and their quad should look like that too!.. its the same as being a pro photographer, and come to a job with a canon 550d.. hmm.. I prefer if you came with at least a 5d mark II, even if you do the same with it. So you paid a premium for your quad yes.. but rest in peace, your quad looks the shiznizzle ;)

Ok.. now to try to get to the point, and a closure ;)

I think I´ll keep the p2 (old v1 version), and get all the things I said.. why?..
1. because I will have a GoPro to do more things with.. and not have a fast mounted camera hanging on the quad, getting dusty, when bad weather or just dont feel for going out (to fly)
2. because I will have a great hd monitor (1280x800 IPS led) for my 5d mark II as a field monitor!
3. and I will have an immersionrc 600mw video-tx that I may use in another quad or plane in the future (for fun)

so.. basically thats it!

I can live without seing HD live streaming, or putting waypoints.. I will have more fun, and move around by heart (feeling & artistic input), and not points and coordinates. beside I still own an iPhone 4 and an iPad 2 so those devices haven't the newer bluetooth and are not supported! and I really dont need to upgrade.. at least not just yet! (have had the iphone for close to 5 years (since it came out) and the ipad 2 for about 4? (also since it came out), and they work just perfect for what they are!

So my ending note is that... I will start with what I got, learn to use it properly, try to make some amazing footage, and then start making money with it.. if plans goes well, in a 2 year frame I would be ready for an inspire 2 (or 3?).. that would be more than capable, even with 8k (who knows).. and despite the price, I would have something that says "Im a pro".. and not a little plasticky toy that any kid will have with a sticker that says "Professional".. even though still usable and that may be 90% like the real ****, but still.. it ain't!)

My recommendation to others?...

- if you already have a hero 3+ or hero 4, fpv monitor, and all that, and are thinking of becoming (or are already) a pro (make money out of your quad)... keep your p2 with that stuff! and save (with your income) for an inspire 2 or for the competition that's coming!

- if you just have it for fun, then keep what you got and have fun!.. if you dont have anything yet.. then get the Phantom 3 and enjoy you lucky bastard!

- if you are just rich or veeery pro.. maybe you should see at the top line of dji or other brands.. and get yourself a octocopter with a panasonic gh4.

and to dji.. you shouldn't had named them advanced or professional (and offer a joke of a videoclip mixer.. thats not even a video editing software), and live streaming to youtube?.. haha.. yes, very professional!!, instead should have kept it at Phantom 3 Vision and Vision+ that represent more what they are. And of course offered the "Phantom 3" for gopro and gimbal.

and do not copy Apple style for your events!.. really, its not the best way to go! you should know better!

oh.. and did I hear in the event.. "Mr. Bloom".. !PAUL! Bloom?? hahaha.. at least when he was done, they rectified to "Phillip Bloom" ;)

my 36 cents?

pd.. ok Im going to be nice with you, if you still are reading!.. check this vid out -->
Men you are absolutely right.I believe this company (DJI) its a waste of money.Before some months i payed for a phantom 2 with H3-3D , gopro and a lightbridge system almost 3500 usd,now the new phantom 3 maybe its better than my phantom 2 with the half money maybe less.

Here is my take on it....

No one should blame DJI for lowering the price on a better drone vs older drones they sold. That is just stupid.

My opinion on the choice of cameras... 1080 does look different then 4k. My laptop is 3k and I can see the difference. I've seen 4k monitors and you _can_ see the difference. 1080 looks good, but there is still a difference. 4k will become the norm and all video will end up being 4k. With that said, is it worth an extra $250? Tough call. I'd say if you opt for 1080 you are not making the wrong choice. I'd also recommend you think hard as to if you can afford 4k as it is a better choice. Don't need 4k now, shoot in 1080, it's that simple. Is saving $250 weights more for you, then 1080 is not a wrong choice.

I'd sell my Vision Plus today if I thought the P3 would not have many bugs. I'm sure it will. How does a company cram $2000 worth of hardware into a $1260 machine? My guess is that the transmitter and receiver are where the issues will be found. But I don't blame anyone for ordering early, more power to you! I'm sure you have considered that the P3 will have some bugs and it's still worth it to you.

How does a company cram $2000 worth of hardware into a $1260 machine?

My guess is that the transmitter and receiver are where the issues will be found..

1st you'd have to know what their operating margins are. Don't forget the economy of scale and the constant downward price pressure on mature(ing) technology. If they are reusing the Inspire architecture then that makes it all the more understandable.

Are you talking control Tx & Rx? If so the Tx and the Rx are probably the most mature items in the bird. Based on and compatible with Futaba FASST, the DESST protocol is the, if not one of the, best out there.

Step back and look beyond what the pieces may retail for separately cause it won't add up.

Here is my take on it....

No one should blame DJI for lowering the price on a better drone vs older drones they sold. That is just stupid.

My opinion on the choice of cameras... 1080 does look different then 4k. My laptop is 3k and I can see the difference. I've seen 4k monitors and you _can_ see the difference. 1080 looks good, but there is still a difference. 4k will become the norm and all video will end up being 4k. With that said, is it worth an extra $250? Tough call. I'd say if you opt for 1080 you are not making the wrong choice. I'd also recommend you think hard as to if you can afford 4k as it is a better choice. Don't need 4k now, shoot in 1080, it's that simple. Is saving $250 weights more for you, then 1080 is not a wrong choice.

I'd sell my Vision Plus today if I thought the P3 would not have many bugs. I'm sure it will. How does a company cram $2000 worth of hardware into a $1260 machine? My guess is that the transmitter and receiver are where the issues will be found. But I don't blame anyone for ordering early, more power to you! I'm sure you have considered that the P3 will have some bugs and it's still worth it to you.
What laptop do you have?Macbook pro 15 retina?

Step back and look beyond what the pieces may retail for separately cause it won't add up.

I am. If I were to price out the pieces it would be far more then $2000. Look at the other drones on the market right now and what they offer for $1260. It's far less then what the P3 offers. Don't get me wrong, I have no doubt that DJI has done a great job. I'm only saying that there seems to be a good possibility that they are cramming a lot of expensive hardware into an inexpensive device. Then look at DJI's history on new products.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT