DJI Phantom 3 Revealed!

Which Phantom 3 version is the best value?

• Total voters
No, resolution on its own isn't important. But if you have a good high resolution sensor, a good lens and a fast processor to give high fps and clear sharp video with a good dynamic range, you can zoom in on detail. Where weight is too important to squander on an optical zoom lens, that is important.

and why would you want to zoom a video/image if you could pilot your quad as close as posible to what you are shooting?

Flying with an 8K drone will be a reality in September/October 2015. That is when the Gopro 5 will be released.
It's not a matter of watching anything in 8K, it's a matter of taking native 8K material and being able to crop and end up with a good sharp 1080p video. Have you ever used any video stabilisation software like Mercalli, Deshaker or Adobe Premiere? That type of software smoothes out video by cropping the edges of the video off. You need a high resolution to start with if you do that.

Flying with an 8K drone will be a reality in September/October 2015. That is when the Gopro 5 will be released.
It's not a matter of watching anything in 8K, it's a matter of taking native 8K material and being able to crop and end up with a good sharp 1080p video. Have you ever used any video stabilisation software like Mercalli, Deshaker or Adobe Premiere? That type of software smoothes out video by cropping the edges of the video off. You need a high resolution to start with if you do that.

The file size for a 5-10 minute flight is going to be MASSIVE

Why is Lightbridge still $1400 doesn't make sense
Lightbridge system is still better than phantoms 3 and inspires lightbridge.It support full HD downlink 1920x1080 and has latency 80ms only.

This is it guys, the newest addition to the Dji Phantom line. The Phantom 3 Professional and the Phantom 3 Advanced are the new flagship models from DJI. Check out the DJI Live Event where they shared all the info on the DJI Phantom 3:

Please leave posts below about what feature you are most excited for on the Phantom 3 Advanced or Professional and if you will be buying one!

Jacob
Are any of my Phantom vision 2 parts usable with the 3?

The file size for a 5-10 minute flight is going to be MASSIVE
I would shoot 4K at 100fps, that should easily fit on a 128GB micro-SD. Might need to upgrade the SSD drives on the computer in order to edit the footage, but 1TB drives should be easily affordable by then.

I agree with the comments about 4k being overkill for the moment, given lack of 4K TV's and 1080p being the upper end of most web content today. Will it move to 4K? Undoubtedly, and within a year or two. That said, I don't think we will we be looking back in 2 years at 1080p content online and say "Ugh, looks like SD to me". I have shot some 4k on my P2+H4B, and I also use Mercalli for image stabilization, but I find the larger file sizes, slower editing and rendering times of 4K not worth it today relative to 1080p. The whole ecosystem -- meaning my laptop, storage, home TV, internet bandwidth, and video editors, and that of my typical viewers -- needs to step up a notch to make 4K a slam dunk for most amateur AP and low-end pro AP. I think we will get there, and I love watching technology march on, but the difference between 4K and 1K just doesn't rock my world today.

Kelly

1TB drives should be easily affordable by then.

At ~$80 USD today for a terabyte USB drive, aren't we already there? I consider these as nearly as disposable today as thumb drives a few years ago.

Kelly

At ~$80 USD today for a terabyte USB drive, aren't we already there? I consider these as nearly as disposable today as thumb drives a few years ago.

Kelly
Your hd may be larger for the same cost, but it is not much faster and will take forever to copy over terabytes of data.

Your hd may be larger for the same cost, but it is not much faster and will take forever to copy over terabytes of data.

I agree that roughly 4x the time to copy files from SD card to USB drive and laptop is not exciting, and not worth the marginal improvement in overall image quality.

Kelly

full
It looks like an illusion due to the moving shadows.

Hi there! (this is my first post in this forum)

I saw the live event of dji, and 2 things came into my mind!

1. Apple!! XD.. haha, the statement --> its been completely redesigned from the ground-up.. <-- really?.. it looks just the same to me! :S

2. They are screwing with me (and the rest of us!)... and thats very bad politics for a company we all "should" love!

Now, to a more specific... yes Im angry in a way.. why?.. because I have in front of me a Phantom 2 + Zenmuse H3-3D unopened! got it 2 weeks ago, and I was waiting to receive the entire equipment (gopro hero 4 black, lilliput 339/dw, immersionrc 600mw, mini iosd, flytrex core 2 and some minor pieces), then a black matte paint spray can + carbon fiber vinyl. All this to be ready for amazing aerial cinematography around the world, cause Im traveling around for a year... starting in October.

ok, so.. I was already a bit sad because I ended up getting "the old" or v1 of the phantom 2.. (the one with old motors, old esc's, and old remote (with 4xAA batteries), but with the zenmuse h3-3d, I got it for $618 usd. (new) and thats a great deal, comparing it to its normal price on other stores in my country (norway), the same p2+h3-3d is $950 usd. @ the cheapest website! (heck.. only the h3-3d gimbal is $385 usd., so technically I ended paying just $233 for the phantom 2).

but.. didn't opened it, and was thinking a lot about doing a swap for the v2 (newer motors, newer esc's and newer remote with lipo battery), I started ordering the rest of the stuff I needed, as this would be useful no matter what I ended up with.

Then the 2 days before the live event, I noticed that dji website had this count-down and that smelled like something new was on its way, so I thought.. great!.. maybe I swap it for a phantom 3 instead or maybe upgrade esc's and motors that come in the 3.. (this is before knowing anything about it of course). But then 2 days after the fun ended!!

Needless to say, the event went for me as for many others, instead of being overwhelmed by "something new", I didn't know what to think!

because.. Im investing in a tool for my business, something I thought was going to give me not only something great to start with (yeah.. even with the phantom 2), but at the same time, something upgradable with the rest of my equipment. (or so I thought!.. I was thinking, that my gopro, fpv monitor, transmitter, etc.. where going to be moved into a future upgrade when that day came.. but now I learned that no!!.. no way jose!

F4ckT4rds!.. DJI "SHOULD" still have a Zenmuse/Gopro version, cause face it!.. its the best quality video recording out there!.. and we all know that in september/october the hero 4+ black is coming out, and that will most probably give us 4k in 60fps!.. maybe even 120fps!! so a swap would be in order! (I will see p3 owners sad again, because their footage its only at 30k and can't upgrade!!)

besides, dji been built thanks to gopro being there.. or they wouldn't had anything to make video!.., what about their "phantom-pilots" that are using the zenmuse and gopro already system already, its very bad politics to being so radically as to not giving a "naked" option, to still use with gopro and zm.

For those Inspire 1 owners.. oh boy!.. thats even worse, what the company did to you.. Im glad Im not in your shoes.. but at the same time "I wish I were" :p

See it like this.. i1 owners should be "professionals", and their quad should look like that too!.. its the same as being a pro photographer, and come to a job with a canon 550d.. hmm.. I prefer if you came with at least a 5d mark II, even if you do the same with it. So you paid a premium for your quad yes.. but rest in peace, your quad looks the shiznizzle ;)

Ok.. now to try to get to the point, and a closure ;)

I think I´ll keep the p2 (old v1 version), and get all the things I said.. why?..
1. because I will have a GoPro to do more things with.. and not have a fast mounted camera hanging on the quad, getting dusty, when bad weather or just dont feel for going out (to fly)
2. because I will have a great hd monitor (1280x800 IPS led) for my 5d mark II as a field monitor!
3. and I will have an immersionrc 600mw video-tx that I may use in another quad or plane in the future (for fun)

so.. basically thats it!

I can live without seing HD live streaming, or putting waypoints.. I will have more fun, and move around by heart (feeling & artistic input), and not points and coordinates. beside I still own an iPhone 4 and an iPad 2 so those devices haven't the newer bluetooth and are not supported! and I really dont need to upgrade.. at least not just yet! (have had the iphone for close to 5 years (since it came out) and the ipad 2 for about 4? (also since it came out), and they work just perfect for what they are!

So my ending note is that... I will start with what I got, learn to use it properly, try to make some amazing footage, and then start making money with it.. if plans goes well, in a 2 year frame I would be ready for an inspire 2 (or 3?).. that would be more than capable, even with 8k (who knows).. and despite the price, I would have something that says "Im a pro".. and not a little plasticky toy that any kid will have with a sticker that says "Professional".. even though still usable and that may be 90% like the real ****, but still.. it ain't!)

My recommendation to others?...

- if you already have a hero 3+ or hero 4, fpv monitor, and all that, and are thinking of becoming (or are already) a pro (make money out of your quad)... keep your p2 with that stuff! and save (with your income) for an inspire 2 or for the competition that's coming!

- if you just have it for fun, then keep what you got and have fun!.. if you dont have anything yet.. then get the Phantom 3 and enjoy you lucky bastard!

- if you are just rich or veeery pro.. maybe you should see at the top line of dji or other brands.. and get yourself a octocopter with a panasonic gh4.

and to dji.. you shouldn't had named them advanced or professional (and offer a joke of a videoclip mixer.. thats not even a video editing software), and live streaming to youtube?.. haha.. yes, very professional!!, instead should have kept it at Phantom 3 Vision and Vision+ that represent more what they are. And of course offered the "Phantom 3" for gopro and gimbal.

and do not copy Apple style for your events!.. really, its not the best way to go! you should know better!

oh.. and did I hear in the event.. "Mr. Bloom".. !PAUL! Bloom?? hahaha.. at least when he was done, they rectified to "Phillip Bloom" ;)

my 36 cents?

pd.. ok Im going to be nice with you, if you still are reading!.. check this vid out -->

Aw man I really really tried to read all your rant but you just come off as a crazy loony. I think maybe you should have done a bit more research and good luck with going professional, now go get yourself some scooby snacks. People like to help around here but please keep your insane soap box rants to yourself or at least to 2 sentences.

Reactions: bbfpv and Fourblade

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart